Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bella has a heart murmur

marcar

Lairian
Hi
I'm new here and I'm happy to join this site all about sphynx.
My 5 months Bella has a heart murmur and her dr. wants us to get her a cardiologist and a bunch of test before she gets spay and laser declaw (that was my husbands contition to get a cat she has to get declaw) which I'm sure is very expensive. I'm still trying to get the breeter to pay for it since she sold me Bella and she is not a reputable one.
She told me I can return Bella but my daugther and we all are so attach to her that we still want her no matter what plus the breeder has no money at all and if she can't even gime the money for the test $379 she can't give me the money back for Bella and all vet app. and any future vet expenses.
Well know that I put the cards on the table I would like to hear some advice, maybe some natural meds, vitamins for Bella or even what to do if this breeder doesn't want to help with anything at all.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Bellas mom :BigSmile:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Don't declaw and if you don't have the money for medical treatments and tests give Bella back... It will be very expensive to take care of her if she is sick. Gulliver had a murmur and was diagnosed with HCM. We know it will take $ to take good care of him, but we knew that was a risk inviting any new family member into the house. So my advice is DON'T DECLAW it is cruel and unnecessary and unless you have lots of extra money for health care, give the cat to someone who does and can properly take care of Bella, she deserves that.

marcar

Lairian
Thanks but there is no way in the world I'm going to give her back we got her Jul. 11 for my daughters b.day and we love her so much, plus the woman who I got her from live in the most dirty and clutter house I've ever seen in my life which is not a safe living for any animal or person I pretty much save Bella of been there and as I said in my post she has no money at all neighter to give me the money back and pay por her vet bills. I do have the money to pay for Bellas expenses but my vet told me it would be fair if she helps at least with the test and thats what I was trying to see if she agrees, obviously thats the only thing she would have to pay and it would be better for her paying for just one time heart exams then giving me the money back plus the vet bills we already pay and the future bill. The rest is my responsability for keeping a cat with a murmur which is okay because we love her and want the best for her.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'd highly recommend looking into keeping her claws trimmed or the things called 'soft claws' before amputating Bella's toes(look up what is involved in a declaw)

the personality effects of de-clawing are often profoundly negative. Additionally, unnecessarily anesthetizing an animal with a know heart issue is foolish at best. I'd bet that most Vets would recommend against elective procedures with a cat with a unclassified heart condition.

I understand keeping your word to you husband, so may I recommend returning Bella to the breeder and finding a rescue that has already been de-clawed?

Edit: I see the issue with the breeder, and I understand the attachment formed...before making an irrevocable decision, perhaps find out why the spouse is dead-set on de-claw? perhaps other accommodations could be reached?

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
ok, first- welcome to the lair. hopefully you can find some helpful info here on the site.

You came asking for advice, people will do just that. they'll tell ya how it is. you asked, they'll tell'ya.

Here's my opinion- don't accept any new member without being able to financially accomidate. Your first post, i also got the impression that $ may be an issue, but your 2nd post says you can afford the treatment.
If you think the living conditions were so poor at the lady's house, report her. If she's a back yard breeder, she isn't producing for the good of the breed and needs to be reported.
as PP stated heart murmurs can be expensive.. i believe they can also grow out of them as well- but i'm no Dr... so i would DEF get the tests done.

As for the breeder paying for medical care, you said it yourself.. she doesn't have it. What does your contract say? what does your health guarantee say?

My 2 1/2 year old cat was diagnosed with cancer, which was a result of a poor immune system- starting from birth.. anyway- by no means do i feel my breeder is Responsible for his immune system... but i did want to notify her of his condition so she knew and could be aware for his litter mates and such... but i never got a return call back or return email. Be aware that may happen.

As for declawing- recenetly someone posted on here about that subject. she got her cat done then felt terrible bc of the pain her cat was going through- and would continue to go through for life. you may want to research more before doing so. but ultimately it's your animal. just do your research before you go through ANY procedure on your animals.

Good luck. welcome to the site. hopefully you can find it helpful and fun like the rest of us :)

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just try to buy those soft claws things and try to trim her nails often that way you dont have to declaw her.

She is precious! Our linguini came home just a week ago and I am already so in love,He is the sweetest thing so I understand..I wouldnt suggest to give her back to the breeder since you said it is not a safe place to live in. Just take care of her an give all the medical care she needs!

Good Luck and Welcome!!!!:ThumbsUp:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I didn't even think about that, putting Bella under sedation with a murmur could kill her. Plus amputating her fingers would put even more stress on her. Please don't do this, a good breeder would have it in their contract not to de-claw... Most breeders, even good ones, will not help with medical bills, they will take the cat back and give you a new one, that's it.

My breeder is wonderful and understanding and is giving us another kitten to be buddy's with my Gulliver through his tough times, but in no way would I expect her to pay for medical expenses.

If you adopted a child and they were sick would you expect the birth parents to pay medical expenses? If the child was messy would you cut off their fingers?

I'm glad you saved the cat from bad conditions, but that breeder did not deserve your money, they deserved a visit from the police or human society if conditions were that wretched.

Inferno12

Banned
The heart murmur can be very expensive to take care of and there is no guarantee that the breeder will pay for the tests so I wouldnt count on it. I would take some of the money from the Declawing and help pay for the testing. Please make sure that if you are committed to keeping her that you are truly committed to keeping her comfortable for the rest of her life. I know you want to keep her because you guys are attached but you need to do whats best for the cat no matter how much it might hurt. If the breeders house was dirty and in bad conditions, then you need to report her. Dont let her do this to anyone else.

When you bring up declawing in this forum you are opening a HUGE can! I personally think that you have to make the decision with the cat in mind and not you. Please please please do your research BEFORE you declaw your cat. It is such an invasive surgery that can have some irreversable consiquenses. There are many in here that are extremely against declawing and some that have declawed cats (including me). Most of us that have declawed cats got them this way and some have emotional and physical setbacks because of it. My cat that is declawed cant jump on counters and has some problems with playing with the other cats because he slides accross the kitchen floor and hits the cabinets. He doesnt have emotional issues though. Well.....at least from declawing :Woo:. Anyway, Im not going to bash you for wanting to declaw but I will tell you that I am against it and that you need to do lots of research before you make the decision to do it.

Good luck in your decisions

marcar

Lairian
Hi
Thank you, well she still have to ge spay and the vet off course wants to run all those heart test before she gets under anesthesia to make sure she will fine. I'm not returning Bella she is part of the family she is like and other daughter to me.
I will try to talk my husband out of declawing her, my daughter and I are totally against declaw I have been treaming but we still have scraches all over and I don't really care that much but my husband does :(

Thank you again for your advice

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The soft claws sound like they would address the concerns for you-- it's a bit of a pain, kinda like giving your cat a mani/pedi... but kitties do seem to get the claws under control once they are adults :Smile:

Last edited:

marcar

Lairian
@ Klreese
Thank you very much.
Before getting Bella I never thought of getting a shpynx but since I get allergies I thought maybe I wouldn't get allergies with a hairless cat and a friend co worker of my husband told me someone in his clinic was selling shynx so I did contact her an we met to see the kittens an my daughter and I immediately fall in love with Bella so since I have never buy a kitten before I didn't asker much which now I regret I know I should resersh and ask her more but well now can't go back in time, that day we meet we agree on the price and that she had to take her to the vet for her vaccines and then we got her soon after that, later when I took Bella to her new vet they told me that Bella never got her leukemia test which she should get the first time that the lady took her to the vet.
The thing is that was the first time that that lady sold kittens, she said some one she know died and give her Bellas mom and her dad and she didn't know she was pegnant so she off course saw a good chance to make money and sell the kittens I never got a contract or recieve I didn't know much about breeders.
I'm not even sure I can register Bella in TICA or something like that. Now what concern me the most is her health off course.
Do you have any idea how and where I can report this lady?
BTW: My husband is a Dr. and we can pay for her vet bills I just thought I would be fair the lady helps with the test or at least a part of it, I'm sure she doesn't even wants me to give her Bella back eather why would she she doesnt have much money right...
Thank you to all the comments...

marcar

Lairian
Thank you very much. Bella is my baby girl.

Just try to buy those soft claws things and try to trim her nails often that way you dont have to declaw her.

She is precious! Our linguini came home just a week ago and I am already so in love,He is the sweetest thing so I understand..I wouldnt suggest to give her back to the breeder since you said it is not a safe place to live in. Just take care of her an give all the medical care she needs!

Good Luck and Welcome!!!!:ThumbsUp:

LLevenson

Lairian
there are some natural supplements you can give, but I think you should find out from your vet what her exact diagnosis is first (once you know, send me a message and I can tell you what I give Arias). Depending on the severity, treatment can range from just taking some supplements and an echo once a year, to some pretty serious meds. I hope her heart condition is not severe.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but when you take Bella in to get spayed MAKE SURE YOUR VET DOES NOT USE KETAMINE TO SEDATE HER!!!!!! Ketamine can be fatal even to the healthiest of Sphynx, but kitties with heart issues are most at risk! Make sure your vet uses gas (if you explore around on this site, you will find all kinds of info about this topic).

It doesn't take very long for a Sphynx to take up residence in your heart (for me it was in a matter of hours!) It sounds like you and your family will give Bella a loving home and can provide all the vet care she may possibly need.

As far as the declawing goes, if your hubby is a doctor, put it to him this way--would he perform or encourage an unnecessary/optional/cosmetic procedure on a patient who had heart issues? I personally would not want to put my Arias through any additional stress or time under anesthesia if I knew he had even a minor heart issue. Kittens do scratch, that's just their nature. They aren't being naughty or vindictive. I would suggest making sure you have several cat trees and toys for you to use to play with her so your arms/hands/various other body parts aren't the target of her teeth/claws. Sphynx have a lot of energy and require some quality play time everyday to help burn it off. Another pet will also divert her scratches, but I know that is not an option for everyone (we are a 1 cat only household, but there are many times when I wish that I had a friend for Arias to play with). Especially since you are just finding all this out about Bella, I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to add more on your plate.

Please keep us all posted on Bella's cardiologist visit! Keeping our paws crossed that her heart murmur isn't serious!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Bella is adorable. How could anyone not fall in love with her? I hope all goes well with the cardiologist. Please keep us updated. In the mean time have you tried those cardboard scratching pads? They are cheap (you can even make your own) and easy to find (I picked one up at the grocery store). They are light weight and easy to move where you need them. If Bella doesn't take to it right away, keep encouraging her and sprinkle the cardboard pad with a little cap nip. Bella is still young and impressionable, not to mention Sphynx are very smart, and can be trained. Good luck.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Welcome to the site.
Show your husband the graphic pics of declawing.
I have seen what it has done to cats and it is even worse on sphynx then normal cats because their paws are different.
My Aunt made the mistake and Ranidi almost died for it because she fell and could not grab on.
She got hurt very bad.
Also many cats will refuse to use the pan and start biting after.
BTW I have a cat with a heart murmur that is 2/3 and she just turned 10.
Not all heart murmurs are HCM.
Also know KETAMINE it is not safe.

marcar

Lairian
Thank you! I don't really want to declaw Bella is my husband but today I'm gonna go to petsmart and buy some of those claw caps or whoever they are call but wouldn't she eat them?
Yeah even my daughter was looking at some really tough pictures I didn't even want to see because I'm sure is very bad.
How can I repost the breeder if she really is one? or what can I do if she wasn't a breeder??

Again, Thanks.

The heart murmur can be very expensive to take care of and there is no guarantee that the breeder will pay for the tests so I wouldnt count on it. I would take some of the money from the Declawing and help pay for the testing. Please make sure that if you are committed to keeping her that you are truly committed to keeping her comfortable for the rest of her life. I know you want to keep her because you guys are attached but you need to do whats best for the cat no matter how much it might hurt. If the breeders house was dirty and in bad conditions, then you need to report her. Dont let her do this to anyone else.

When you bring up declawing in this forum you are opening a HUGE can! I personally think that you have to make the decision with the cat in mind and not you. Please please please do your research BEFORE you declaw your cat. It is such an invasive surgery that can have some irreversable consiquenses. There are many in here that are extremely against declawing and some that have declawed cats (including me). Most of us that have declawed cats got them this way and some have emotional and physical setbacks because of it. My cat that is declawed cant jump on counters and has some problems with playing with the other cats because he slides accross the kitchen floor and hits the cabinets. He doesnt have emotional issues though. Well.....at least from declawing :Woo:. Anyway, Im not going to bash you for wanting to declaw but I will tell you that I am against it and that you need to do lots of research before you make the decision to do it.

Good luck in your decisions

marcar

Lairian
Hi, what is a good web site to look at more info and pictures about declawing?

Thanks for your comment.

Welcome to the site.
Show your husband the graphic pics of declawing.
I have seen what it has done to cats and it is even worse on sphynx then normal cats because their paws are different.
My Aunt made the mistake and Ranidi almost died for it because she fell and could not grab on.
She got hurt very bad.
Also many cats will refuse to use the pan and start biting after.
BTW I have a cat with a heart murmur that is 2/3 and she just turned 10.
Not all heart murmurs are HCM.
Also know KETAMINE it is not safe.

marcar

Lairian
Yes she has one of those and she like it and she also has a big tree house where she stretch and scratsh but the thing is that she scratch a lot when she goes on our neck (haha! yeah she is like a monkey too cute) or even when I'm seating on the computer when she jumps in my lap some times she slides down and end up scratching me ouch! or even went she plays, but I will buy those things for her claws.

Thank you!

Bella is adorable. How could anyone not fall in love with her? I hope all goes well with the cardiologist. Please keep us updated. In the mean time have you tried those cardboard scratching pads? They are cheap (you can even make your own) and easy to find (I picked one up at the grocery store). They are light weight and easy to move where you need them. If Bella doesn't take to it right away, keep encouraging her and sprinkle the cardboard pad with a little cap nip. Bella is still young and impressionable, not to mention Sphynx are very smart, and can be trained. Good luck.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes she has one of those and she like it and she also has a big tree house where she stretch and scratsh but the thing is that she scratch a lot when she goes on our neck (haha! yeah she is like a monkey too cute) or even when I'm seating on the computer when she jumps in my lap some times she slides down and end up scratching me ouch! or even went she plays, but I will buy those things for her claws.

Thank you!

How often do you trim her nails? I trim my kitten's nails every 1-2 weeks. He even lets me file down any rough edges with an emery board.

Back