Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Diabetes

LoonBug

Lairian
Hi friends!

Me again. Got the latest update for my little LoonBug and she's been diagnosed with Diabetes!

She's not on the insulin yet as we still need the fructose results and most businesses are closed this Sunday and Monday in Canada.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what tips and tricks you have to help me not lose my mind!

Was always ready to fight to the ends of the earth for this bean, just didn't expect it to happen so soon and so frequently. :0

Attachments

• 422251849_10159671173176129_7432412497430203169_n.jpg
    422251849_10159671173176129_7432412497430203169_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 4

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , oh sweetie here for you and Loonbug... I know personally the gut punch when told a diabetes diagnosis . I cried on the floor when my rottie was diagnosed.

I am actually a moderator in the canine diabetes group . there is a wonderful feline diabetes group I belong to as well with lots of info care help and support. the admin and mods and members are very caring , knowledge. here is the link to the feline diabetes group. there is a great library of info there called "the guides" and someone is always there to help. knowledge is power on the new normal. it will all come together.

the admin from the canine group is also in the feline group. I can tell her if you decide to join. she is extremely experienced with feline diabetes.

I turned my neighbor onto it with her diabetic cat this summer. I know of another sphynx with diabetes. you got this!

the feline diabetes group can show how to test , feed, inject on the new normal. (some use a libre sensor but it can be inaccurate, fall off , and graphics not work. if you are going to use a libre sensor highly recommend home testing with a hand held meter too for peace of mind. I gave my baby a head smooch and told him we got this and a command "sugartime" . lots of info in the beginning. It will all come together. my vet was very happy I joined the diabetic support group. It is a manageable diagnosis and I got into a routine and it all came together. he was happy go lucky and would never know he had diabetes.

I know personally how scary the diabetes diagnosis is. it was like a gut punch. I took deep breaths, joined the diabetes group and never looked back. here for you!!! going to check your other post. hugs n head smooches warrior team Loonbug.

here for you! I swear our babies keep us on our toes. you are an incredible mom , she is blessed with your love and care and here for you every step of the way. sharing the quote when my pup was diagnosed that helped me power on!
melt my heart with your photo together!
believe you can.jpg

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , following up for updates. here for you. hugs n head smooches. did you join the group I shared? a tremendous caring family on the new normal and info on supplies , possible remission etc.

LoonBug

Lairian
@LoonBug , checking in for updates. here for you
Hi, Sorry. Been a bit of a whirlwind. We're officially starting insulin shots today and I've been anxious. She seems fine, her skins a little weird still, but I'm hoping it clears up as I continue to treat it.

I requested to join the group, thank you for sharing.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , you got this Team Loonbug. I remember when I first started with my pup. it does get easier and into a routine. my neigh and her kitty joined the group and she said it was very helpful too.

I will let the group admin know your request to join. if you can PM your name on the request. I will be looking for you and Loonbug in group

hugs n head smooches.

LoonBug

Lairian
@LoonBug , you got this Team Loonbug. I remember when I first started with my pup. it does get easier and into a routine. my neigh and her kitty joined the group and she said it was very helpful too.

I will let the group admin know your request to join. if you can PM your name on the request. I will be looking for you and Loonbug in group

hugs n head smooches.
Thank you,

I've been admitted!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , I will look for your introduction post on the Feline diabetes group.

be sure to share a pic of loonbug for attention and for other sphynx mums to chime in.

the group is very knowledge, caring and supporting., there is a great file section with info. (read as you can) and definitely jump in and ask questions. someone is always there to help. ( I can also follow your thread and tag the member I know that is very experienced )

I learned on my journey , knowledge is power.
the new normal will get easier in a routine. I told my baby they are arrows of love to keep him feeling good. (like he knew what I was saying, but helped me ;)
do not hesitate to pm me . here for you always..

hugs n head smooches

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Im sorry to hear of Loonbugs diagnosis. Ive not had any direct experience of diabetes in animals but any news of health issues in our little companions comes as an awful shock. The love you have for her will give you strength to see this through plus the great advice and support as always from members of S.L. Sending you and Loonbug hugs across the miles x

Back