Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Breeding Related Question.

AnomalousSphynx

Lairian
Hello, I have had Sphynx for some time now but earlier this year I got a new breeding male. He was a yr old import from Russia and a proven Father. Off the bat he seemed to do okay with out females but got very hateful and aggressive so he had to go to his own room. When I have a female that I wish to breed with him even if I’m the posing position he attacks them and tries to hurt them the best he can. I have not had or heard of this happening with other males. So my question is could it be because he doesn’t have any other cats with him? Or should I just neuter him and how to find a younger male to raise around my female? He has an extensive pedigree. But I want what’s best for both him and my females.

AnomalousSphynx

Lairian
I also forgot to mention that he has successfully bred one of my females but he is so aggressive and abusive I don’t think I’d want him breeding them again unless I find a solution to his aggression. He was raised living in his own room but with other females i was told and he was the one who was bullied. However it’s the opposite here now.

susi794

Staff member
My stud male was an extremely aggressive breeder in the beginning, and I raised him from a kitten. He’s calmed down a little these days though. Are your girls very young? Are they deeply in heat when they go to the stud? Are they receptive to him at all? When cats breed it is rough and pretty violent and brutal looking...is your boy injuring the girls or just being rough? Maybe he’s too isolated. Can you screen off an area of his room to let the girls go in and out for several days while they aren't in heat? So he recognizes they are his harem? Maybe momdeeze has moreideas than I can think of. Another rason breeding is difficult. What to do with the stud?
Good luck with it. Just don’t get hurt trying to break up fights or anything. I spentover a week in the hospital when I got between two stud males...from a bite that sent the red line up my arm to within inches of my heart. OUCH!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awwhh ((hugs)))
We have wonderful members who can chime
Head smooches sent
Following for updates

AJSears

Lairian
I'm with susi794! Isolated studs get aggressive. Just like a child, they lash out if not given the attention they crave. A good solution for you may be to ditch the cat room and buy a cage to keep him in. Somewhere he can have more interaction. This is the cage I use. The one for the stud has a commercial grade, rubber backed floor mat in it.

Attachments

• 30123862_10214177739095701_3643753648197324117_n.jpg
    30123862_10214177739095701_3643753648197324117_n.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 57
Back