Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is this normal?

jujucat

Lairian
Hi friends. I am a brand new sphynx cat owner. I adopted my new kitty today actually from a kind of suspicious situation. Craigslist. Don't hate me. But long story short, I believe my 5 year old kitty was basically used as a backyard breeder mama for most of her life.

The "seller" wanted to meet in a public parking lot and made it clear NO RETURNS. She gave me vet paperwork and I was basically showed the cat and asked if I wanted it. Obviously I said yes.

Now that being said, we get home and kitty is...off. so, fellow sphynx owners please help me. Is this normal?
- neurotic tail twitching
- hissing when I touch her back or underbelly
- doesn't know what stairs are and can't figure them out
- walk is off...she walks like a German shepherd with arthritis almost
- Is rubbing on things to the point she has fallen off the couch TWICE while rubbing on the cushions

Initially I thought it was a combination of 1) her currently being in heat and 2) her wearing a sweater. She won't let me take the sweater off by the way. Now I'm googling potential neurological conditions.

I am not an experienced cat owner by any means. I am actually allergic to cats but am somehow not allergic to her. Please help if you can! I will be contacting a vet this week for a check up and spay but if anyone has experienced anything similar please let me know.

Also her pupils are fine. She is otherwise friendly and playful.

eggs

Lairian
Welcome!!

My advice is to get all these behaviors on video and get her to the vet ASAP. Cats can be shy/not display their usual behaviors at the vet, so you'll want all of that on video for evidence to show your vet. But yes, get her a full physical as soon as you can and spayed. Most of us here aren't medical professionals (including me), so just get to the vet for advice and to identify any underlying health problems. It's hard to say what could be due to her being in heat, potential 5 years of neglect or abuse, a health problem, or simply quirks of her personality. Or a combination of any of these.

You said you're googling potential conditions -- respectfully, please just stop. You'll drive yourself nuts and upset yourself with worst case scenarios. Just get to a vet!

That's unfortunately the double-edged sword of Craigslist... you will feel good for saving a cat from a bad situation (as you rightfully acknowledge it was) and I understand that impetus, but unfortunately it's just one cat and the backyard cattery continues to operate and neglect many, many other cats. And you could personally be signing up for heartbreak, potentially, versus researching and going with a reputable breeder. But YOU sound like a very kind person to adopt her, and I'm glad this girl has found her forever home. I bet she is thrilled to be safe and cared for now! They're such a beautiful, unbelievably loving breed that are just bundles of joy.

Let us know how it goes! And show us some photos of your new baby girl :)

Last edited:

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi and welcome. Looks like you have had some great advice already. Taking a video to show the vet can be invaluable .Remember she may have also come from an unhappy situation , it may have been all she knew, and it will take time for her to adjust and learn to trust Your vet may also be able to help you (safely) get her jumper off so you can check the rest of her body. Sphynx are a wonderful breed and with time and patience can pay you back ten fold. Do keep the updates coming , this is a great place for advice and support x

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Getting a vet appointment ASAP will be best. I would get the sweater off of her. Many cats fall over and walk very oddly when they are put in sweaters for the first time and some just don’t tolerate them. Hissing is a sign of fear not usually aggression. Twitching of the tail shows they are irritated. The sweater could be stressing her. The rubbing on things could be due to marking her territory and possibly being in heat.

Let us know how things go once you get the sweater off.
Looking forward to updates and hoping there is not a neurological issue. Oh and don’t forget to take a poop sample to her wellness checkup.

@jujucat

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jujucat , welcoming you and your sweetie to the lair family. we are here for you. what is her name? love to see a pic of your baby, can share video as well.

great advice shared on vet visit wellness check asap and taking some video to show vet.
(note, agree with don't dr google, it will drive you crazy and there is some misinformation out there, best to wellness check her asap at vet)

I have all adoptees. you will get no hate here from this down to earth fun friendly knowledgeable bunch.

( my first (avatar pic ) was a surprise from a fiance who got her on the side of the road for "such a deal off craigslist.". you are not alone, here for you) . I took her to the vet and got wellness check and a spay.
my other was from a craiglst ad I suspect from a closest breeder. I adopted him at 11 mos old and he is 10 yrs old now

please be sure to have vet rule out any chance of *Pyometra .. (uterus infection some intact females can get)
does she have any vaginal discharge? vomitting?
not to alarm but to share pyometra can be life threatening. when you call vet for an appointment definitely give all her signs and symptoms and even see if they can get her in soon.

**and discuss scheduling a spay asap. be sure to mention to vet NO ketamine anesthesia as it can have a rebound effect on heart if unknown underlying heart condition. I have vet mark chart NO Ketamine and confirm what they use instead for anesthesia.

were you able to get her sweater off? perhaps help from someone vet tech, friend neigh, to get it off?
is she eating drinking normal?

able to get a vet appointment?my vet did a neurological exam on my baby palpating the spine, and checking limbs.

** is there any guttural meowing or losing bowels pooping when walking like a german shepherd?
* doe she do this walk like this temporary and then go back to normal walking? my girl did this and I discussed with my vet saddle thrombosis embolism signs. sharing these experiences for educational purposes of some of the things I experienced and learned about in group and with my vet.

be sure to mention to vet and have them take a good listen to her heart for a baseline for any heart murmurs. *note my adoptee had a stress related heart murmur at vet and recheck was fine. he is 10 yr old now.

hugs n positive vibe head smooches, we are here for you. all paws are family.

ps: always recommend bringing a fresh stool sample to vet for a check.

Last edited:

jujucat

Lairian
Hi everyone. Thank you all so much for your kind and thoughtful messages. This community is very helpful and understanding. I appreciate it so much!

Today she seems a bit better. She is slowly acclimating to the home. We tried playing and she had never seen a feather toy before and didn't know what to do with it. After about 30 minutes she started swatting at it which was very exciting!

I've reached out to a couple of vets and am hoping to get her in to see one this week. I will be taking everyone's advice and getting videos of the odd behavior to show the vet. We have a snow storm now and many are closed.

To answer some questions:
- no, there has not been any guttural meowing or losing bowels pooping when walking like a german shepherd
- no vaginal discharge
- the walk is always kind of weird; she just looks stiff all the time
- no vomiting, and she is eating and drinking fine
- her name is Aqua Tofana and we call her Tofana. If you haven't heard the story, it is a dark history story lol Bailey Sarian did a great video on it!!
- haven't been able to get the sweater off. I will try tonight after she has had a relaxing day with lots of snuggles and pets. She just hisses at me when I try and I don't want to scare her

I've attached a picture so hopefully it attaches!

Attachments

• 20240115_145816.jpg
    20240115_145816.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 24

eggs

Lairian
Hi everyone. Thank you all so much for your kind and thoughtful messages. This community is very helpful and understanding. I appreciate it so much!

Today she seems a bit better. She is slowly acclimating to the home. We tried playing and she had never seen a feather toy before and didn't know what to do with it. After about 30 minutes she started swatting at it which was very exciting!

I've reached out to a couple of vets and am hoping to get her in to see one this week. I will be taking everyone's advice and getting videos of the odd behavior to show the vet. We have a snow storm now and many are closed.

To answer some questions:
- no, there has not been any guttural meowing or losing bowels pooping when walking like a german shepherd
- no vaginal discharge
- the walk is always kind of weird; she just looks stiff all the time
- no vomiting, and she is eating and drinking fine
- her name is Aqua Tofana and we call her Tofana. If you haven't heard the story, it is a dark history story lol Bailey Sarian did a great video on it!!
- haven't been able to get the sweater off. I will try tonight after she has had a relaxing day with lots of snuggles and pets. She just hisses at me when I try and I don't want to scare her

I've attached a picture so hopefully it attaches!
What a sweet little angel! She has big, clear, beautiful eyes. One suggestion -- if you're not attached to the sweater, I'd simply cut it off her. It looks like there's enough room in the sleeve area to do that no problem. You can buy her new clothes. You don't want oils accumulated/may want to assess what's going on under there before the vet visit/give her a delicate wipe-down etc.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jujucat , oh my heart, she knows love because of your hearts and home ... so deserving of. you saved her.. she is learning to be a cat and playing.. melt my heart. it is a big new world for Tofana.

I agree with member @eggs reply to cut the sweater off. *** you can get surgical scissors fairly cheap on amazon, I used them as an EMT. they dont have sharp edges and cut quickly.

hugs n head smooches adorable Tofana.. reminds me my Batman

thank you for answering the questions,

following closely for updates. hugs n head smooches. all paws are family.

walmart , cvs etc sell bandage scissors too

1705372601656.png

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She has such beautiful eyes. Good luck with the sweater , if you're happy to, it would be a good idea to cut it off if you can do so safely. Could someone gently distract her with treats ?

Major Squirt

Lairian
I feel for you. I did the same as you also. I adopted my girl Skye from a woman who had to get rid of her. She came with lots of surprises too. But now we have her completely healthy and so happy she won’t leave our side and is the loudest purring cat I have ever heard! I just wanted to remind you when you do make it to the vet it is super important to bring a sample of feces. It can tell the vet a lot that the check up can’t tell. Most of the time we all forget about that being new kitty moms!

Love and kisses for your new little one. Patience and lots of fun toys! ❤️

eggs

Lairian
Hi everyone! Sorry I have been so quiet! So, many updates.

We renamed her Molly. She is doing FANTASTIC, thriving, happy, playful, super silly and perfect! No more weird behavior, I think that was her just adjusting to the new environment. She loves snuggles, baths, lets us pick her up, clean her, trim her nails and everything! And she loves my kids!

But unfortunately I'm HIGHLY allergic to her. Like severely. One week after getting her, I came down with pneumonia. I got over that, then the next week got a severe sinus infection, which I'm still battling! My doctor and I figured out it was Molly!

My kids are distraught and now I'm forced to find her a new home. Help! Does anyone know anyone looking for a sphynx in the Northern VA area?
Thank you for the update. What a little beauty! Thrilled to hear she's happy and thriving. What an immense relief. That's so awful she will need a new home, though. I'd personally battle through illness for a little longer to be 1,000% it's the cat's doing (I've never heard of a cat carrying pneumonia/facilitating a human contracting it) and not just coincidence, but of course go with what your doctor says. Sending love!

jujucat

Lairian
I could have explained that better. The cat did not give me pneumonia. I developed a severe sinus infection and then developed pneumonia. I'm currently on my 3rd round of antibiotics since Molly came into our home. I have an autoimmune disease that makes me susceptible to getting sick. Hopefully that clarifies.

eggs

Lairian
I could have explained that better. The cat did not give me pneumonia. I developed a severe sinus infection and then developed pneumonia. I'm currently on my 3rd round of antibiotics since Molly came into our home. I have an autoimmune disease that makes me susceptible to getting sick. Hopefully that clarifies.
Ahh I understand. I should also have been more clear in that I definitely don't think you're making the decision lightly! I meant more that having to give up a beloved pet is a heartbreaking thing to have to do, so I was hoping it wasn't the case that it was Molly's fault. That's all :) This forum is a great place to find a new loving home for her.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@jujucat , hugs, we are here for you and Molly to find the purrfect forever home. I am soo very sorry for your severe allergic reaction.
Please start your own thread for Molly in the adoption section with details about her, especially loving spa day etc. is she spayed? and those precious photos.

just click on link top right post thread, fill in info , scroll to bottom post thread.
if you need any assistance posting, please let me know.

** all rehoming post are reviewed and approved by admin, done quickly. just need to start a thread and list a rehoming fee of $250 or less , some list no rehoming fee. either way, of course to approved home members will surely PM to interview. i always try to help hearts align here on SL.
Please give your location and rehoming fee in a post admin can approve. biggest hugs for your heartfelt decision. we gotcha. hugs n head smooches.

@Catzzzmeow

jujucat

Lairian
@jujucat , hugs, we are here for you and Molly to find the purrfect forever home. I am soo very sorry for your severe allergic reaction.
Please start your own thread for Molly in the adoption section with details about her, especially loving spa day etc. is she spayed? and those precious photos.

just click on link top right post thread, fill in info , scroll to bottom post thread.
if you need any assistance posting, please let me know.

** all rehoming post are reviewed and approved by admin, done quickly. just need to start a thread and list a rehoming fee of $250 or less , some list no rehoming fee. either way, of course to approved home members will surely PM to interview. i always try to help hearts align here on SL.
Please give your location and rehoming fee in a post admin can approve. biggest hugs for your heartfelt decision. we gotcha. hugs n head smooches.

@Catzzzmeow
Thank you so much for this resource! Yes we are pretty torn up about it as a family.

Back