Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Boy VS Girl?????

sassyskye79

Lairian
SO I want to know are there any pros and cons of getting a male VS a girl Sphynx. I have a girl and was worried about a boy peeing on things....

Moonstone

Lairian
SO I want to know are there any pros and cons of getting a male VS a girl Sphynx. I have a girl and was worried about a boy peeing on things....

What is the meaning of "peeing" ? Do you mean spraying ?

Males are very tender, a little bit more than the females I think.
Some studs are spraying in the house, I've one like this...Grrrr. We dress him with "panties" +panty protectors, but it is difficult for everybody.
I hope to neuter him soon, still 2 litters.
Neutered ones don't have this problem.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think if you nueter them there should not be a problem. because we breed ours yes he has been a naughty leo from time to time!:tinysmile_angry2_t:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I went through that same debate when I was contemplating ButterBall. He's about 9 months old and not neutered yet. His urine does have a pretty strong smell to it, but no more than his poop. He's got an appointment to get his procedure in a couple of weeks. It has been my experience that male cats are nicer than female cats. That is why I chose male. But, it really depends I guess. I have had no problems with ButterBall urinating where he is not supposed to. He came very well trained.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
After seeing many cats come in & out of the vet; males are definitely more affectionate than females. If you neuter your male cat before he starts spraying then it will not be an issue. Females are affectionate but it is when they want to be. Males just tend to always want to be around you & love you. Think of real life; us females are a little more temperamental & guys are more laid back, same with dogs. Every pet I own is male; with the exception of my tortoise because you can't tell their sex until they are much older.

Moonstone

Lairian
I went through that same debate when I was contemplating ButterBall. He's about 9 months old and not neutered yet. His urine does have a pretty strong smell to it, but no more than his poop. He's got an appointment to get his procedure in a couple of weeks. It has been my experience that male cats are nicer than female cats. That is why I chose male. But, it really depends I guess. I have had no problems with ButterBall urinating where he is not supposed to. He came very well trained.

I heard that if the male is not in contact with females (queens) he may not spray at all, even if he's not neutered.
males who are living with females are most always spraying...our little stud (only 8 months) just begin to spray yesterday...:tinysmile_cry_t4:.
2 studs spraying in the house....
:tinysmile_cry_t4:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
My male is much more affectionate and "people like" then my female. But I love them both.:tinysmile_grin_t:

silly4lilly

Lairian
my male is wayyy more affectionate than my male. my female will be so lovey dovey one week and the next week she does not want to be touched.. my male is such a mommas boy i love it!!!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with everyone on the boy girl thing. but just thought I would share this to all with spraying males I was having the problem and could not get rid of the smell or get Leo to stop, I have been buying everything that had A lable that said no more odor and your pet won't go there again well bottles and bottles nothing worked, so I am in Shop rite 2 weeks ago and I see one called kids n pets ok I have both so i'm sold thinking this won't work well I was wrong it worked great no more smell nothing and Leo has not sprayed there since the can is blue cap with yellow can after you clean you just spray on and let it soak in and dry I can't belive it I am so happy the smell sure was bad.:tinysmile_twink_t:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I had Midnight who was a male I swore that I could only have male pets because they are just so full of love, and Midnight was a real big mommas boy. After getting Meecho though I found that she is just as much if not more affectionate then Midnight. My friend put it in a good perspective for me and I think it makes since.

Males will automatically love you and show you love immediately. Females you have to earn that love, but once you do it will rival that of the male. Kinda made me think of my male and female human friends and I actually saw quite a comparison there.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As a general rule of thumb usually male animals cling to female humans & female animals generally cling to male humans. No one really knows why there have been multiple studies done; they are thinking something to do with hormones but can not pinpoint it.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Kerrie that sounds good, probably because males animals, or human can no way live without us females and they know it, it's that the sphynx is smart enough to suck up to us and really show us they care! All kidding aside I started to type male all the way Leo is just such A love, But Athena just curled up on me and is kissing me and purring away. So I know they both love me I do think too A female that lives with A male is A bit cranky because she spends most of her day running from the male when enough is enough and he just has A one tract mind. So can you blame the females in that case? :tinysmile_aha_t: I guess I should change my name to ilovemysphynx's!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a female sphynx and she is the most loving thing EVER!!!! She's always that way...she doesn't seem to have the moodiness of other females. She makes my two Siamese cats seem cold and standoffish in comparison.

Out of my two Siamese cats, my female Siamese is WAY more affectionate than my male. The females have been more affectionate for me than males within my experience with cats, but maybe that's not commonly the case with most people.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think to it is a lot of personal preference too.... BUT all of our animals (excluding our tortoise... we are not sure yet) are males & they all want to be by me & not my husband... it kills him! Although he is working out of town & won't be home until June so he hasn't met Kramer yet!

Moonstone

Lairian
the love of females and males is not exactely the same...they does'nt have the same way to say "I love you" , but females are very loving too.

Honesty, (my blue and white female) is on me every evening, she suckles herself on me, and purr...I put my cheek and my nose on his back, we both can stay long hours like that.

Sharmelle, (my white princess)is on me every morning, she jump on my knees when I take my breakfast, put her head in my neck and she licks my neck and my cheek, then she drinks my apple juice and come again to lick me...
it's so cute...

I love my females sphynx !
;-)))

my males are more speed, more brutal, they push her head on my chin, purrr and purrrrr and purrr and one of them suckles my finger very hard ! ouch !

I love my males sphynx !

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I for one love the male personality in all cats..they just have a lot more carefree attitude. I have two male and one female, and the female is too jumpy and scared of everything including her shadow. My two males could care less what's going on. Also your worry about peeing or "Spraying"...if you get your cay neutered at 6 months you wont have a problem. If you let it go too long past that they will start spraying..and once they start spraying there really is no stopping it.

Back