Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Hello from a new owner!

Loryvel

Lairian
Hello everyone from Morticia and I.

New(ish - we've had her for about a month now) owner of a sphinx cat here.

I had cornish rexes for most of my life until I lost my last two at 18 and 15 several years ago. While I absolute loved them I could never bring myself to get another.

Well!

Long story short and due to some unfortunate circumstances.

About a little over a month ago the opportunity to provide a home for a sphinx cat came my way via a friend who knows I like "unusual" cats (and pets in general).

She's around 9 years old, spayed and healthy - the only records we don't have are her registration papers but it's not a big deal.

After two weeks of being in a separate room from everyone else introductions with my two domestics, Munchie and Fluffy(I did not name her- lol), have gone well. One indifferent completely and the other sharing the couch with only some grumbling.

Otherwise we share the house with one parrot, three lizards and a bunch of arachnids all of whom have their own room away from any potential accidents. Minus the parrot.

Like many other people here, I've got concerns over dry skin issues. The person I got her from advised she was just applying coconut oil as a remedy, but I'm definitely interested in reading other people's suggestions and experiences.

While I'm definitely more of a reader than a writer on forums, thank you so much for having us!

1000003908.jpg

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello and welcome to you , Morticia (she's gorgeous) and the rest of your gang. So glad you found her. While I personally have not had too many issues with dry skin (I did stop using coconut oil at bath time as it seems to just make them more greasy and "brown up" quicker) I would say be mindful of what you do put on her dry patches as some products can be harmful when ingested. I use Aveeno gentle baby bath with oatmeal at bath times and don't over bathe as this can also cause problems. I am sure other members will come up with some great advice

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. Congrats on your beautiful baby. Your life officially changes forever when a Sphynx comes into it. Coconut oil for a while was a go to for many. Unfortunately we are seeing more issues than gains using it. From clogging pores to attracting more dirt and upsetting the natural balance of their skin. I only use it on their noses to get the gunk off.

Letting their skin balance on their own is usually best. A high quality diet is also helpful just like in humans.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Loryvel , welcoming you and adorable Morticia to the lair family. bless your heart for giving her a home of love and care so deserving of. love seniors! my adoptees are all seniors now and act like kittens. so glad introductions going great with her and furbabies Munchie and Fluffy. love to see photos of all ! we have several members here with lizards, arachnids, birds etc. all are family!

echoing the advice on not using coconut oil. I stopped using it. My adoptee had dry skin and severe pigmentation from over sunbathing. change of diet, no lotions or creams, baths spread apart every other month and his skin completely healed and much better. sharing a before pic.
what shampoo will you be using? there is a great shampoo thread with members recommendations. I personally do not over bath. I can go a loong time between full baths with wipedowns with trizultra w/keto **just not on face**. it really cleans skin and they have no skin issues. I use it to wipe out ears biweekly and wipe downs.

members will surely chime in.. hugs n head smooches to all! so glad you joined this down to earth fun friendly bunch. look forward to updates, pics and tales. such a precious photo of Morticia. the help center and the top right oval search great for specifics.. we are here for you

hugs to you for your rex's gaining there angel wings. they could not have asked for a better mum and life of love and care beyond measure. I know no time is enough. don't hesitate to share photos of your beloveds.

Attachments

• happy gotcha.jpeg
    happy gotcha.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 5

Loryvel

Lairian
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone!

I'll definitely keep that in mind for the coconut oil.

It seemed like opinions on its use were pretty split from everything I had read and I was keeping everything the same for her care, just to get a baseline. I did notice she was kind of icky feeling and developing a bit of redness so I did give her a bath.

I used the Wahls oatmeal bath that I already had which didn't seem to cause her any discomfort.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Loryvel , glad the oatmeal bath went well. we all get in a routine of what works for our babies. Look forward to updates and photos of Morticia Munchie and Fluffy. hugs n head smooches to all paws. so glad you joined us! jump and enjoy this fun friendly bunch. all paws are family

Back