Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

defrosting food

Tamson

Lairian
What is the safest way to defrost frozen cat food? I read different things. My cats usually do not like cold food at all.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I thaw mine in the fridge. If you're in a pinch and forget it will usually thaw within half hour in cold water.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If it's a small container (say 8 ounces) just give it 24 hours in the fridge.

If it's a big package of frozen meat, I fill a big pan with water, put the package of frozen meat in the pan, and put the whole thing in the fridge for 24 hours. You might need to replace the water part way through if it starts to turn to ice.

In a pinch I do the same as @Bailey21 and defrost food on the kitchen counter in a container filled with water for like 30 minutes.

For what it's worth my crew eats it right out of the fridge which is set to 38F.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I always warmed mine because it made it more appealing to my fussy eater. I would pull a baggie out of the freezer (single serve) and thaw it for a day before. Then I would float the baggie in warm water for 10 minutes or so before feeding.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Tamson @Sheldon13 has a good idea as food that is usually cold from the fridge is not appealing nor good for digestion however I would be careful how you do this to avoid food poisoning.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes I serve it right out of the fridge. When I first started eating raw I would keep each portion in a zip lock baggy which I would just sit in warm water for a minute to warm it. Or I would use two metal bowls, fill one with hot water and the second with the food and put it on top of the hot water one.

But all my 3 have no issues eating it right from the fridge so that's what they get.

Back