Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Litter grains caught in claws :(

Kelly Munoz

Lairian
Hello!

My sphynx baby is almost 4 months old, and I've had him for officially a month today! My breeder used Tidy Cats and said he never had an issue so I got the same one, and she was right, he took to it right away and hasn't had an accident yet!

Unfortunately, I find that that the tiny grains are getting caught in two particular claw sockets (not sure what to call them, just around the claw) and you can see that it's causing the skin around the claw to be red and inflamed. I showed the vet and she said they're not infected but I need to either change the litter, or be diligent about cleaning his claws/paws out everyday with hydrogen peroxide.

Any ideas on good clumping litters that could fix this? I can tell it bothers him when I try to clean those specific claws so I just want to change it immediately :(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kelly Munoz ,Time flies! Looking forward to pictures!
I have never heard of using peroxide-
I do like vetericyn VF spray for anyy skin irritations and like its non toxic
Perhaps an infant soft toothbrush too for nails

I use dr elseys precious cat unscented in the blue bag with great results
Learned of it here on the lair

I get at chewy.com with free shipping over $49 anger get food there too many wins free bag or case - tiki cat etc)

Kelly Munoz

Lairian
Oh great, I'll have to see if that litter can work for my baby!

Here he is :)

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3060.jpg
    IMG_3060.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 76

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I love your baby's face! He looks a LOT like my Queen Cleopatra with that adorable smudgy nose. Good luck with the litter problem!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello!

My sphynx baby is almost 4 months old, and I've had him for officially a month today! My breeder used Tidy Cats and said he never had an issue so I got the same one, and she was right, he took to it right away and hasn't had an accident yet!

Unfortunately, I find that that the tiny grains are getting caught in two particular claw sockets (not sure what to call them, just around the claw) and you can see that it's causing the skin around the claw to be red and inflamed. I showed the vet and she said they're not infected but I need to either change the litter, or be diligent about cleaning his claws/paws out everyday with hydrogen peroxide.

Any ideas on good clumping litters that could fix this? I can tell it bothers him when I try to clean those specific claws so I just want to change it immediately :(
Here is a good poll on litters - What brand cat litter do you use? :)

renewedmind

Banned
There was a type of natural litter that a vet gave me long long time ago after I had had front claws declawed I know shame on me but at that time I didn't know what they did I thought it was like removing a dewclaw from a dog they just pulled the claw out but anyway I haven't done it with any cat since I learned what they really do... I digress anyway the litter was in a pellet form way to big to get stuck in his cuticles around his claws but was very absorbent that or you could try some of the old style clay litter... I found some one time at Walmart super cheap so I didn't know it it would be any good or not but it had huge granules worked just the same .... If clay litter is bad sorry I didn't know

Kelly Munoz

Lairian
Thank you all! He is my very adorable little boy :) I switched litters to a walnut based, Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh, which seems to be way better on his claws!

Except now the issue is smell! It does not cover up the smell nearlllly as well as Tidy Cats did. He took to it really well when I switched it, I didn't even have to combine the old brand with the new, I just put all new, and he did okay!

But I'm scared if I switch again, he won't take to it as well. The smell though is tough on my apartment small living space so I may need to switch again.

singaporesphynx

Lairian
Breeder's Celect is non clumping but paper based and very soft on their paws. Plus it smells good (like books!) and absorbs odours very well, and the pellets are easy to throw back in if they get kicked out. We live in an apartment and can't even smell the litter box.

renewedmind

Banned
How about the litter that is used for like bird cages and such most is corn based but they make some my grandma got once which was basically recycled newspapers in tinly little calendar chunks it should be Abel to absorb pretty well idk about smell compensation though may just have to do some plug in stuff or something like that and clean it all the timr

Reina

Lairian
We use Dr. Elseys but I have noticed lately that it has had a lot of dust and the texture has been changing from bag to bag, our breeder even noticed the difference as well. :( I have heard a lot of good things about world's best and about sWheat. I would really like to try sWheat since it's natural but my boyfriend has told me he read some bad reviews about bugs being found in the litter? Anyone else experience this?

HappyLilSphynx

Lairian
Your little guy is gorgeous!

I've used arm and hammer (including the clump ad seal); safari didn't have any issues with it; the clump and seal seems to have smaller pieces than the multi cat)

I tried some of the more natural litters, and neither cat took to them (the one that was corn(I think) based attracted some small weevil-type beetles - I had never seem anywhere else I've lived, so it may be something in this general area). I recently learned about something called "pretty litter"that looked like it had small granules, but I've never seen it so I can't tell (the litter supposedly changes color if the cat has certain issues, hence the "pretty" part of the name).

Let us know what works! Good luck!

draconusgryph

Lairian
I am having a litter problem, not so much the litter, just the company isn't making it anymore. I don't want to use the tidy cat they have now because it says it has glade in it. I can't get litter online. Is there another brand of clumping for multi cats, my Ruby is stinky lol. I live in Canada.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am having a litter problem, not so much the litter, just the company isn't making it anymore. I don't want to use the tidy cat they have now because it says it has glade in it. I can't get litter online. Is there another brand of clumping for multi cats, my Ruby is stinky lol. I live in Canada.

I used to use Dr. Elsey's and feel it's definitely one of the best litters out there. But once I tried Intersand's OdourLock (Canadian, YAY!), I won't use anything else.

INTERSAND® - Odourlock - Unscented

The packaging says you use less litter than other brands, which I thought was impossible... but yes, I use less of this litter than I did any of the others I tried. I have nooooo idea how this works except that less is needed to clump my nakeds' waste. I feed raw, so they pee a LOT, and I think this litter is a miracle.

This litter is very popular in Ontario but not so much outside the province. I'm in BC and where I used to buy it (Tisol), they've stopped carrying it. I contacted Intersand who led me to the West Coast supplier of pet supply places who led me to a nearby pet shop that will bring this in for me (they carry other Intersand products but not OdourLock -- but they're happy to bring it in for me).

Any way, if you can't find Dr. Elsey's contact Intersand directly for who carries OdourLock in your area.

Cheers!

Back