Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Black heads?

Treespirit

Lairian
Hey, I've been noticing some little bumps around Lyra's mouth that look like black heads. Do Sphynx get pimples like that? Or could this be something else? Is it a cause for concern? I am guessing it's because the wet food gets messy around her mouth when she eats. I'm trying to clean it regularly and we'll see if that helps.

Does anyone have any input?

Treespirit

Lairian
Thanks for the link, admin. I figured there was already another thread about this. I should have searched.

Thank you also, ckutkuhn7. Glad to hear your dealings with blackheads. I was curious as to how common this was, and am happy to hear it is not a rare thing.

GioThermal

Lairian
I just got Nyiah this past Saturday and she has TONS of blackheads. She was always fed wet food. I've always fed my cats dry food. My cats never had blackheads. I was surprised too when I saw Nyiahs chin. The breeder told me to squeeze them to get rid of them. I squeezed a couple (absolutely disgusting!) and she's starting to look a little better. But yes, wet food must cause this. Just keep the chin clean. :ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
oh gosh - I'm so sorry. Wish I had advice on another way to get rid of them but I think thats really the only way. Just do a few a day I guess and wash her face daily, hopefully she will clear up until they are all gone.

GioThermal

Lairian
I popped them for like a good hour Saturday night after I bathed her. No more wet food for that pimple chin. I've left her alone for now. I plan on giving her another bath tomorrow night. I'm sure it will clear up soon enough. It's just NASTY! She needs Proactiv or something. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

GioThermal

Lairian
I know it's mean but I wrapped Nyiah up in a towel to keep her from scratching my eyes out. She hated it... and so did I. When we were done I was gagging and she was crying. It's a little something like mid-evil torture. :Dizzy:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just got through popping about a hundred black and white heads on NOfuratu's chin. Popping and cleaning them hasnt helped clear them up. Im going to try washing with antibacterial soap twice daily but think he will need antibiotics to get rid of it.

Make sure you are using ceramic dishes and not plastic. Some cats get chin acne from plastic dishes.

www.nofurautu.blogspot.com

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yes good reminder Nofuratu no plastic dishes.
Athena has had black heads before, Leo has not had any and Max that went with SillyLilly's mother in law had alot. I always pop them when I see them I can't just leave it after I see it, my husband complains that I should just leave them but I just can't.

Trinka

Lairian
my Trinka gets them - i heard it was part of her line - one breeder found using apple cider vinegar as a toner after bathing works - my Trinka decided she does not need baths / grooming anymore so we do weekly wipedowns and sometime use stridex - my latest with wiping her down is using special dry cotton gloves - which she loves and is working as well - she breaksout on her chin, cheeks and legs. she loves to wrestle when i have the gloves so i get a go go at her legs then. i also give her krill oil with her breakfast; she is not very cooperative with extractions unfortunately. i should add that we seem to be controlling the breakouts but have not mastered eliminating them yet.

here is the link for the gloves that i am using
CUPRON - AntiMicrobial products shield against bacteria and fungi.

Last edited:

Treespirit

Lairian
I just got through popping about a hundred black and white heads on NOfuratu's chin. Popping and cleaning them hasnt helped clear them up. Im going to try washing with antibacterial soap twice daily but think he will need antibiotics to get rid of it.

Make sure you are using ceramic dishes and not plastic. Some cats get chin acne from plastic dishes.

www.nofurautu.blogspot.com

I'd never use plastic bowls. They get so gross and seem harder to clean and probably carry a lot of bacteria. Yuck!

So far I've been wiping her mouth after she eats the wet food, and we'll see where I go from there.

Thanks everyone for all of your tips.

Back