Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New member. Crazy Animal Lady. Future Sphynx owner…hopefully!

Zookeeper83

Lairian
Hello all! I’m a new member here, although I’ve visited the forum several times before while learning about the breed. I’ve been fascinated by Sphynx for many years, and as an avid researcher, I love to know as much as possible before adding a new pet to my family. I’m talking about compiling notebooks, binders, and folders full of info over months or even years before actually bringing an animal home. I enjoy taking deep dives into studying animal behaviors, and observing how providing enrichment can positively effect their wellbeing, both physically and emotionally. My husband says I have “issues,” lol, but I can’t imagine owning an animal without being fully versed in proper care, nutrition, husbandry, and behaviors. I have zero shame in admitting that I’m a bit “over the top,” as some like to say. My current pet family consists of 7 reptiles, 4 arachnids, 5 guinea pigs, and my forever shadow, Adonis the Great Dane. My cat, a Russian Blue named Calypso, crossed the rainbow bridge a few months ago after living a wonderful life of 17 years. I hope, if all goes well in my search, to add a Sphynx to our family sometime in the future. My search to find the perfect breeder and join their waitlist has officially commenced, and I look forward to interacting with the group while I wait for the right match (both breeder and kitten), to come along!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Zookeeper83 , welcoming your crew to the lair family! all are family. hope you share pics and names! you will see various babies here. my heartfelt condolences your sweet Calypso got his angel wings after a life of love and care beyond measure. remember the love, soo much love.
I commend you for researching the breed! I did the same in my wait for over a decade for my first sphynx. there is a wonderful sphynx info center here and someone always here to answer questions.

I have all adoptees including one retiree from a reputable breeder. I love research too. I will share helpful links. several of us have adopted from members. if you look at ads online, please do not hesitate to PM me any ads you are looking at.

we cant mention cattery names directly on main page.

we can PM you reputable breeders, please give your area and distance to travel /courier if an option.

I hae a wonderful meticulous breeder who HCM scans and lists scan dates on her site , etc. we stay in touch for over a decade since I got my girl from her. if you would like her name.

so glad you joined this fun friendly knowledgeable bunch. jump in and enjoy posting with us! all paws crossed the sphynx stars align

ps: for decades I sign cards tammy n the zoo. my sphynx always luv my big pups, my beloved rotties and aussies I have now. I swear sphynx are cat dog monkey baby all in one for life.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. I think it is great you are researching the breed and educating yourself before you get one. We have had a few members take the same approach and had many great questions and were active in the community quite some time before they got a hairless wonder. Looking forward to seeing you jump right in.

Zookeeper83

Lairian
@Zookeeper83 , welcoming your crew to the lair family! all are family. hope you share pics and names! you will see various babies here. my heartfelt condolences your sweet Calypso got his angel wings after a life of love and care beyond measure. remember the love, soo much love.
I commend you for researching the breed! I did the same in my wait for over a decade for my first sphynx. there is a wonderful sphynx info center here and someone always here to answer questions.

I have all adoptees including one retiree from a reputable breeder. I love research too. I will share helpful links. several of us have adopted from members. if you look at ads online, please do not hesitate to PM me any ads you are looking at.

we cant mention cattery names directly on main page.

we can PM you reputable breeders, please give your area and distance to travel /courier if an option.

I hae a wonderful meticulous breeder who HCM scans and lists scan dates on her site , etc. we stay in touch for over a decade since I got my girl from her. if you would like her name.

so glad you joined this fun friendly knowledgeable bunch. jump in and enjoy posting with us! all paws crossed the sphynx stars align

ps: for decades I sign cards tammy n the zoo. my sphynx always luv my big pups, my beloved rotties and aussies I have now. I swear sphynx are cat dog monkey baby all in one for life.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I love interacting with and learning from fellow animal lovers. Some of my best friends in life are members of our admin team from a reptile group I help moderate, and I’ve never even met them in person. Just kindred spirits who share a passion for reptiles, and all other animals! One of our team members actually has a Sphynx, and I’m constantly swooning over the pics she shares of him. I’m located in central KY, USA, and would absolutely be willing to travel to meet a breeder when the time comes to bring a sphynx into our family. Having recently lost Calypso, my heart isn’t ready just yet. But…I know waiting times for well bred kittens are long, and I’m hopeful that I’ll be ready when the time comes. For now, I’m easing the ache by fostering an occasional 4 legged friend from our local humane society. Please feel free to send me a PM with any info you may have on reputable breeders, so that I can start my list and reach out to them individually! I’d ultimately like to find a breeder that is open to talking with me about their cats, and allowing me to build a relationship with them over time. I’m definitely not interested in just finding a kitten from an ad and making an impulse buy because it’s cute or cheap! Proper health testing is a must, as I don’t want to buy from anyone who doesn’t have the animals best interests at heart. “Backyard breeders” are a dime a dozen, and animals of all types are suffering because of their greed! I’ve learned that breeders who truly care for animals rarely make a profit, because every dime goes back into caring for their pets. I’m also absolutely open to adopting a retiree, as my Calypso was a rescue and truly the best cat I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. I’ll attach some pics to show off a few members of my current menagerie, as well as a picture of my sweet Calypso cat who I will forever miss.
IMG_7056.jpeg
IMG_2947.jpeg
IMG_3720.jpeg
Facetune_01-11-2023-18-32-46.jpeg
IMG_3708.jpeg
88E8EFAD-DA09-4518-8D98-F7FDAD814E32.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Zookeeper83 , thank you for sharing your babies with us.. stunning and adorable. what kind of snakes? abosolutely gorgeous. other members here have reptiles too.
Adonis is so regal looking! Beloved precious Calypso could not have asked for a better mum and life of love. I truly believe they send us the one to love like they knew in this world. (((hugs))) .
Bless your heart for making all the difference in fostering. you are a great mum.

I will PM you with reputable breeder info. others can pm too.
the breeder I adopted from is meticulous with her cattery, even lists HCM scan dates on her site. She is a pleasure to chat sphynx with and is experienced in shipping too.

loving to all of the zoo , from me and my zoo! hope you are active with us. is your friend with the sphynx a member here?

ps. many many years ago my coworkers and I bought a tarantula for our boss. guess who took care of it :)
did you here the cadbury bunny this year may be a rescued guinea pig ? that would be so special.

Last edited:

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome. What a beautiful family ! Its great that you're researching the sphynx breed before jumping in, I tired to do a lot of research too before finally getting my first (Wilson) .Turns out , although it was like having toddlers again( and more) they brought so much love and laughter with them

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello and welcome! Love that you’re joining us and researching the breed. I am in the zoo category as well lol. I am a fellow reptile keeper as well as a mom to two sphynx adoptees, Dolly and Otis (after my first sphynx Agnes crossed the rainbow bridge) a Boerboel Otto and adopted Presa canario, Pablo. I’m a big dog person also lol. Your Dane is handsome. That is a beautiful photo of the blue eyed Lucy ball python. Is the other a coral glow/banana morph?

Odiesmomma

Lairian
@Zookeeper83 Welcome!! See as you have a Dane I understand the your researching the breed. I've always had cats, but there is nothing like a Sphynx.. You will not be disappointed, I brought home my 2nd one this past week. Reading your post I was like wow it's my house. I love your blue eyed lucy. (my daughters breeding goal) We are also reptile & Arachnid keepers, and I lost my Great Dane in April of 2022 which is how I ended up getting my 1st Sphynx. I am so sorry for the loss of Calypso, all our babies hold a place in our hearts never to be replaced..

Back to your post, you can never do to much research on these babies, they seem like a lot of work but once you have a routine it's easy. While looking for a breeder make sure they scan their breeders yearly and ask for the reports, if they say no move on. There are great breeders out there. I wish you luck on your search..

Don't hesitate to ask questions there are so many wonderful knowledgeable people in this group..

Back