Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Anyone travel with their kitty?

apete89

Lairian
Does anyone have experience traveling with your sphynx?

I'm tinkering with the idea of taking Lemon camping with my parent's in their motorhome. Does anyone have any experience traveling with their kitty? What do you do for litter boxes? How do you "cat secure" the area you're staying in?
:BigSmile:

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've taken my boys camping many times, but always in a tent or a rustic cabin(no water/electricity). The tent is big enough that the litterbox goes right between the sleeping bags (at the foot end, of course :Hysterical:) and the food goes up by the door. When they use the box, it gets scooped & goes in a gallon Ziploc bag immediately lol I put a padlock through the zipper pulls at night so the naked babies don't paw their way out. I wouldn't hesitate to bring them in a motorhome, but I'd make sure they couldn't get up under the dash -- sometimes there are gaps big enough for a cat. No matter where I've taken any of my sphynx, they've never had a problem with the litterbox as long as I show them where it is. When I go camping, it is always me & my twin sister so we both know that all eyes are on the cats at all times!!! You could always bring a carrier along and if you were worried about escaping, put the cat in the carrier while setting up/tearing down, etc. I looked at buying a trailer for a while and found modifications where people had cut a hole in the floor so that their cats could get down into the storage area where they kept the litterbox. Personally, I don't think I'd go that far but ....

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cool - Kiennasmom. Taking the kikis camping can be done. And I plan on doing it in a couple of weeks. Did it with my Abby cat and had a blast. Prepare like a girl scout and everybody pitches in on watching the cat. You are definately right to mention locking the zipper down because they will paw through it. I also tied a run to hook the leash on when everyone was busy preparing meals. Cat had a blast stalking leaves, watching birds and hunting bugs. Oh - take a first aid kit just in case - stings - Benadryl - bug bites - Benadryl (or whatever the vet suggests). Have a good harness because you don't want them slipping out of a loose one or a collar. Try not to use insect repellant that is toxic. Everyone will have a great time and kiki will have wonderful things to dream about just from that experience. :Laugh:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
You have received excellent advice. Only tip I can add is when using insect repellant use those clip on OFF things,,that way no sticky OFF will get on your kitties and the bugs will stay away!

Goodluck,,take lots of photos and have fun!! I can't wait to hear all about it!

Alice goes everywhere with me. I have a "kitty bag" for her when we go out. Sort of like a babys diaper bag but for Alice/Dita. It has: Vet records, portable water dish, canned cat food, small bag of dry food, water bottle, bandaids, bug spray stuff, nail clippers, extra leash and collar, small blanket, Qtips, travel size baby soap and baby wipes. It's always good to be prepared :)

LLevenson

Lairian
We have traveled a ton with Arias but never camping. He would probably drive us nuts chasing bugs in the tent all night! :LOL:

We have flown across the country with him MANY times to visit my family and my husband's family. I always use those disposable litter boxes (they are made from cardboard or something that's biodegradable) and are smaller in size. All I have to do is show Arias once where his new box is and he never has an issue.

Have fun camping!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My idea of traveling includes hotels and maid service. :ThumbsUp: But I've traveled extensively with kitties. If I leave the room I put up the Do Not Disturb sign. I also put a handmade sign with big black magic marker letters on the door outside the room saying DO NOT ENTER. I put an identical sign on the bathroom door but add "CAT INSIDE." I also call the main desk and verbally tell them that no one is to enter my room without my specific prior approval - and that includes maids or room service. Then I lock the kitties in the bathroom with their necessities and let them out when I get back.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Another tip I thought of if you are worried about low visibility. At night, even with a lantern, it can be hard to tell where the cats are. I buy a couple of those glow bracelets and put one of them around each of the cats necks. They're usually only $1 or so but really gives me peace of mind. The cats have never tried to chew or claw them off, since they're so used to wearing collars. Only trouble is, it can be hard to sleep if you have a cat glowing green in front of your face:Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Another tip I thought of if you are worried about low visibility. At night, even with a lantern, it can be hard to tell where the cats are. I buy a couple of those glow bracelets and put one of them around each of the cats necks. They're usually only $1 or so but really gives me peace of mind. The cats have never tried to chew or claw them off, since they're so used to wearing collars. Only trouble is, it can be hard to sleep if you have a cat glowing green in front of your face:Smile:

Great idea!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu has been travelling EVERYWHERE with our family for 3 years. He goes grocery shopping, frequents restaurants and local tourist attractions. Check out his blog Adventures of A Naked Cat

You have recieved great travel advice from everyone. We use small tupperware shoe boxes for litter boxes, which are easy to open in the car and flushable litter like corn cob, or cedar. It clumps just like regular litter, and looks like a oatmeal...smells great!

An accessory we use a lot all summer is a pet stroller. We used to use a regular baby stroller but I like the pet stroller better because it has a bug screen!

If you are going to have your sphynx out regularly where it may get mosquito bites you should also have him on a heartworm preventative, usually a monthly tablet.

Another great travel accessory is the "Sleepy Pod" if you can afford it....(Nofuratu is still paying for his). It is a dome shaped carrier that is crash tested and made of ballistic grade luggage canvas so its great for safety. It also has a heating pad with car cigarette lighter adapter, fur lined washable bed cover and a net like hammock for summer to allow air circulation all around your pet's body.

Adventures of A Naked Cat

spygirl

Banned
So I had some more traveling with sphynx questions...

We have family all over Texas that we visit frequently. Car rides can take anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 5 hours. We also generally stay with family during our trips. So here is what I was thinking...

I thought about buying a large soft sided dog crate. Then in the carrier I can put a litter box (maybe something with a top entrance? will cats use those)? I thought maybe hiding the litter box in a dog crate would be more polite. Does this sound like a decent idea?

And here are my other questions...

1.) We use water bottles for my dogs. Like the ones that look like giant hamster water bottles. Can cats use these?
2.) If we're only traveling for a hour or so, is there any reason to offer a litter box in the car?
3.) Has anyone ever had a cat that would potty outside on a leash like a dog? Was just curious about it. Hehe.
4.) Has anyone had a problem with a healthy cat pottying in an unacceptable manner? Like in their bag, etc.?
5.) When traveling, does it help to have a meal schedule to help "predict" when the kitty needs to potty?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm a very detailed oriented person. I'm a planner, what can I say? :Hysterical:

Thanks for the help!

JacksMom

Banned
I take Jack all over the place locally, and a few weeks ago took him camping in an RV (3 hours away). Just threw his litter box in the back of the SUV and he goes in there when he needs to. He free roams the vehicle and found his favorite spot in the very back on top of a pillow on top of all the luggage, where his could look out the window and sleep. He loves rides. Now that it's cooler, I take him with me for quick store runs or to Redbox, or fast-food drive throughs (he gets lots of attention there!). In the RV trailer, we all just are very careful to not let him get out, unless on a leash/harness. He had such a good time picking up dried pine needles and trying to eat them...yuck! He fits right in wherever he goes, he adapts very easily and makes himself right at home! It was quite cold in the a.m. and so he got to wear his new turtleneck thick sweater and looked so cute! I think there is a picture in my album of it. I would think that an hour drive wouldn't be necessary for a litter box. When I go accross town (30 min) to my parents house, I never take a box with me (they have one along with his toys, treats, food, bowl...yeah, he's spoiled!), and it's never been a problem.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Micah,

I've never tried using the large water bottles. I would think it'd depend on the cat. Like I think one of my cats would use it, but the other wouldn't.

I generally don't bring a litterbox along unless the trip will be more than 90 minutes. The exception is if I know that the cats have eaten or drank recently, or if there won't be a litterbox at my destination & I have to bring one along (e.g. going to visit my parents). Generally I try to take their food up a couple of hours before I leave so that they can go before getting in the car.

I've never had a cat that would use the bathroom outside like a dog, but I've only had four sphynx. I've never had a problem with them Going where they shouldn't. In general, like Jacksmom said, sphynx are very adaptable and I've never had a problem travelling with the cats. Once I get to my location, I show them where the food, water, & litterbox is. Within an hour, they are usually strutting around like they own the place.

Sorry, I free-feed so my babies don't really have a schedule. Definitely give travelling a try and see what works for you. It sure is great to be able to bring your babies with you when you go somewhere!! Best of luck!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu meows when he wants something like food or litter in the car. We offer him food/water first and if that isnt what he wants then we stop the car and get his litter box out of the trunk and put it on the floor for him to go in.
We Always travel with a litter, because whenever I forget one, he ALWAYS has to go....LOL..even if it is a short trip...murphy's law!
We also have a little tupperware screw top container to hold kibbles and the lid works as a water dish. If its more than an hour drive we put that in the back window and he just grazes when he wants it.
Whenever we go anywhere he wears a collar with a bell, so if we lose sight of him we can hear him.
We live in Atlantic Canada, where it snows 7 months of the year, but in the summer instead of dragging the litter box out of the car we just put him in a dirt pile, or sandy spot and he will pee or poop same as a dog. (except that he digs a hole and then covers it). Its easiest at the beach, but if he poops you have to remember to scoop!
Once we visited the Hopewell rocks at the bay of fundy and there was this big circle of rocks someone made. Nofuratu just strutted into the circle and dug a hole and pooped right in the middle with 20 people watching. I was so embarassed! When you gotta go, you gotta go!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Once we visited the Hopewell rocks at the bay of fundy and there was this big circle of rocks someone made. Nofuratu just strutted into the circle and dug a hole and pooped right in the middle with 20 people watching. I was so embarassed! When you gotta go, you gotta go!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
He probably thought they had made a shrine like bathroom for him.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Heck yeah, Nofuratu goes everywhere. Definitely check out his blog. Your kitty would do great camping. Especially in a motor home. Kitty would love it too. I took Butterball camping. It was only for one night. It appeared that he loved it. He just chased bugs in the tent all night. I shot a short video clip.

Replacement String:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Heck yeah, Nofuratu goes everywhere. Definitely check out his blog. Your kitty would do great camping. Especially in a motor home. Kitty would love it too. I took Butterball camping. It was only for one night. It appeared that he loved it. He just chased bugs in the tent all night. I shot a short video clip.

Great video Butterball! He looks like he's having a blast! Your dog is also very cute!

spygirl

Banned
You guys have been super helpful! Thanks for the great information!

Like I said before, it's been a while since I've had a kitty, so I'm new to the whole litter box rules! :LOL:

braverducky

Lairian
Both our kitties come with us to the cottages. They are mostly cat secure. They even come over on the boat :) They have always been really easy going about where their litter box goes but it has to be THEIR litter box. It CANNOT be a travel litter box, or an easy to store litter box or an easy to pack litter box. haha They have to use their round bulky buddha dome..

Back