Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Chow time

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was a little late lol. They have assigned seats (so nobody steals food). In the picture 2 of them are in their assigned seats. The 3rd one is too hyper to sit still but she will meet me at her spot when she sees me walking over there with her bowl.

Chow time.jpg

Sheldon13

Staff member
That’s neat though that you have them trained to assigned seats.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That’s neat though that you have them trained to assigned seats.
It was easy actually. The 2 girls were already trained. When Henry came along it was just an incremental change.

The 2 girls.....I had to train them early on because they eat different amounts. In the beginning, they would walk around as I was trying to put their bowls down. Of course they would end up at the wrong bowl. If that didn't drive me nuts, one of them would smell both bowls and only then decide which one she wanted to eat from!

So the only way I could keep my sanity was to give them assigned places - Sunday to my left and Precious to my right. I would stand with the bowls in my hand and wait. A couple of times I had to physically move them myself but believe me they caught on fast. I even moved twice and the same thing worked....just stand still and wait for them to get into place. They automatically went to my left and my right side. So easy!

When Henry came along he would jump on my kitchen cart ....hmmm, why not just feed him there? So that became his spot. Then I thought, why am I feeding the girls on the floor? All I had to do for them was start putting their food where I wanted them to go. One has a lowish shelf and another one has to climb on a buffet in the dining room (there's a short cat tree beside it so she makes 2 short jumps). Believe me they catch on fast when there's food involved!

PS: the kitchen cart is only used for making cat food and as a feeding station; I don't use it for human food which is why I let them walk on it.

Last edited:

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The kitchen cart is a cool idea! I agree that cats are smart they will learn to learn their spots, although my cats like to get distracted before doing their "sit" so it really just depends on how hungry they are. My cats even learned which ones are their bowl, though I can't get my piggy sphynx to just mind her own bowl.

I really like the idea of feeding them off the floor so it's easier on my back and also more convenient with preparing raw food. Thanks for sharing. I thought the pictures are cute and funny too.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@CathyO I have 2 piggies. Henry who eats on the kitchen cart isn't a piggy. I have to pay attention because if he has any leftovers the other 2 will eat them. I save them in the fridge and he'll eat them later. Would be easier if he was a piggy!

I'm not sure if you saw in the picture but I also put their water bowl on the kitchen cart. I used to kick it when it was on the floor. I have a piece of rug padding under it so it can't get batted onto the floor. LOL cats they make you earn everything :0

Last edited:
Back