Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Advice on Intros!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How long did it take for your sphynx cats to bond? Like actual bonding, not just tolerating each other’s presence without hissing, lol.. I’m really hoping Kenzo will be cuddling with his chocolate bride sooner than later!

Any tips, tricks, warnings or insights you can tell me regarding cat-to-cat intros are greatly appreciated! She will be the first female member of the Stinky Boys Club! :giggle:

Note: Both sphynx are altered.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Omg you guys found him a girlfriend!? That's so exciting!! I cannot wait to see all the updates!

I haven't had first had experience unfortunately (wish I had a second baby haha) but I have read a few tips I've stored away for when my time comes.

Set up a safe space for her to get settled in and get used to her new surroundings start swapping blankets and other items like toys so they get used to each other's scent without having the other cat there.

Feed them both on opposite sides of the door so they can smell each other but realise there is no threat to them or their food, but also to positively reinforce the scent of each other with the association of food.

Small amounts of supervised play time at a time and then keep uping the amount of time. When they play well together give treats and positive reinforcement. Playing with a toy like the dabird or a fun string toy so they can be Involved together is good too.

There will be smacking and hissing as they need to figure out between the two of them who is the Alpha in the relationship so don't always stop them when it isn't aggressive and is just cautionary etc.

Hope that helps and I can't wait for you guys to bring her home. She is so beautiful!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ohhh how beautiful is that little lady, what’s her name? Ohh too exciting!

I don’t have experience of this but am sure there some therads on here about this!

:love: Aww you need to take lots of pictures, she’s is stunning :love:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
She is soooooo cute and beautiful. I think it all depends on the cats personalities. My boys came from the same litter so they're bonded. Jade came to live with us 2 years later. She was already 2 years old. They accepted eachother right away but they don't have a real bond. Toa and Jade sometimes cuddle a bit. But Ross and Jade will never do so;-).
When Foxy came to live with us she bonded right away with all 3. Cuddling, playing like she was always there.
Hopefully this cute little girl and Kenzo will bond quickly

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Thank you for the link! How long did it take for your babies to really bond? They seem to get on as a little family!

@Toa and Ross Great info! I hope that since Kenzo is not quite 1, and the baby girl is young too, that they will love each other! Videos of sphynx snuggling and grooming each other melt my heart!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
When we got our last kitten Ochi, we kept him separated for a week until we felt he was confident and had his wellness check and poop sample came back clear. We wanted him to bond with our other boy so we then introduced him only to Myshka. They were literally zooming and play within 30 minutes and started sleeping together that night. We were very lucky. The others never bonded as strongly as these guys did. A good rule of thumb is expect 2 weeks until you don’t feel as nervous. If it is sooner super...if longer than just be patient.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just introduced sphynx #3 - for the first 3 days he was in a separate room. I let him out for a couple of hours every day and put the other 2 in another room so new cat could explore everything in peace.

Then on about day 4 I moved new cat to another room and let the other 2 cats go in the room he had been in. That way they all got each other's scent.

The whole time I fed then close by, first with a door between them cracked open, then with the door open but the cats about 10 feet away so they could see each other and gradually moved them closer.

It could take a week or 2 before you can trust then alone with each other. I think the key is to provide all of them with reassurance and praise. Heck they are easier than sone humans lol.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When we first brought home Raven we had her set up in the spare bedroom all by herself (with kitty stuff of course). I had no idea of her past history so I didn't want to introduce her to the boys until she had her checkup at the vet.

Right away she would hiss from under the door if the boys were on the other side of it. I put one of their shirts on her to stay warm (the spare room is slightly colder then I would prefer). Eventually hubby felt guilty listening to her cry in the room when we weren't in there and let her out against my protests. She still hissed/growled at the boys but eventually she got over it. Her and Yoda still swat at each other and she will hiss, but I think their like grade school kids that secretly have a crush on each other :0

For some reason I feel like Kenzo will be super chill with the intro, and your little lady might be the feisty one!

Back