Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Freeze Dried Raw and Allergies

QueenUmmie

Lairian
Hi all! Umlaut has still been having some spurts of diarrhea and the occasional solid poop. She is currently on hills science and diet kitten food which she free feeds on as well as a can of hills science and diet divided into 2 meals. Both are chicken flavored and not grain free. I have tried adding pumpkin to her wet food and no change, but I recently added some instinct digestive toppers which I believe helped a bit. She is almost 6 months old and getting spayed on Monday! I noticed she sneezes and has slightly loose stool sometimes bloody. Her stool has been tested multiple times and always comes back negative.
I also use Worlds best cat litter which I am going to switch because I also heard a lot of Sphynx can be allergic to most likely a tofu litter to avoid dust.

Umlaut also developed bumps along her tail that weren’t there before which I think is a reaction to her food. I believe she has a chicken allergy which is not uncommon. I was doing some research and believe Stella and chewy is the way for me to go. I want to do raw but I do not want to handle raw meat or cook it at all it grosses me out. The only problem is that it has turkey so I was wondering if Sphynx are also prone to turkey allergies. There is an option for rabbit it is just almost $70 for 18 oz whereas the duck and turkey is $45. Also if anyone has any kibble recommendations that are poultry free that would be amazing since I’m know while she’s a kitten she needs access to food 24/7 unless that isn’t true on a raw diet?

Also I plan to add either water, broth, goats milk supplement, etc. to rehydrate the freeze dried food!

Sorry for the long post I am a first time Sphynx owner and just trying to get Umlaut the best poops possible hahahaha. I need to days of wiping bloody butts and poop covered paws long behind me. Also her poop is quite smelly and hoping a more raw diet will help clear that stink up a bit! Umlaut and I thank you in advance!

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I also used Stella and Chewy freeze dried when I was a newby and had a kitten. I did mix it with warm water too. So nice thinking there. I feed dried Instinct cat food as I could not find any kitten food here in China and it was great no skin issues on this side or tummy issues.
I would get a second opinion by another vet if your problems are not resolved by your first vet. My vet is amazing I travel far and have followed him to 3 different practices. His clinic has every possible hi tech machine in it. Here in China the university also has an amazing practice and has every thing there to do any test.

Chicken also gives mine the snotty sneezes. And it so much better since I stopped chicken Stella and Chewy also has a rabbit flavour.

Good luck the other member will give you amazing advice They are so hands on and have a world of knowledge and experiences.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I may be misreading but are you saying you want to free feed kibble but use raw as the main diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

QueenUmmie

Lairian
I may be misreading but are you saying you want to free feed kibble but use raw as the main diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi! Sorry for the confusion, yes I free feed Umlaut kibble now with 2 wet meals a day which I want to transition to freeze fried raw. I know raw is different than kibble and wet food so I was thinking of just continuing to free feed kibble until she was no longer a kitten.

Back