Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Breeder scam

Ava7211

Lairian
I found a breeder and their kittens are listed for $650 with free shipping. This already seems like a scam to me but the guy called me and sent videos and pictures of all the cats. He sounded foreign on the phone and just asked for my address and phone number and said once i pay via zelle or Google pay that he would send the rest of the forms. I also asked if I could just go to his house instead to pick it up and he said i could and sent me his address. It’s about 12 hours away from where I live so I just asked that to see if he would decline or not. Would any experts be able to look at their site and tell me if they think it’s a scam?
Thank you!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Try looking up the pictures on a Google search. Many scammers take pictures off the web, so that mIgot be an easy way to figure it out. Also, you can search the address on Google maps or other sites, to see if it is legit or just a random address.

However, this doesn’t sound right to me. Like you say, the prices are very low, and a HUGE red flag is that they want you to pay BEFORE you get “the rest of the forms,” and without meeting the kitten and them. if you are really Internet-savvy, you could try to trace their location and see if they are really in the US or not.

Most, if not all, legitimate breeders only want you to put a deposit on your kitten choice, with the balance due when the cat is picked up or delivered. Breeders should be able to send you pictures with something with the date on it, like a newspaper or date stamp, and the breeder we used for Marcus had no problem showing us her breeding setup, and she even allowed us to visit whenever we wanted, within reason.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Ava7211 go with your gut. I would personally pass after seeing many red flags imho.
highly recommend the link on fraud tips and the reputable breeder thread in the sphynx info center.

you can post a thread for recommendations of reputable breeders in your area. I have one I can share if you like.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Ava7211 Thank you for sharing your story with us. I think it is important that people understand they are not alone if they have been scammed and we all learn from one another. I did remove the name of the cattery/breeder as they cannot be posted in the public areas of the community, only through PMs. You can message the name if any ask in a private message.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@mandachan6 , welcome to the lair family. in reading this older thread, tooo many RED flags IMHO.

please..... start your own thread in the adoption section "looking for reputable breeder recommendation" and your location.
we can PM you reputable breeders.

we are here for you.

Back