Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Angry sphynx cat :(

nzcherr

Lairian
Hi there!
I am the proud owner of two sphynx cats! Our first was re-homed to us at 8 months old, around a year ago, she is called Naomi. We recently got a kitten called Cleo (boy) who is friendly and cuddly! Naomi (girl) couldn't be more different. She is unfriendly, very bitey, hates being cuddled or touched and always desperate for food. However we do love her so much. We didn't realise that this was uncharacteristic for the breed until we got Cleo a month ago. We are concerned that she was abused at her previous home, and I am wondering if you have any advice on how to make her feel at home and secure. We were told that the home she was in had several older cats that didn't like her, which is why we got her. The vet says she is healthy. Naomi and Cleo have not been introduced to each other as even Cleo's scent on us makes her hiss.
Would be grateful for any advice!
Thanks so much
Guin

Attachments

• cleo.jpg
    cleo.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 41
  • naomi.jpg
    naomi.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 40

Sheldon13

Staff member
Aww bless you for taking her in.

I don’t know if it can be determined if she was abused or not. Or maybe she had to fight for food? Who knows. Has she made improvements since you got her? My only fear is that she is one of those cats that doesn’t like other cats. Mine is like that, and it really comes down to fear. It’s usually not an outright aggression issue but the animal becomes very defense easily. Typically this means she has a low confidence so do all you can to boost this. A big thing over the next several weeks/months is making sure she is getting a lot of extra attention so she doesn’t feel like the kitten is a threat to what relationship she has developed with you. I know she isn’t super cuddly, but whatever attention she likes, give lots of it. Playtime? Goodies? Praise? All the good stuff.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@nzcherr welcome to the lair family bless your heart for adopting Naomi and Happy Cleo Gotcha!
what adorable pics.

I have adult adoptees. I highly recommend slooow introductions... kitty safe room, baby gate at the door, cross scenting hand towels kept by their food dishes for positive reinforcement... my boy was indifferent hissy at first... anxiety with the change.. I took it extremely sloooow..
lots of praise, treats , dual play on each side of the baby gate at the kitty room door . I also swapped free roaming and put resident kitty free roaming in the new kitty safe room alone. then swapped again and again... a tall cat tree in a neutral open turf area helped too, I armed myself eventually with two dabird play toys for neutral turf dual play time... I went at their comfort level.. sometimes it was a second, then two minutes etc... It's a big new world for both..some just take more time....

some members like the feliway plug ins.... My Toby actually hissed and growled at the plug ins.. so got rid of those and just did slow intros..funny now he is the lover who grooms the others... he was so anxious at first.. he is like a different cat now ..totally bonded with the others. just took him alot more time

another example ... my mom adopted a cat,,, her resident cat went postal... my mom was ready to give back the kitty to previous owner..
I had my mom take a step back .. slooow intros... and they ended up besties :) . also add extra litter boxes

now they are totally bonded cuddle bugs!

lots of positive vibes and head smooches sent

keep us updated!
jump in this fun friendly bunch :)
look forward to lots of pics and tales!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Once the slow introductions are done, try throwing soft blankets in the dryer for a bit and get them to snuggle in the blankets on the couch on your lap. Make it a routine and they will learn fast. Eventually you might end up with one blanket, 2 cats cuddling and no room for you lol. Seriously though they love the heat and can snuggle in. Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
They are both beautiful! I only have 1 cat, so I can't offer any advise. Good luck though, I hope they are best friends soon!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. What beautiful cuties you have.
Could it be Naomi is in pain? And that causes her to bite?
If she is abused, then just be patient. She's still young and will hopefully learn that you mean well with her.

Back