Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nutriment raw feeding

missbirdy

Lairian
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new here.
I'm adopting two gremlins next month. I want to raw feed as I feel it's the best for them.
However I've been told that they need a constant supply of food due to there metabolism? Personally I don't like the idea of leaving raw food down all day, so do I have to leave a kibble food down aswell? Or maybe normally wet food? I just get worried about the flys and bacteria build up.
Thank you.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there,

You could use a Timed feeder that has A built in ice pack. You can also experiment with putting in frozen or semi frozen food to begin with and see how it thaws during the day. I think trial and error might be helpful.

When mine were kittens, I generally fed 4 times a day. Once they were one-year-old, then I went to 3 times a day. But in your case, I think you would be able to get by with 3 times a day and then only need to worry about a middle of the day feeding when you are not around.

Generally speaking, there really won't be any leftovers once you know how much they will eat. They can eat a lot! LOL

missbirdy

Lairian
I could give 3 raw meals a day fresh one at 5am then again at 3 then again at 8pm.
I just didn't know if they needed a consent food supply? We get a few house flys this time of year in the UK so I'm worried about blowfly etc.
I didn't even know u could get a timed feeder with ice tray. Will look into this now.
Thank you x

meandmytwo

Lairian
I feed raw twice a day, morning and bedtime : around 7 am and 9:30 pm (I’m home to do it). I put it in front of them and they are done in two minutes. They also get a small portion of kibble in between, around 3pm (I’m usually not home).

I don’t leave the kibble out (free feed). I use an automatic feeder for that. It’s one I can control over the internet. It has a camera I can turn on then it calls them over (a recording of my voice) and I can see that they’ve come. Then I release the kibble and can watch. I love that it also serves as a way to check on them mid day. It’s called Feed And Go.

I think your feeding times will work great and you shouldn’t have to feed more than that. :) Kittens should be fed often, 3-4 times a day yes, but do not need a constant supply. Some people may choose to leave kibble out all day and their kitties self regulate. Mine don’t self regulate any time I’ve tried the free feed method. They are beasts. lol

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm the same as Xandria, 3 times a day although the 3rd one is a snack right before bed. They eat right away and I just stand and watch so I can police if one of them finishes first and tries to eat from the other one's bowl. Then I wash their bowls and we're all done.

Once I was going away for a night so I thought, "I'll feed them a big portion so they'll be full and then put dry food down for them to have another meal later." How wrong I was - they ate the dry food immediately. Once they get used to eating when you put food down, they always eat it right away.

Now kittens are a little different and they do eat more frequently so if you can do 4 meals for a kitten that would be better. Or try a timed container for the 4th meal. Or just try 3 meals but make sure they eat enough.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there !
I could be wrong ( I don’t raw feed my two little ones )
But I am sure I read that you don’t feed raw and dried food , because of there metabolic rate and how quickly the food passes through the digestive system ,
I’m sure it read that the raw passes through quicker than the dry and if for some reason there was a problem with the raw it could get stuck in their gut / intestine cause of the dry taking longer to pass out
Please please guys correct me if I’m wrong I am sure I read this
Hugs
Anita xxx❤️❤️❤️

Gabby K

Lairian
Hi there !
I could be wrong ( I don’t raw feed my two little ones )
But I am sure I read that you don’t feed raw and dried food , because of there metabolic rate and how quickly the food passes through the digestive system ,
I’m sure it read that the raw passes through quicker than the dry and if for some reason there was a problem with the raw it could get stuck in their gut / intestine cause of the dry taking longer to pass out
Please please guys correct me if I’m wrong I am sure I read this
Hugs
Anita xxx❤️❤️❤️

Hi Anita

Just wanted to ask on this one- I am getting a new kitten in 4 wks’ time and was told by the breeder that she feeds raw 3x per day and also leaves a small portion of dry food all the time in their bowl- now not sure if it makes difference what type of raw food that is? She uses Orijen- which is slightly different to a normal dry food with grain.

So do you think that giving a cat raw food and have some Orijen available as well would be fine?

Thank you

kaylachristine

Lairian
Hi Anita

Just wanted to ask on this one- I am getting a new kitten in 4 wks’ time and was told by the breeder that she feeds raw 3x per day and also leaves a small portion of dry food all the time in their bowl- now not sure if it makes difference what type of raw food that is? She uses Orijen- which is slightly different to a normal dry food with grain.

So do you think that giving a cat raw food and have some Orijen available as well would be fine?

Thank you

This is what I’m trying to figure out, too. I brought home my kitten one month ago and the breeder was also free feeding Orijen and doing raw. I switched her to stella & chewy’s because she was having diarrhea on the kibble, but now I’m wondering if that wasn’t something else after a vet visit today. I want to feed Orijen and raw for the same reasons: I don’t want her to be hungry or without food when I’m gone, but I don’t want to leave raw out. I like the stella & chewys and she seems to like it too, but it’s so expensive. She ate a $30 bag in less than two days!

Back