Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My girl ate uncooked rice!!! Vomited! Any advice?

Roki

Lairian
So, my girl ate a bunch, maybe 1/4 cup, of uncooked Mahatma, longrained, white rice about an hour after I fed her the normal wet food. About 5 hours later, she threw up rice bits, partially digested food and a BUNCH of water (seemed like 3/4 cup). I didn’t notice if she was drinking excessively beforehand. There was a bit of green (possibly a leaf or some green onion scraps) also. She threw up more rice & water & then a small amount of watery food again. I checked her respiration rate and it’s about 19 breaths per minute and not labored. She does seem lethargic, which concerns me. I’m not close in to town and the closest vet is closed, so I can take her in tomorrow morning. I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this. Would the rice make her throw up? I know rice can have lectins and arsenic, so, could she be poisoned, and if so, what the heck can I do? Google is useless and the articles all quote one another repeatedly, without real solutions, so any real experience advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Definitely take her in as soon as you can. It’s good she threw up and that is not enough rice for arsenic poisoning. @Catzzzmeow is right about the onions though. It all depends on how much was eaten and if it was all vomited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a silly girl to eat uncooked rice. I searched the internet to see if uncooked rice is toxic. I didn’t find anything about rice. Maybe you can call a vet to ask if uncooked rice can do any harm? I guess they would want to tell you that on phone without going there. Onions are indeed toxic.
Sending healing vibes

Roki

Lairian
Just a quick update, since I didn’t immediately... she didn’t bloat up at all, which is what I was really worried about, and passed most of it in a neat, compact poo a few hours after I posted. No other side effects. There weren’t any “real” onions next to the bag of rice, so I wasn’t worried about that! :giggle: I think the green was the end bit of the green onions I have in a windowsill (not sunny), as I noticed the very tip of one had been chewed. They usually leave them alone. But then, they usually leave rice alone, too. I think one of them poked (clawed?) a hole in it and tasted it and found it edible enough to munch on... until I saw the mess and put it into a cat-proof container (like everything else :rolleyes:)! So, all turned out ok, whew! Thanks for your responses!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh hi! It’s good to know it passed so quickly before puffing up. Maybe the cat’s low water consumption helped too?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back