Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scooting

Kenneth

Lairian
My 8 year old girl has a habit of scooting after coming out of the litter box. She leaves a poop streak on the carpeting. She is healthy and on a raw diet. The vet has examined her a few times and squeezed her glands. I now take her monthly to my groomers to have her glands expressed which helps some but still leaving nasty streaks on the carpeting.

Any advice? I'm wearing the carpeting out with the carpet steam cleaner.

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My 8 year old girl has a habit of scooting after coming out of the litter box. She leaves a poop streak on the carpeting. She is healthy and on a raw diet. The vet has examined her a few times and squeezed her glands. I now take her monthly to my groomers to have her glands expressed which helps some but still leaving nasty streaks on the carpeting.

Sounds like she may need more fiber in her diet to help her naturally express her glands, OR you can try to add oil into her diet to help the glands not get backed up and express more naturally on their own. I do not feed a raw diet, so I am not sure how to add more fiber, but as far as the oil, you can add a bit of olive oil, or fish oils to help her.

The other option would be to have her glands removed. It is really no harm to her. There have been a few people that have had it done here for other cats, not necessarily sphynx who may be able to give you some advice on the procedure such as down time for your kitty and cost for the procedure.

Jen

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

What is the consistency of her poop? From what I have read, if their poop is not hard enough, it does not apply the necessary pressure to the anal glands during a bowel movement. This can result in scooting.

Molly did this when she was sick with diarrhea a few months back and I was totally horrified LOL. I can't imagine having to do this every day!

What type of raw is she eating? How long has she been on it?

Kenneth

Lairian
Her stools seem pretty solid. She's been on a chicken and seafood raw diet for close to a year. My boy is an extremely picky eater and before this diet they both always had the type of diarrhea that you had to wipe them down from head to tail. Since the switch I haven't had to do that any longer.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Surgery might be needed. If expressing them hasn't helped much.
Then, that's more than likely what is needed.
My Sister has a sphynx that had the surgery. Never another problem.
It's not a bad surgery.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
To bulk up on fiber try science diet hair ball formula dry it often firms stool it also comes in treats. Also plain canned pumpkin added to wet food.

Good luck
Her stools seem pretty solid. She's been on a chicken and seafood raw diet for close to a year. My boy is an extremely picky eater and before this diet they both always had the type of diarrhea that you had to wipe them down from head to tail. Since the switch I haven't had to do that any longer.
n

Kenneth

Lairian
Surgery is out of the question. After spending close to 9000.00 last year at the emergency clinic to remove part of a chewed up Kong Classic dog toy we also found out she's a hemophiliac.

I've also tried Pumpkin with no such luck. Guess I'll just keep using the Bissell Carpet cleaner until the carpet wears out.

Back