Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I Am Probably Crazy....

NekkidIzUs

Lairian
he signed a contract with her cause he figured it was a good deal. but it does say we can just pay $500 more instead of a kitten if she is pregnant. the breeder will be holding her papers until we confirm pregnancy..

NekkidIzUs

Lairian
soo, after talking to everyone on here and researching everything that can go wrong, I emailed the breeder, explained my boyfriend bought her without my consent, and asked if she would be willing to do a refund, or let me take the cat to be thoroughly examined by a vet, including a scan (I found not just 1 but 3 places here in Salt Lake that do it, its almost $500, but they do it.) and her response was, I can just have my money back. I now have the decision to make. Do I rescue this poor baby and bring her home and risk everything that could go bad? Or do I walk away and hope she doesnt go to the same kind of home she has been in...?:Sweat::Cry::Sweat::Cry:

susi794

Staff member
You have to follow your heart--but it's an awful lot to take on with your first sphynx experience. For $1200 you can enjoy a kitten whose parents have been scanned and has a better chance of living a long time without breaking your heart....but if you decide to go with this girl, may she know a better life with you and bring you years of love and affection. Keep us posted.

Ahicks99

Banned
soo, after talking to everyone on here and researching everything that can go wrong, I emailed the breeder, explained my boyfriend bought her without my consent, and asked if she would be willing to do a refund, or let me take the cat to be thoroughly examined by a vet, including a scan (I found not just 1 but 3 places here in Salt Lake that do it, its almost $500, but they do it.) and her response was, I can just have my money back. I now have the decision to make. Do I rescue this poor baby and bring her home and risk everything that could go bad? Or do I walk away and hope she doesnt go to the same kind of home she has been in...?:Sweat::Cry::Sweat::Cry:

Do you have experience with Sphynx cats? Let me tell you from a recent adoptee of two boy kittens coming from a reputable breeder has proved to be a great challenge. The are NOTHING like any cat. This breed is very sensitive. A lot of mamas hurt their kittens and to you its no reason behind it. To all the kittens getting sick. Yes just ask Susi how challenging it is. I've had my boys since early December and have been to the vet 6 times. Just for colds. Love em dearly but in no way would i want a pregnant mama. Shell probably stress really bad just from the move. I'm sorry to be a wet blanket on this just being realistic. Good luck either decision you make will be a good one.

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
you know there should be a sphynx breeder review board or something. Who goes to the breeders house once a year and make sure they are being ethical and loving tword their babies...That would make things a lot easier on buyers and would make people think twice before they breed unethicaly.
Any way I really hope all goes well for you. You have been through so much! Your man is really cute for trying though~you gotta give him props for that. It's just hard when you don't know much about it. Follow your heart <3 we will support you what ever your decision is!

gizmo6370

Banned

You must do what your heart is telling you to do....we could only give our opinion about it....good luck on deceiding:Wink:

NekkidIzUs

Lairian
...and now she says she never offered a refund.... wow, this lady is a piece of work. what she DOESNT know is that my uncle us a lawyer and he is livid about this situation. I think I am just going to let him take it from here. She emailed me and said I could have a refund. I still have it, so she is kind of screwed...:Angry::Angry::Angry:

susi794

Staff member
Sounds like you are making a good decision to steer clear of this person. Your man was so sweet to do something so nice though!

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
I am really touched by the way your boyfriend has handled this case, yep, I guess he really loves you :ThumbsUp: On the other hand of course it has brought you more trouble than joy, but it`s just life.
Personally I would not take a pregnant Sphynx, what is the problem with the breeder, can`t she take her to the vet to determine if she is pregnant or not ? Doesnt she care at all ? I guess it is best to know about the pregnancy as soon as possible, so you can switch the food, add supplements and generally care more about the cat. I have never considered breeding but from what I read it is rather a heartbreaking and costly experience.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got 2 kittens from this breeder that were each blind in one eye from a untreated condition that effected the whole litter. Eventually I found out they were both Herpes pos. Unfortunately I could only afford to get 2 of them out of there. I was not asked for references nor offered a contract. I knew full well what I was doing but was an experienced sphynx owner. 2 other people on this board have also had situations with this breeder. I say don't just run but run like h_ll! I am pretty sure if she gets anything with a Lawyer letterhead she will be in a big hurry to refund you. OK I feel better:Woo:

gizmo6370

Banned
...and now she says she never offered a refund.... wow, this lady is a piece of work. what she DOESNT know is that my uncle us a lawyer and he is livid about this situation. I think I am just going to let him take it from here. She emailed me and said I could have a refund. I still have it, so she is kind of screwed...:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Good luck! :ThumbsUp:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a real problem with breeders to not know their cats and kittens
better than that. If it was me I would know each and everyone of them
inside and out. I would be one of the most hardest breeders out there.
I would know who was getting my babies and they could provide for them
and would love them. I sure would not try to pawn one of mine off on
someone else even if they got pregnant by their brother.
I would take care of that situation, not expect someone else to.
I just can't believe people sometimes. But nothing suprises me anymore.
I would not give her a kitten if I took the kitten, and I would not give her
any more money, and I would report her if I got the kitten or not.
If I found out she is mistreating her cats and kittens.
You never know, the kitten may be breed by her brother or kin.
The babies will not be right if she is. I would get my money back.
I hate it when people are so mean to animals. I will most definately
report someone if I know they abuse and mistreat animals.
Someone has to stand up and speak for them.
I didn't mean to write a book, but this kind of thing or any when it
comes to animals upsets me to no end.

linepp

Banned
I hope everything turns out well for you (as I said earlier, and kudos to your guy for trying so hard to make you happy!). I wish there was some way we could get all of this breeder's cats from her and get them to happy loving homes.... very sad.... :Cry::Cry:

kimmieb

Banned
Wow, that "breeder" has a LOT of Queens up for sale, it's disturbing! Is it normal for a breeder to have that many queens at a time?

I don't think I'd want to go through with adopting from her, but wish you all the best if you decide to.

Back