Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten digging litter at 5am!

Kendel

Lairian
For the past few days my kitten has got into the habit of digging in her litterbox for quite a long time around 5am.
The box is in the hallway outside my bedroom so it always wakes me up, is it just her playing or something else?
It just seems a bit strange because it's like clockwork everyday!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Well at least you know she is "regular." LOL. Unless something looks different in the box, I would assume she is just enjoying the digging. We can always tell when Babas is in the box...it sounds like he is digging his way to China!

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kendel ,We also have china diggers too and right before the alarm clock goes off!

I do recommend checking to see that your kitten is peeing good normal volumes and not constipated or has diarrhea-

If all fine, you have a digger alarm like us! They get used to the routine of about the time we get up

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Kendel : I have two diggers in here too. Early in the morning, 5.30 sharp, my first boy starts digging. The digging can last for like 5 minutes. When he's ready my other boys takes over and start digging in the other box.

I alway think they feel like prisoners trying to dig their way to freedom:)!

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh you should hear mine dig Riley digs all the way to China and back before he'll pooh and then he'll pretend cover it by snacking the sides of box even smacking the toilet lid (as litter box next to toilet) not much can be done when they got to go they got to go it's not as if one can restrict it.

sbrownw

Lairian
My 18 week old sphynxie kitten digs so much that poop falls out :( he's such a trouble maker. I have to keep at least one piece of poop in the box to discourage him from digging but in the past few days he hasn't seemed to care if the box is dirty or not :(

Toa and Ross

Staff member
My 18 week old sphynxie kitten digs so much that poop falls out :( he's such a trouble maker. I have to keep at least one piece of poop in the box to discourage him from digging but in the past few days he hasn't seemed to care if the box is dirty or not :(

Digging is one thing but flying poop is not funny at all. Do you use an open or a "closed" litterbox? If you use an open litterbox maybe a closed one will help to keep the poop in the box?

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Or use a litter box that is deep remember many things can serve as a litter box my litter box for example as I can't have two due to side of flat is a baby bath it has high sides and is big gives loads of room. Litter box doesn't have to be a container specially made for a litter box there is many items that intact work better and stop flying poop lol

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use the Breeze System and thank goodness I do!

When Dexter was a kitten, I used regular litter and he would dig in it like it's a sandbox. Especially after I would put in all fresh litter.
Gemma's breeder trained her with wood pellets. I tried switching Dexter over to the wood pellets, but I don't think he cared for the smell - neither did I.
I moved to a new apartment and we started off with the Breeze System. Gemma took to it immediately. Dexter seemed a bit hesitant, but he got used to it the first day.

They still dig and dig and dig - and it's way louder than litter since they're pushing pellets around, but there is virtually no mess.
Sure a few pellets get kicked out, but I can just throw them back in or sweep them up. SO EASY and clean. I love it. I can't even imagine how full of litter my apartment would be with those 2 little diggers.

Also, they are pretty regular. I'm usually home when they poop so I scoop it out right away. The urine goes through the grate onto a pad which I have never been able to smell.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
OMG, there are times when Max has not finished digging the perfect hole and he starts to poop while still digging!!!! Then he quickly finishes his hole, repositions himself and finishes.

sbrownw

Lairian
Digging is one thing but flying poop is not funny at all. Do you use an open or a "closed" litterbox? If you use an open litterbox maybe a closed one will help to keep the poop in the box?

We have two open ones and one closed one and he just loves them all :( although he's gotten better. Poopy feet only about once a day when it used to be about three or four times a day

Toa and Ross

Staff member
We have two open ones and one closed one and he just loves them all :( although he's gotten better. Poopy feet only about once a day when it used to be about three or four times a day

Good to hear the poopy feet are less. Hopefully the poopy feet will be gone soon!

Back