Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

In Memory of Harry, HCM Awareness

harry

Lairian
Joined
Jan 25, 2015
Messages
2
Points
4
hi i have read sphynxlair on and off for the last year or so despite having adopted a sphynx about 9 years ago. it is with great guilt and sadness that i finally write to a forum now. my sphynx harry passed last tuesday from severe hcm. i wanted to share his story in hopes that others new to the breed understand the importance of screening for this before it is too late.

i first met harry in 2006 when i was finishing up my senior year of college. i did some googling, read some articles, and even watched an animal planet episode on the sphynx. harry had been passed through two families when he finally came to me. i thought i was aware of all the care he needed--weekly baths, teeth brushing, ear cleaning, clipping nails, wiping eye boogers, yearly vet visits, but in all my research and all my vet visits, hcm never came up. the vet always said his heart and lungs sounded good, every time he went under for an extensive teeth cleaning there was never any question of the stability of his heart and i always requested them not to use ketamine. i thought i was doing all i could.

for 9 years, harry seemed fine until the last week of october 2015. he developed a strange cough in the middle night. after the 4th night we went to the vet. the vet listened to his heart and lungs--"everything sounded fine" i was told. she gave him some antibiotics and we scheduled a chest xrayto see what was going on. the xray revealed some cloudiness in his lungs and an enlarged heart. we went to a board certified cardiologist a week later. harry was diagnosed with severe hcm and early congestive heart failure. he started lasix and plavix. he never acted that different besides that cough. he did seem to sleep a little more but i just thought it was because he was getting older. when he first started his medicine he seemed to be less tired and more playful even. to make sure i was doing absolutely everything i could for him, i had another consultation with a cardiologist from the cornell feline health center. i even found other cats on instagram living with congestive heart failure and making it. his next echocardiogram was scheduled in four months. i was hopeful. i thought he could last through this for awhile especially after reading about cats on here living decent lives with hcm.

but less than 2 weeks into starting his medicine, one evening he started laying on his side very funny. everytime i would try to stroke him he would act uncomfortable and wiggle around. his breathing rate was high and then he stood up vomitted twice. ran away from me like he was trying to hide. and then he collapsed and cried out. we rushed to the vet, but harry never got back up. his temperature would not go up. he was only 94 despite being surrounded with heat packs. he was in an oxygen tank because he was struggling to breath. when he was stabilized the vet let us come back and see him. as soon as i put my hand through the slot to pet him he started wiggling again and his heart plummeted from 118 to 34. the vet said he was dying and i did not want him to struggle anymore so i asked her to help him. it was almost as if he waited to see us again before he started to let go. he passed with his head in my hand. he was already so cold. and i cannot get this image out of my head. i failed him.

he was my first true love, love of my life. i hope he knew how much i loved him and i will miss him every single day. now i cant help but feel guilty i didnt understand hcm and did not have him checked for it earlier in his life. what if i had done it and we caught it sooner would he still be here? i am filled with so much guilt and i want others to know harrys story so they can understand how to better care for your sphynx. know what hcm is and how it is properly diagnosed. even though he went to the vet yearly his whole life i dont understand why a vet never brought it up to have him screened for hcm. so i hope anyone reading on here that isnt aware, learns.

this is the last photo (attached) i have of harry two days prior to his passing. i still cannot believe he is gone. i miss his warm body sleeping on my head every night, purring all night long, the sound of his toes tinkling on the floor, finding him waiting in the bathroom for someone to fill up the sink with water, finding him buried in blankets whenever i came home from work, his nose bites, his porkchop legs, riding on my back, his silky furry paws, and that potato chip like smell he would develop when it was time for a bath. ive had plenty of pets come and go growing up but none have left the impression harry left on my life.

im sorry this is so long and maybe it makes no sense and i am preaching to the choir. i just want anyone that is new to the breed on here to please do your research. know what care your sphynx should have and do not rely on a vet to do it for you. maybe i was only ever meant to have only 9 years with harry and i am lucky to have had him for so long. i just cant stop thinking about what if this had been caught sooner...

thanks for reading.

in memory of harry 5/14/06 - 11/24/15
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 109

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2010
Messages
25,203
Points
673
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
I'm just sorry this had to be your first post.
He was a real Handsome little Gentleman.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
 

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
37,726
Points
673
Welcome! I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You came to a great place to share your memories. We all understand it is loss of a family member. May he rest in peace.

Patti
 

tara44

Lairian
Joined
Nov 7, 2015
Messages
115
Points
61
Oh, my heart hurt reading this. May his little soul rest in peace and may you always remember all his little quirks, I know one day you will be with him again <3
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
30,578
Points
653
@harry , oh my heart breaks for you and the passing of your best friend Harry-
His tribute story and photograph brought tears to my eyes- such a incredible forever love shared -
- hold tight to those silly antics and memories - let those times fill your heart and mind.
Your love and best of care for Harry leaps off the page - you by no means failed him-
He was surrounded his while life with your love -

Thank you for having the strength and courage to share so that others may learn about HCM awareness thru the love of Harry- I think many vets could also learn the importance of HCM awareness especially in this breed -

I lost my first too with severe HCM - I felt all the things you so heartfelt expressed - I was so upset I just couldn't fix her little heart - no words can take that heartache you feel away but know we are here for you... PM me anytime ..
I know my ^Yoda Cat^ will be keeping an eye out for ^Harry^ to run and play together at the bridge world
When it hurts the most for me , I think of the quote "there is no death , only a change of worlds"

Sending you a great big ((hug))) and sincere condolences

The bridge had a very special angel
Fly free high and whole at the bridge ^ Harry^
Rest in Peace
 

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Mar 30, 2014
Messages
1,279
Points
238
First of all I would like to say I'm very sorry for your loss.

Second, I would like to share about my sphynx smaug who passed in April. He had grown sick and it took us a while to figure out why. Finally he got a surgery to remove the giant spool of ribbon from his body. He's lived 10 days after his surgery but then passed. His body couldn't take the trauma. Though his soul was loving and sweet throughout the process. I was just like you heart broken (I still am today) but I was also agonized with what if's and how's about the ribbon that I always keep in a sealed container. I would stay up all night thinking about the situation. Finally, I had to tell myself that I was as good of a mom as I could be and I loved him dearly and leave it at that. I know it's hard not to let your mind go to those places but it sounds like you did the best you could do and more. You did your research and went above and beyond. You gave your baby so much love. I'm sure as he crossed the rainbow bridge he could feel your love.
 

rey0603

Lairian
Joined
Sep 3, 2014
Messages
6
Points
14
Thank you so much for writing this ️I am sorry for your loss. I will miss the potato chip like smell from my boy as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top