Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Black Friday?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have to know who else is crazy like me and going shopping on black Friday?
Me, my girlfriend and the kids and their friends will pile into the car at 5am and head to the mall. The kids are old enough to walk around and we get some shopping done and hit some good sales. I love it! Just seeing all the craziness is a thrill!
I know I'm nuts:Hysterical::LOL::LOL:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm a nutty nut too:LOL: My first stop is Target-4am then on to the mall:BigSmile:
Everyone in my house sleeps while I do all the shopping. I love the thrill of a good sale and lots of espresso in my system:LOL:

Chameleon924

Lairian
I never go (even if I don't work). I am not a shopper as it is and with all the chaos I def won't go out. LOL.

Last year a man was trampled/killed at my local Wal-Mart! :Cry:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We used to go every year as a tradition, but last year and now, this year- my Hubby flies out for work on Black Friday :( Which is sad for me, but good for the pocketbook, I guess!

I did want to point out for anyone with youngsters- Target has a kicking deal on the Leapster Tag books right now. They are buy one, get one free. They range from $10-$14, so it was a great deal to get four for $20! I bought my 5 year old the Leapster Tag for Christmas, so this was a cheap way to add some books into the deal too ;)

Gizzymom

Banned
I never go (even if I don't work). I am not a shopper as it is and with all the chaos I def won't go out. LOL.

I remember that!!! He was an employee I think.

You couldn't PAY me to go out in that mess!! I am only going on Friday after work to pick up a camera... If it is sold out... it wasn't meant to be. :ThumbsUp:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I remember that too, and he wasn't a little old fellow, he was a strapping big young man IIRC.

I do all my shopping online and have done so for many years. Can't beat sitting here in flannel jammies with a glass of wine and taking a nap when done. Eh forget the excitement, give me peace and quiet! And Walmart is having free shipping on everything ordered online too, can't beat that.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I am debating doing this for the first time. Is it worth it? Any strategies/suggestions?

Look at all the adds see what you need, get up early, drink lots of coffee, and shop away! Don't forget to step back and do some people watching this can be amusing:LOL:
Have fun!
Pet smart is having a good half off sale on alot of stuff.
And Victoria secret is giving away a nice bag filled with goodies!

Gizzymom

Banned
I remember that too, and he wasn't a little old fellow, he was a strapping big young man IIRC.

I do all my shopping online and have done so for many years. Can't beat sitting here in flannel jammies with a glass of wine and taking a nap when done. Eh forget the excitement, give me peace and quiet! And Walmart is having free shipping on everything ordered online too, can't beat that.

I second that, Marlene!! I am much more into Cyber Monday than Black Friday!!:ThumbsUp:

Ahicks99

Banned
I Love Black Friday!!! I wait all year long to go shopping at 3 am. :BigSmile: I love it and wish we had more early shopping days like this. Anytime is a good time for Shopping for me. I love love love it! Makes for good gifts. Because this is the one time I actually go out and but for everyone else plus some goodies for me. :BigSmile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I am debating doing this for the first time. Is it worth it? Any strategies/suggestions?
I've only ever done it about 5 years ago, a old lady had the nerve to take an item out of my hands. This sounds mean but I snatched it back and told her to go boss someone else around.

I heard about that - crazyness!!!!

Look at all the adds see what you need, get up early, drink lots of coffee, and shop away! Don't forget to step back and do some people watching this can be amusing:LOL:
Have fun!
Good to know about VS & PetSmart !!:ThumbsUp:

Dawn, There is a website called blackfriday.com that has all the flyers already, so you can plan ahead of where you want to hit...:ThumbsUp:
Going there now!!! Thanks!!:ThumbsUp:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
About 3 years ago a friend convinced me to go shopping with her on Black Friday. I was overwhelmed by the long lines and disappointed by my success rate. I swore I would never go again unless I was either drunk, stoned or sedated. :Dizzy:

ktate88

Banned
Have fun!

I agree! We sit down as a family Thursday morning after breakfast and strategize who is going where. Typically I can count on my dad and brother to go to Sams, Best Buy, and Walmart. We typically do it, but I'm not feeling it this year. My sister and I usually tag team and she is working this year...

Def plan your route based on deals and opening times.
Also wear comfy shoes-- you will be up and waiting in line a while if you go to the big stores.
Layer your clothes-- hot in the stores with all those people!!
And I agree, people watching is great :ThumbsUp:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

WHHHAAAAAAA????? WTF?!?!?!!? Are you SERIOUS?! Lord have mercy, I thought we Canadians were crazy, but this is wow! :Dizzy:

Reading these posts about strategies, planning out, footwear.....you'd think it was a military operation or something! LOL We don't have black friday here in Canada. Our boxing day (week) sales are pretty good though.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It kinda is a military operation for a lot of families- and it's a lot of fun IF you make it fun, IF you realize 'you get what you get and you don't throw a fit' (Hahahaha- that's a saying my kids learned from daycare a loooong time ago).

But too many people think they are ENTITLED to the... 50 flatscreens at Walmart that are marked down or the super hot toy at Toys R Us that they only have 100 in stock, etc.

We used to check the sites, check the flyers, and then decide where to go- but we made it fun :) The good deals we got- we were happy about. The real craziness- we avoided. Like I think JC Penny's gave away free snowglobes at the door? Little ones... We'd go there to collect them and bring friends and family to get a couple extras (I don't know why- hahaha). And we'd always have IHOP for breakfast afterwards.

I think the only good thing about missing it is that while there ARE deals, you are also inclined to splurge while making those good deals. Say- you see something like the Leapster books which are an awesome deal. Well, next thing you know, you have the Leapster books, a Thomas the Train railroad track and a remote control car in your cart.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:ThumbsDown: Black Friday :ThumbsDown: I've been a retail manager for 8 years now... From the day after Thanksgiving the day after x-mas I barley get to see my family :Sad: It's does go by quickly though and it's probably the funnest time to work, but I sometimes wish I could enjoy the Holidays again :Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It kinda is a military operation for a lot of families.

Reminds me - the one year I went a bunch of women were in a convoy of mini van, I'm not kidding you - they had a driver and they were dropped off at the doors - went in with list and walkie talkies (everyone had walkies) and they pretty much shopped like the Navy Seals of shoppers - they had a method thats for sure! All I could do was crack up!! lol

Inferno12

Banned
Reminds me - the one year I went a bunch of women were in a convoy of mini van, I'm not kidding you - they had a driver and they were dropped off at the doors - went in with list and walkie talkies (everyone had walkies) and they pretty much shopped like the Navy Seals of shoppers - they had a method thats for sure! All I could do was crack up!! lol

:LOL::LOL::Hysterical::LOL::LOL: thats funny. People amaze me!!!

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think the only good thing about missing it is that while there ARE deals, you are also inclined to splurge while making those good deals. Say- you see something like the Leapster books which are an awesome deal. Well, next thing you know, you have the Leapster books, a Thomas the Train railroad track and a remote control car in your cart.

Mmmmm, yes, that would be me and I would be able to justify it in my mind that it is ok, just like I did with my Jeffers order...."well it's only $2, I'm saving $10!!!!!" :LOL:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Wow, LOL, that's a little scary :LOL: That is SERIOUS :Struggle: shopping!

tessblack

Banned

OK so I hope you are not drinking wine at 4am!!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back