Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anna has a cardiac issue.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The most shy girl of our crew was found to have a new heart murmur at the cats yearly routine checkup.
I scheduled an ultrasound with the wonderful vet who took care of Merlin when he had cardiac issues.
Anna has a focal thickening of the heart which is affecting one of her valves. So the vet suggested we start meds and do a follow up in six months.
The good thing he doesn't think the meds are an emergency to start so I can do 2 weeks of treat training at pilling times so she will come to me when it is meds time. Anna is REALLY BAD at taking meds so I am hoping the training helps reduce stress for pilling.
The only thing that we will have to watch is Anna and Vicky are sisters from litter 3 months apart.
0289214c7b01542c1667c2f4d83e2c59.jpg

Here is the very hard to photograph Anna window sitting with Wolfgang yesterday.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man. I know any new changes in the heart are very stressful to learn about. What meds is he putting her on? She is a beautiful Monique. That is great that vet thinks 2 weeks of pill training will be fine. If you have any tips, please share with the group. Will she take pill pockets?

Patti

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Catzzzmeow
She was prescribed atenolol. I am familiar with is because it was one med that Roland was on. The vet feels it will slow her heart rate a bit and make the heart pump as effectively as possible. We want to avoid pooling or backflow of blood.
As for the training....
She loves the treat kitttles from wellness. So am doing treats at 730am and pm to get her used to getting a treat at a certain time. Then get her to come to get a treat after two of weeks except she gets pill first and treat second. HOPEFULLY, this works.

She does have allergies and we talked about management and it is important not to use steroids with her at all as to not effect her fluid load.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I hope she takes them like a champ. I remember when Jouët fell ill after her spay and she would run from us after all of the pilling it can be quite stressful on all. Lair Prayers sent the meds do their job.

Patti

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear Anna has a heart issue. Hope she will learn to take the meds without too much struggle and that the meds will do their work.
All fingers and paws crossed.

Anna is a beauty! A cute pic of her and Wolfgang.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NinaGato , oh sweetie I hate to read this ..
Positive vibes sent for Anna as well as sister Vicky

Great idea to do pill training :)

Mine hate pills .. You may have tried this with the others but wanted to share

I get the pill popper and water filled needless plunger ready (vet give me for the asking )
My man cradles him in his arms while sorry go mthruthru end of the bed
I pop pill quick and follow by the water gently plunged to his side cheek
Followed by his treat on blankie the bed )
He hated it first - now after several months he is much better
He gets his pill , goes to his turbo scratcher and then to his blankie on thr bed for his treat.
It was hellacious pill time at first now it's routine

I think with your pill training you will have good results too

Please keep us updated on the ultrasound
sending lots of prayers and positve vibes

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NinaGato a lair full of prayers and positive vibes! Smooooches sent
Btw, I just made a bunch of beef heart amd chicken heart training treats
And I also have to train my man that it's the NILF ( nothing in life for free ) training with my crew or he would give them the whole bag of treats
I also get a strange look from my man when I mark good behavior with a verbal word "yes" :) lol
Have you tried clicker training with kitties?

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Send prayers your way!
I hope she takes to the treat training so there isn't any issues when it comes to pill time!

<33

Back