Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

TanyaMeaw

Lairian
UPDATE: :) While i'm waiting for my paycheck to take Nacho to a vet, I was trying to analyze the situation a little better, thinking of all different things that could be wrong with him... For some reason I'd like to think its IBS, it just makes sense to me the most. He's always got great appetite, never throws up, and is always playful and happy (except for the time i fed him that raw), but his poops are always watery (except for that time i gave him raw) so yesterday i was thinking maybe i gave him that raw too much and too fast so it was a complete shock for his system.... So I tried something a little different, and what a difference it made!!!
I decided to try to introduce him to the raw again... but very carefully and slowly this time. Instead of his usual 3 meals a day I split it up into 6-8 smaller doses so he doesn't chow down too much at a time and has easier time digesting. I gave him tuna with pumpkin in the morning and alternated between the raw and the tuna the whole day. I want to slowly wean him off the tuna completely because if he can get used to the raw its much healthier for him after all...
So this morning he had a good healthy poop! no blood, no mucus, and pretty firm :) yay! I'm still taking him to the vet to test for all the horrible things that it could be, but until i hear otherwise i'd like to believe that its just IBS and i might have found a solution :)
Thank you guys for all your suggestions and good vibes :) I will keep you posted on whats going on :)

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The only problem with feeding tuna is the lack of taurine, a very important vitamin for cats. Otherwise he will get what he needs from the tuna. When people make raw food or you buy it, you have to add those vitamins in for the cat vs the dog who doesn't need them.

There is a brand that you can add to cooked food if you choose NOT to feed raw. So if he tolerated the pumpkin in his tuna he might tolerate the digestive enzymes and vitamins being added in. It is a powder you mix in, you could probably mix it in with the tuna juice and reintroduce it back into the tuna meat. I have a bag of it at home and can give you the name when I get back home. It is not overly expensive compared to buying raw, if you bought tuna and the powder. It is for people who cannot feed raw and want to make their own food. It might be an amenable solution so Nacho gets the importsnt ingredients but is happy.

I will get you the name as soon as I am at home.

Jen

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@SphynxKid Thank you so much! Im going to the states next month and would love to bring some of those supplements back with me :)
Here are a couple of the U- Stew mix. It has the importsnt ingredients for Nacho to be healthy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I hope this helps. This way you can search it out and compare cost wide if it would work for you!

Jen

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Yes! So happy to hear you have an idea what can be wrong with Nacho and that the raw seems to work well for him. Three times hurray for Nacho!!

TanyaMeaw

Lairian
@SphynxKid thank you so much!!! i will look it up :) I think we've figured it out with the raw for now. He's doing much better :)

UPDATE: So we have almost taken tuna out of the equation :) Nacho is doing great!!! I guess the key was to feed him many little portions a day so it doesn't all digest at the same time. I would've never thought that seeing turds would make me so happy haha :) There is no more mucus at all, poops are solid, and no blood, well almost no blood... there would be maybe less then a drop smeared on his butt after he goes, i think its the hemorrhoid adjusting to the new harder poops. It gets better and better. And he's super hungry and active all the time :) Thank you all so much for helping us get through this!... Still looking for a good vet :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've been watching this thread like a hawk. I'm so glad Nacho is doing better. It sometimes take a while to suss these things out. So glad you did and I am sending you positive vibes for finding a good vet!

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@TanyaMeaw
I can not tell you have happy I am to hear this!

With tummy issues it can get really scary, I know as a sphynx mom I have been in panic mode more then once!
I know exactly what you mean about the poops, my mother actually politely requested just the other day that I stop sending her text messages with pictures of Elfies perfect poops :rolleyes:

susi794

Staff member
Have you tried adding a little oil to the raw? And a little water? I think the changing foods could cause the irritation, and if the poor little guy has never had a solid poop, then the passing of a solid stool might cause some bleeding. I wouldn't give up on raw yet. Please keep us informed.
Hugs,
Susi

TanyaMeaw

Lairian
@susi794 Thank you :) The raw is working great :) The guy who makes it said he adds 6 different oils to it, he named them all but i forgot which ones... Nacho's poops are solid, no more blood and mucus present! We're are thrilled :) He is active and always hungry... I think he even gained some weight since he's been eating raw :)

@MelissaAlice haha i have been doing exactly the same thing to my mom :)

@Toa and Ross I've been trying to snap a clear picture of Nacho at play but the little rascal moves too fast and they all come out blurry :) So here is a picture of him hunting the birdies outside on the balcony and a picture of him hunting ME :) He's a serious fellow :)

Nebee12

Lairian
I haven't been here in quite a while... And I'm sorry that I haven't been contributing to this wonderful community, i feel awful... I really need your help, advise, suggestions, anything! I think my cat might die...
If you have a minute, please read my story, sorry its kinda long...

My Nacho is 4 years old and has always had soft stool, no matter what he ate his stool would be kinda like McDonald's ice-cream consistency. We took him to the vets and did all sorts of tests when he was little. And the doctors just kept telling us to switch food and that all his tests are ok... When he was about 8 months old I moved in with my mom, who has two hairy kitties. She feeds her cats cheap MeowMix brand. Surprisingly it helped Nacho a little... His stools became a little harder but still not quite what i would call normal, but it was better that anything he's tried before. Also I gotta mention, sometimes when he would poop, even when he was eating MeowMix, he'd strain so much that his butt would turn inside out creating a thin tiny red ring around his anus, and then would go back to normal right away when he was finished.

About a year and a half ago I moved overseas to Israel. And the nightmare began...

I couldn't find MeowMix here so I tried every expensive and then not so expensive brand in the store. Nothing worked. I tried feeding him raw chicken, raw beef, then cooked chicken with rice, cooked beef with rice, added eggs to the raw food, even tried hotdogs... Nothing helped and it kept getting worse. He started having mucus come out after almost every poo... Finally I found the MeowMix but that too didn't make things better this time... Desperate to help my cat, i went and bought anti-diarrhea medicine for babies... that didn't help either...

About 6 months ago I noticed blood in his stool and rushed him to the vet. Spent hundreds of dollars on every test possible only to be told that there is nothing wrong with him except a little hemorrhoid. That tests show he's in perfect health, and that i need to switch food and treat his hemorrhoid with human cream making sure he doesn't lick it off... Please keep in mind I live in Israel, not America. It seems like vets here are not very qualified, and are not too caring... He also suggested that maybe its a gluten allergy... Its not, I've tried every possible non gluten brand i could find.

Then Nacho began losing weight, rapidly... He started to poop 5-6 times a day, McDonald's consistency with mucus and sometimes a little blood. He's a small cat, about 8 lbs, he went down to 5.5lbs in a matter of two weeks. His eating habits didn't change, he was still eating the same amount of food and always had great appetite... I took him to a different vet, he said the same thing as before. Nacho is in good health except for a hemorrhoid and a few things on his blood test tested a little low but still in the normal range...

Nacho kept getting worse... He became so skinny that i could see his ribs and spine. I didn't know what to do... I didn't know what to feed him... It broke my heart. I was desperate, and still am...

Then one day while going through all the things I've tried to feed him in my head, I realized I haven't tried tuna. I went out and got him a few cans of Starkest... And what do you know, he started to gain weight and began to poop only 1-2 times a day. The catch? His stools became so liquidy, it was basically brown water. But there was no more blood or mucus. He gained all his weight back, and then some, even faster than he lost it. But i was still facing a problem, his poops were horrible diarrhea... But it was better than going 5 times a day and losing weight like he did... So i kept feeding him tuna while trying to figure out my next steps.

Vets here are super expensive and I don't have the funds to keep taking him to hear the same thing I've already heard so many times before... Plus they don't care about cats here, there are so many homeless felines here that they are looked upon as rodents... Its terrible...

A few days ago, my husband's coworker mentioned that he feeds his dog raw food he purchases from a local online company. We couldn't find brand raw food anywhere in Israel before, so we got super excited. Its packed with vitamins, protein, fiber, everything a cat needs. Yesterday it arrived...

Nacho chowed it down like there is no tomorrow... We waited to examine his poop. When it came i almost jumped up, it was normal! First time in his life it was more or less normal. At the end there was a little drop of blood... Its ok i thought, after all he does have a little hemorrhoid...

Unfortunately our happiness was very short lived... Today, when he went, there was lots of blood, he never had that much before... It was always only about a drop, but now he was really bleeding. His poop was solid like the time before but it was covered in red. I know it didn't come from the stomach, otherwise it would be black... Then 5 minutes later he went in his litter box and his butt swelled up really big and he squeezed out a few drops of blood with no fecal matter at all. He did that 3 times, just blood...

Its been about an hour since, he's asleep now... And I again feel desperate and hopeless... I feel like I'm a horrible mother who's failed her child... I feel like I'm killing him... I feel guilt... I can't take him to the vet until the paycheck on the 10th of next month... I know i will be told the same thing as before, "switch food, treat his hemorrhoid with human stuff"...

What do I do? How can i help my child??? Should i go back to tuna and let him have liquid poops?... at least tuna helped him gain weight back and there was never any blood from it... Should i keep giving him the new raw food that makes his stool solid but bloody, and try to treat his hemorrhoid instead? PLEASE give me some advise... I am very scared and very confused as to what i should do next... I don't want to lose him...

Thank you for reading... I will appreciate any... ANY suggestions! Please help...
I haven't been here in quite a while... And I'm sorry that I haven't been contributing to this wonderful community, i feel awful... I really need your help, advise, suggestions, anything! I think my cat might die...

My Nacho is 4 years old and has always had soft stool, no matter what he ate his stool would be kinda like McDonald's ice-cream consistency. We took him to the vets and did all sorts of tests when he was little. And the doctors just kept telling us to switch food and that all his tests are ok... When he was about 8 months old I moved in with my mom, who has two hairy kitties. She feeds her cats cheap MeowMix brand. Surprisingly it helped Nacho a little... His stools became a little harder but still not quite what i would call normal, but it was better that anything he's tried before. Also I gotta mention, sometimes when he would poop, even when he was eating MeowMix, he'd strain so much that his butt would turn inside out creating a thin tiny red ring around his anus, and then would go back to normal right away when he was finished.

About a year and a half ago I moved overseas to Israel. And the nightmare began...

I couldn't find MeowMix here so I tried every expensive and then not so expensive brand in the store. Nothing worked. I tried feeding him raw chicken, raw beef, then cooked chicken with rice, cooked beef with rice, added eggs to the raw food, even tried hotdogs... Nothing helped and it kept getting worse. He started having mucus come out after almost every poo... Finally I found the MeowMix but that too didn't make things better this time... Desperate to help my cat, i went and bought anti-diarrhea medicine for babies... that didn't help either...

About 6 months ago I noticed blood in his stool and rushed him to the vet. Spent hundreds of dollars on every test possible only to be told that there is nothing wrong with him except a little hemorrhoid. That tests show he's in perfect health, and that i need to switch food and treat his hemorrhoid with human cream making sure he doesn't lick it off... Please keep in mind I live in Israel, not America. It seems like vets here are not very qualified, and are not too caring... He also suggested that maybe its a gluten allergy... Its not, I've tried every possible non gluten brand i could find.

Then Nacho began losing weight, rapidly... He started to poop 5-6 times a day, McDonald's consistency with mucus and sometimes a little blood. He's a small cat, about 8 lbs, he went down to 5.5lbs in a matter of two weeks. His eating habits didn't change, he was still eating the same amount of food and always had great appetite... I took him to a different vet, he said the same thing as before. Nacho is in good health except for a hemorrhoid and a few things on his blood test tested a little low but still in the normal range...

Nacho kept getting worse... He became so skinny that i could see his ribs and spine. I didn't know what to do... I didn't know what to feed him... It broke my heart. I was desperate, and still am...

Then one day while going through all the things I've tried to feed him in my head, I realized I haven't tried tuna. I went out and got him a few cans of Starkest... And what do you know, he started to gain weight and began to poop only 1-2 times a day. The catch? His stools became so liquidy, it was basically brown water. But there was no more blood or mucus. He gained all his weight back, and then some, even faster than he lost it. But i was still facing a problem, his poops were horrible diarrhea... But it was better than going 5 times a day and losing weight like he did... So i kept feeding him tuna while trying to figure out my next steps.

Vets here are super expensive and I don't have the funds to keep taking him to hear the same thing I've already heard so many times before... Plus they don't care about cats here, there are so many homeless felines here that they are looked upon as rodents... Its terrible...

A few days ago, my husband's coworker mentioned that he feeds his dog raw food he purchases from a local online company. We couldn't find brand raw food anywhere in Israel before, so we got super excited. Its packed with vitamins, protein, fiber, everything a cat needs. Yesterday it arrived...

Nacho chowed it down like there is no tomorrow... We waited to examine his poop. When it came i almost jumped up, it was normal! First time in his life it was more or less normal. At the end there was a little drop of blood... Its ok i thought, after all he does have a little hemorrhoid...

Unfortunately our happiness was very short lived... Today, when he went, there was lots of blood, he never had that much before... It was always only about a drop, but now he was really bleeding. His poop was solid like the time before but it was covered in red. I know it didn't come from the stomach, otherwise it would be black... Then 5 minutes later he went in his litter box and his butt swelled up really big and he squeezed out a few drops of blood with no fecal matter at all. He did that 3 times, just blood...

Its been about an hour since, he's asleep now... And I again feel desperate and hopeless... I feel like I'm a horrible mother who's failed her child... I feel like I'm killing him... I feel guilt... I can't take him to the vet until the paycheck on the 10th of next month... I know i will be told the same thing as before, "switch food, treat his hemorrhoid with human stuff"...

What do I do? How can i help my child??? Should i go back to tuna and let him have liquid poops?... at least tuna helped him gain weight back and there was never any blood from it... Should i keep giving him the new raw food that makes his stool solid but bloody, and try to treat his hemorrhoid instead? PLEASE give me some advise... I am very scared and very confused as to what i should do next... I don't want to lose him...

Thank you for reading... I will appreciate any... ANY suggestions! Please help...

Nebee12

Lairian
h

Nebee12

Lairian

Nebee12

Lairian
Sorry to hear about your cat being so sensitive with food. My Rosie is the same. The vet put her on a prescription cat food that I can only get through them. It is called W/D, low fat glucose management-gastrointestinal. It is actually much cheaper than some of the more expensive brands in the store. Rosie loves it and her stools are normal for the most part. I also give her dry food from Bench and Field, the herbal formula. If I stray from these two items, she has a problem. When I don't she is good. I can't believe a vet did not tell you about the W/D cat food. Also at one point the vet put her on acidophilus, a cat formula, and that helped also. Good luck with finding a good vet. Naomi

Back