Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Fat Cat

Chloe

Lairian
My Chloe has a weight problem. Currently he weights 14 pounds. The vet wants him at 11-12 lbs. I'm at a loss has to how much to feed him. He eats about 3/4 cup of dry food a day. I break it up, a little more than a 1/4 cup in the morning and another little more than a 1/4 cup in the evening. He acts like he's starving, always looking to eat. I give him wet food maybe once a week. He's very active, climbs, jumps, runs around the house. Right now he eats Hill's Science Diet for sensitive Stomach and Skin, because he had a bout of diarrhea and scratching. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This probably won't be of much help to you, but my girl Raven was over weight a few months ago. I was feeding her 6oz of raw a day and she weighed 10.5 pounds.

I cut her back to 5 oz a day, and between the diet and her running almost constantly on her cat wheel, she's down to 8.8 pounds as of last week. I've actually started increasing her food back to 6 ounces because of how active she is.

You could start by decreasing his food just a bit? Or if he gets lots of treats, limit the amount of treats? If you think he would use it, I highly recommend getting a cat wheel! All 3 of mine now use ours.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Kudos to you @Bailey21 for getting your baby’s weight down. @Chloe slowly cutting back the amount of food and staying consistent until you find the magical amount is all it takes. They often will act out like it is the end of the world and it hurts us more than it hurts them. Just know the long run you are helping them remain healthy...just stay the course and I have to give to a shout-out for listening to your vet and doing the best for your baby. Our first Sphynx was 13+ pounds and we achieved getting him to stay at the 10 pounds target that the doctored ordered.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I know how hard it can be! I have 3 sphynxs. One was chunky, one normal and one a little too skinny.
My boy Toa had to lose weight without Ross losing weight and my girl Jade gaining weight. For a year I tried everything. Nothing helped. My boy Toa didn't lose weight. But Ross and Jade did. Sigh. I always feeded them kibbles with some wet food.
Three months ago I decided to stop with the kibbles and only feed wet food for a while. And...Toa did lose weight! A lot! And he doesn't seem to be hungry!!
And Ross stayed on the same weight. Only Jade is still a bit too skinny but working on that too.

Good luck!

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know how hard it can be! I have 3 sphynxs. One was chunky, one normal and one a little too skinny.
My boy Toa had to lose weight without Ross losing weight and my girl Jade gaining weight. For a year I tried everything. Nothing helped. My boy Toa didn't lose weight. But Ross and Jade did. Sigh. I always feeded them kibbles with some wet food.
Three months ago I decided to stop with the kibbles and only feed wet food for a while. And...Toa did lose weight! A lot! And he doesn't seem to be hungry!!
And Ross stayed on the same weight. Only Jade is still a bit too skinny but working on that too.

Good luck!
Of course it would be too easy if all three babies were on the same side of the spectrum :)
The good news is, you were up for the challenge!

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Chloe I know how hard it is, but a healthy weight is important. Kudos to you that you doing something about it. Just remember that you are doing it FOR your baby, not TO your baby and maybe that will help you feel better about it.
I have a 13 year old mini dachshund that is currently on a bit of a diet. He is about 2lbs overweight (slowly put it on over the past year or so after a back injury) so I have reduced his food. I only reduced it a little to try to make it easier on him. He is highly food motivated, so he is definitely noticing.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would suggest you try giving wet food only. You can start with a 2oz can twice daily until he drops the weight and then increase it if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sheldon13

Staff member
My Chloe has a weight problem. Currently he weights 14 pounds. The vet wants him at 11-12 lbs. I'm at a loss has to how much to feed him. He eats about 3/4 cup of dry food a day. I break it up, a little more than a 1/4 cup in the morning and another little more than a 1/4 cup in the evening. He acts like he's starving, always looking to eat. I give him wet food maybe once a week. He's very active, climbs, jumps, runs around the house. Right now he eats Hill's Science Diet for sensitive Stomach and Skin, because he had a bout of diarrhea and scratching. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm. Yeah I think I’m remembering @Sylvia has a girl named Chloe. My bad.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
woo hoo go team Chloe! good job on his weight loss progress!
hugs n head smooches!

keep us updated

Back