Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Adopting a Young Adult

MQuery

Lairian
Hello,

I have a lead on a three-year-old male sphynx whose owner isn't able to care for him due to work. He says he's a loving and sweet cat and that he's had him since he was a kitten. He's asking for a modest adoption fee. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for rehoming a young adult. Any considerations if I decide to bring him into our home? Anything I should ask the owner before I commit? The owner was very upfront saying he isn't neutered. I'm wondering if this could be a problem as we have two other cats (both spayed themselves). Owner did say he was raised with two furry cats and he's very good with having siblings. I work from home so I can be with him constantly, especially as he adjusts. Thank you all. This is an important decision and I want to make sure I get it right.

Attachments

• 00e0e_5nwuzZ7s5wM_0c60qc_1200x900.jpg
    00e0e_5nwuzZ7s5wM_0c60qc_1200x900.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 16

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MQuery , glad you are asking questions. I have all adoptees. how much is the " Modest Fee"? if you don't mind sharing.
I have seen ads where owners trying to recoop their original purchase price.

be sure to read the fraud tips link. feel free to PM the lead for an extra peek for red flags.**

modest fee? and an unneutered 3 yr old male does run the risk of improper spraying/marking, plus the cost of neutering asap. at that age , any spraying marking may not be resolved by neutering. was he a stud cat for breeding?

sharing, when I adopted an 11 mos old male not neutered, she asked 500. (craigslist, and my heart was tender from a recent loss of my yoda girl). I asked her if she would take him for a wellness check and email me the copy of the report. she did.
I also negotiated big time because I would have to spend at least that much to have him neutered. I also asked if any known Heart issues, have parents of ever had an HCM scan ? and for a copy of his vet records/and vets phone number.
personally imho, a "modest fee "for an unneutered male cat, no matter how cute, I would personally not risk it especially with having other furbabies . I would be afraid of behavioral issues of a lifetime risk of spraying/marking.

sharing, the maximum rehoming fee here on SL is $250 or less to give you as a comparison.

*** I have seen retired breeder cats from reputable breeders, that come HCM heart scanned, spayed , neutered, fully vetted and records/registration for apx. $600.

ask lots of questions for an informed decision. to let you know when I adopted 11 month old Toby intact and had him neutered asap, I Iearned that she was not all forthcoming, she told me rehoming bcz other kitties picked on him. Not, he was the baby brat with the others when I got him home . was a labor of love patience and training . ie I called him toby terror and would tell him toby have love and had to do extremely slow introductions over months. He turned out to be soo loving now and just turned 11. , and the name stuck as Tobylove.

members will surely chime in. I always say go with your gut.

keep in mind , several of us have adopted from members. I always try to help hearts align.
please keep us updated with your decision on this handsome looking boy.

again, glad you are asking questions for an informed decision for a lifetime commitment and awareness that he could urine mark in your home even if he gets along with other cats in his home and you have him neutered asap.

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a handsome boy. If you want to go for this be prepaired for a few "rough" weeks before they all settle and get used to eachother. If he is used to be with other cats he probably will adjust well.
Ask lots of question, ask if you can call the vet where he has been to. Since he isn't neutered spraying can be a problem. What does the owner say about that?
You can always decide to let him spray when he is with you of even ask the owner to first let him spay for he comes to your place.

I adopted a retired breeder cat when she was 2 years old and she is the purrfect fit to our household. So if all feels right, I would go for it!

MQuery

Lairian
@MQuery , glad you are asking questions. I have all adoptees. how much is the " Modest Fee"? if you don't mind sharing.
I have seen ads where owners trying to recoop their original purchase price.

be sure to read the fraud tips link. feel free to PM the lead for an extra peek for red flags.**

modest fee? and an unneutered 3 yr old male does run the risk of improper spraying/marking, plus the cost of neutering asap. at that age , any spraying marking may not be resolved by neutering. was he a stud cat for breeding?

sharing, when I adopted an 11 mos old male not neutered, she asked 500. (craigslist, and my heart was tender from a recent loss of my yoda girl). I asked her if she would take him for a wellness check and email me the copy of the report. she did.
I also negotiated big time because I would have to spend at least that much to have him neutered. I also asked if any known Heart issues, have parents of ever had an HCM scan ? and for a copy of his vet records/and vets phone number.
personally imho, a "modest fee "for an unneutered male cat, no matter how cute, I would personally not risk it especially with having other furbabies . I would be afraid of behavioral issues of a lifetime risk of spraying/marking.

sharing, the maximum rehoming fee here on SL is $250 or less to give you as a comparison.

*** I have seen retired breeder cats from reputable breeders, that come HCM heart scanned, spayed , neutered, fully vetted and records/registration for apx. $600.

ask lots of questions for an informed decision. to let you know when I adopted 11 month old Toby intact and had him neutered asap, I Iearned that she was not all forthcoming, she told me rehoming bcz other kitties picked on him. Not, he was the baby brat with the others when I got him home . was a labor of love patience and training . ie I called him toby terror and would tell him toby have love and had to do extremely slow introductions over months. He turned out to be soo loving now and just turned 11. , and the name stuck as Tobylove.

members will surely chime in. I always say go with your gut.

keep in mind , several of us have adopted from members. I always try to help hearts align.
please keep us updated with your decision on this handsome looking boy.

again, glad you are asking questions for an informed decision for a lifetime commitment and awareness that he could urine mark in your home even if he gets along with other cats in his home and you have him neutered asap.
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions! He is asking $300, he says to ensure he goes to a good home. I am concerned about spraying... would definitely look into having him neutered ASAP.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MQuery , go with your gut :) keep us updated.
some use feliaway plugins when newbies come home, I do slooow introductions and a kitty safe room.

many years ago a breeder recommend anti icky poo to keep on hand. comes in a gallon scented and unscented I got on chewy. ( @PurranhasDen , got some too for her journey with Spike and "his Duvet he used to mark).

I got it to have on hand, and actually use it to spray on dog beds and cat blankets as routine laundry day to use it up. I use it to clean any barf spots too.

keep us updated!! if you do decide to adopt this cutie, I am glad you would neutered asap.

hugs n head smooches.

Attachments

• anti icky poo unscented.jpg
    anti icky poo unscented.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 8
  • anti icky poo scented.jpg
    anti icky poo scented.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 8

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I adopted Toni at 3. She was spayed. She has been with us days short of a year. We have waited for them to adapt. Its happening nicely. She was a problem for her previous owner. We fixed the first problem the day she arrived by giving her wet food. She had been highly food persistent. She stopped getting on the kitchen counters, sink and stove when she figured out there was nothing in it for her except a rude bellow "DOWN" and point at the floor. Now she might head to the kitchen when she wants attention but is dissuaded when her name is called. The monetary cost for her was a car ride to anoher to another city in horrible rain. We got her full medical records after we already had her. We had her scanned and DNA tested. Maybe we should have met her and thought about it, but we did not. Listen to the counsel here. We did ask question upon question with help from Lair friends. We've not been sorry a minute since she arrived.

Back