Poll : At what age did you Sphynx pass away?

At what age did you Sphynx pass away?

• Total voters
I sadly lost my first sphynx at the age of 7. She had HCM but it was kidney failure that she ended up passing from due to all the medications for her heart. She also had mild heart failure when she was diagnosed, I was lucky to get 2yrs with her after diagnosis.

I now have 2 adoptees Dolly who is 7 and Otis who is 6. I am planning on getting them scanned just to have an all clear (they don't have any symptoms but not all that have HCM do) but am nervous about it. I think after having Agnes and a k-9 both pass of a type of heart disease it is gut-wrenching every time you go for a scan. (my dog had a mass on his aorta we did fluid checks on him every week for 6 -8 weeks before his passing)

I lost my loving baby boy Bingo, a 4 years 3 month Sphynx to HCM as well. Within 3 hours, he was gone. From the time he felt sick out of a sudden to drive to vet and then drive to hospital. I miss him everyday! I lost him on April 9th.

He was a very healthy 12 lbs. cat, never a problem or a sign of anything. I was working from home during that past 2 years. Bingo was the first Sphynx at my (friends) vet clinic but now the she has so many Sphynx patients. She agreed to notify all her clients to have an annual ultrasound, to check the Sphynx hearts. A regular check up will not find any abnormalities.

Thank you for putting this out. I myself called the Sphynx breeder and asked her if she knew of any other case, and she said no. So thank you again.
I'm so so sorry for your loss - just 4 days after my own. That must have been such a devastating shock! I struggle to even imagine being in that situation...
We had 2 months between the first thrombus and the second, and although it didn't make losing Butchie any easier, at least we could prepare somewhat mentally, knowing it was coming.

Thank you for sharing and adding your vote! Sending you BIG hugs xx

I have to admit that I didn’t look at this thread until today. My Raphael turned 7 on April 22 and I was afraid to find out how long Sphynx kitties might live. Then I decided that it would be good to know.

What I know for sure:
Raphael is my first ever Sphynx kitty. I knew absolutely nothing about the breed when I decided to get one. I could only find one breeder in my Province when I started looking 8 years ago. What I know now, she was not a good breeder. When I picked up my kitty her stomach was bloated. I thought this was normal because I had never seen a Sphynx in person. I did not see another single cat in the house. My kitty was trying to eat a metal pop can tab she found on the floor. So I scooped her up, put her in my crate, amd drove the two hours to my City and went straight to the vet.

At the first visit my vet asked me all kinds of questions I couldn’t answer. No information was provided by my breeder. My kitty had a nasty mark on her leg so an x-ray was taken. Blood work was done and I found out she has a heart murmur.

I take her to the vet anytime I am concerned. She gets blood work done every year and every visit the vet monitors her heart. Her murmur has not changed from day 1.

I enjoy every single day I have with her. I feel lucky she has made it to age 7. I hope she will be here for many more years.

Unfortunately once my Raphael passes on I won’t be getting another. My husband’s allergies are too bad and I think I will choose him over a Sphynx LOL. But at the same time I know he has a special bond to Raphael and cuddles her even though he suffers from his allergies so maybe……

Here is a picture of my 7 year old baby only because I love seeing everyone’s pictures and sharing mine!View attachment 114798
It sure sounds like you rescued Raphael just in time! She certainly is a stunning girl :love:

I knew there was a poll about it but couldn't find it anymore when @Cinafina asked! Thanks for posting the link
Also, I’d be happy to add my vote. I did do a poll on this a few years ago that you might be interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You were right! :giggle: In order to get the most data possible, I will add the votes from that poll to this poll, but only those made by members that haven't posted on this one and/or are no longer active.

Cinafina, This is a really very important post. It is the elephant in the room about Sphynx ownership. It is also the opening to sharing the feelings of loss, spread across every age of cat ownership, more specifically Sphynx ownership. It is an avenue for sharing the decision to be open to love of a Sphynx again. I think you will find that many will thank you.
Thank you for saying that! I was a bit concerned about making the poll, but I think it's important too.

While the stats do feel saddening along with the many stories of HCM, the ages of some members' living nakids are giving me hope! You have to take these into account as well to get the full picture :giggle:

@Cinafina, it so true that it is heartening to know that there is curve and you can have your kitty for longer than you might have thought. Remember, though, that no matter how long they are with you, the experience is really beautiful and probably none of us would say we are sorry for it.

@Cinafina , awh, hugs. keep in mind, we have lots of members. often times we do not hear from folks when all is going well and no issues with their nakids.
I know there are many members out there with seniors that may not be active members and all is going good. I have started post in past let us see your adoptees/rescues.
I will start a post let us see your seniors. (helps my heart too)

Last edited:
What I will say about studies like these is they often make assertions based on a small denominator that cannot indicate a real trend. I do studies for a living and what I can tell you is the lower the denominator, the less reliable the study conclusion is. The article pointed out that at least one group likely only had 15 in the sample size. That is not enough to extrapolate a conclusion from.

I also want to point out that the full study was pulling data from deaths logged at vets. They did not account for kitties passing peacefully at home. It is logical to conclude that most cats are taken to the vet when there is a health concern.

Don’t let the articles cause you undue fear.

I do think the study is useful for overall lifespan, I just don’t think there is a large enough sample of specific breeds to assign a life span to that subgroup.

Back