Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Draugia

Lairian
Hey all! I'm new here and I got my first sphynx 2 months ago.
I was looking for information here, cause my baby got some spots on skin :( She already had them in cattery, but they were really small and only on her back and chin, so I though its just pigment or sebum (i have chinese crested dog and when autumn/winter is comming he allways have simmilar spots of pigment when his skin starts to be brighten). It's not any problem for my kitty, cause it's not itchy and wasn't any problem for me aswell till now - now she has allmost all stomach, legs and neck brown and I can't wash it off :shifty: I though she's so dirty cause in those 2 months I bath her only 2 times...but few days ago, when I washed her it occured that it's not probably dirt, cause I was using exfoliating gloves, tried coconut oil before the bath (I don't know how long shoud it be on skin before washing it off), but it didn't help a lot - only a bit on her hind legs.
It would be strange if it was yeast, cause the spots aren't itchy, they are really huge, but when I was trying to wash them off on my sphynx hind legs - they mostly last on black markings not on white skin. There are no bumps, no blushed skin, no strange smell, the skin is smooth...but I'm affraid it could be yeast anyway :cry: What you guys think?

I read here about Words Best litter...I'm from Europe (Poland) and here we have Cat's Best litter that seem to be the same or simmilar - natural clumping litter - that I was using before I bough my sphynx lady, so didnt even think it could be bad for her. I don't want to change the litter, cause this one is quite economic, odour-absorbable and my cats like it more than other litters...So - is there any way to add something or do something with this kind of litter so it won't be causing yeast?

Please help me and my little sphynx lady! :sorry:

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey all! I'm new here and I got my first sphynx 2 months ago.
I was looking for information here, cause my baby got some spots on skin :( She already had them in cattery, but they were really small and only on her back and chin, so I though its just pigment or sebum (i have chinese crested dog and when autumn/winter is comming he allways have simmilar spots of pigment when his skin starts to be brighten). It's not any problem for my kitty, cause it's not itchy and wasn't any problem for me aswell till now - now she has allmost all stomach, legs and neck brown and I can't wash it off :shifty: I though she's so dirty cause in those 2 months I bath her only 2 times...but few days ago, when I washed her it occured that it's not probably dirt, cause I was using exfoliating gloves, tried coconut oil before the bath (I don't know how long shoud it be on skin before washing it off), but it didn't help a lot - only a bit on her hind legs.
It would be strange if it was yeast, cause the spots aren't itchy, they are really huge, but when I was trying to wash them off on my sphynx hind legs - they mostly last on black markings not on white skin. There are no bumps, no blushed skin, no strange smell, the skin is smooth...but I'm affraid it could be yeast anyway :cry: What you guys think?

I read here about Words Best litter...I'm from Europe (Poland) and here we have Cat's Best litter that seem to be the same or simmilar - natural clumping litter - that I was using before I bough my sphynx lady, so didnt even think it could be bad for her. I don't want to change the litter, cause this one is quite economic, odour-absorbable and my cats like it more than other litters...So - is there any way to add something or do something with this kind of litter so it won't be causing yeast?

Please help me and my little sphynx lady! :sorry:
Would it be possible for you to post pics of these brown spots?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of members on here that are really well versed in skin issues. Once you post the pics they will jump right in if they have a hunch for you.

patti

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't think it's the litter, it's made of wood material and World's Best is from corn (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). I use the same stuff and no yeast problems for my boys.

And welcome to the Lair!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Yes, it would be helpful if you could post pics.
The world's best cat litter is made from corn.
More than likely, if it was yeast it would be red, bumps, itching,
she would be miserable.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm just wondering what color is your kitty litter? My daughter uses a brown litter made from walnuts and I've heard it can stain a sphynx so I never tried it.

Draugia

Lairian
Hi all!
Thanks for response!
So I'm adding pictures: first 2 are in cattery, I can see some little brown spots on her neck/shoulders there, but maybe I'm just touchy about that ;) Next 2 pictures (unfortunately with flash) are made today - you can see big brown spots on her abdomen, neck and legs :(
And last picture is the litter we're using and you're right - it's made from wood not corn.

The spots aren't red , no bumps, she's feeling fine - not miserable. I don't think the spots are ichy - she's not scratching them, just wasching herself quite often (as person interested in hairless dogs, can tell they're washing themselves a lot more than "hairy" dogs, so it's normal for me).

It's freaking me out :( Here vets don't know much about sphynx sebum/dirt - they allways say it must be skin issue. I'm vet technician and still don't know if it's yeast or not - her ears don't smell like yeast for sure.

P.S. This is my kitty when she was younger, in cattery: http://img13.tablica.pl/images_tabl...kanadyjskie-canadian-sphynx-sfinks_rev009.jpg

Attachments

• 4 (350x510).jpg
    4 (350x510).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 7. (518x603).jpg
    7. (518x603).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 219
  • PC018559 (640x605).jpg
    PC018559 (640x605).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 230
  • PC018560 (800x797).jpg
    PC018560 (800x797).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 218
  • PC018558 (640x480).jpg
    PC018558 (640x480).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It looks like the same thing another Larian has been talking about, Check out the posts under the Health heading. Look at those pics and see if its the same. Good luck.

Draugia

Lairian
Andrea - thanks! I checked all (I guess) simmilar posts before I wrote this one, but still I'm not sure what's going on with my little lady :(
And tommorow I'm going to rescue (or buy if the owner won't give the cat for free) other young sphynx...hope it's not yeast so the new one won't have it too :(

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Looks similar to Toothy's but his is bumpy. I don't know for sure but it doesn't sound like your baby's problem is yeast, though.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No, I don't think it is yeast, it would be red bumps and broken out in patches.
Plus, itching and very miserable. I don't know.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If she isn't itchy or scabby and there is no smell.....it could just be pigmentation
But it could be an allergy. Environmental or food related. Try to stick to just one food protein for awhile. Also try using a food with no corn, wheat or soy. My cat with contact allergies can not use the natural litters because she is allergic to it. So I went to a clay litter with no scent or additives. Also try using a free and clear laundry soap and dryer sheet.
Try using a facial scrub brush when bathing. You can get them from a cosmetics store.
The other thing is she could be dry . try adding a fatty acid to her diet such as flax seed oil or fish oil. Remember to add them at half the recommended dose for the the first two weeks as oils are laxatives and you don't want her to get runny poo.

Draugia

Lairian
Thanks a lot for all advices! I dont think it's pigmentation - I mean it shouldn't be, she looked a lot different than she looks now. She shouldn't have food allergy too - she's eating the same food (Royal Canin Kitten) all the time, but I'll have to check if she's not stealing food from my other cats.
I'll change her shampoo to this soap, but do you think I should use coconut oil before bathing her? It helped a bit on her hind legs, but not much.
I have spray for dry skin - I wanted use it before on my sphynx, cause she had dry skin on her tail, but I though that I wory too much and may change her skin PH or something. Do you think I should try it on the spots?

tannytime

Lairian
Looks like skin pigmentation to me. A lot of Sphynx change colors when they get older. If it isn't raised, red, or itchy, it likely isn't an allergy whereby something is coming in contact with the skin. I did some research online and apparently hyper pigmentation of the skin COULD be an indicator of a food allergy. http://www.healthypawspetinsurance....sses-in-cats-food-allergies-and-intolerances/ Although, the fact that there are no other symptoms or indicators (itching) makes me think it is just pigmentation.

Back