Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Brownish/reddish eye goop

knitwit

Lairian
Hi everyone,

I have a 7- 8 month old Sphynx kitten named Cookie. Over the last three or four days he has developed a brownish/reddish discharge from his eyes. Now, is this normal? Has anyone seen this before? Or is this part of his regular tearing? It is similar to the stuff you see coming out of the eyes of small white dogs who need their tear stains wiped away. Is that what I am dealing with here?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Christa

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I have a 7- 8 month old Sphynx kitten named Cookie. Over the last three or four days he has developed a brownish/reddish discharge from his eyes. Now, is this normal? Has anyone seen this before? Or is this part of his regular tearing? It is similar to the stuff you see coming out of the eyes of small white dogs who need their tear stains wiped away. Is that what I am dealing with here?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Christa

It's not uncommon for sphynx to get a little brownish eye boogies in the corners of there eyes - do you have some photos of it? If in doubt, always see your vet.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Emma get it too especially during the spring allergy season. Sounds completely normal to me.

I agree with admin, if you're really concerned a quick trip to the vet to ease your mind may help!

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
my sphynx boone has had it since i got him over 2 years ago, & my bambino sheldon developed it shortly after i got him last year. i know, its very unattractive, but its normal. as long as the goop isn't yellow or greenish. that would mean infection.

andyhoi

Lairian
It sounds normal to me but if your worried bring him to the vet. My sphynx usually has similar eye goop and I just wipe it away with a wet paper towel.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Christa

Sounds like normal eye discharge. I've been told that the brownish to reddish brown color is just eye boogs with dirt mixed in. So long as the red isn't bright red like blood!

rlewis899

Lairian
Owning a Sphynx is not for the squeamish is it? Every morning mine get their faces washed to get the lovely, stringy, gooey rust colored eye boogers. Then once a month I clean the cats favorite windows, removing the nasal boogers, sneeze over-spray and general grime. I've never had such clean sheets as I have to wash them at the very least once a week.

Whole lotta cleaning goin' on! :LOL:

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes it's normal it is no different then the junk we remove from the inner corner of our eyes every morning. Remember they do not have lashes so more debris goes into their eyes. My lil guy Apollo pretty much comes to me every morning to get rid of his sleepies (lol) its our ritual. However if goop becomes yellow or green a vet trip may be necessary. You can first try to keep clean several times a day and use a NO NAME BRAND triple antibotic ointment across eyes. DO NOT USE NEOSPORIN). Basically eye drops are antibotic just kicked up with a steroid and ich reliever so if you want you can go that way too. But redish-brown goop is nornal clean with warm baby wash cloth. Hope this helps

LeeWoolrich

Lairian
Hi Christa,

Our little Sienna recently went to have a check-up with the vet (we had her about 5 weeks ago). Her eyes were a little 'gluppy', the vet said she had a little bit of conjunctivitis and gave us antibiotic drops. Its not serious of course, but worth checking out with a vet so that Cookie is 100% happy and comfortable.

Good luck

alyssamikael24

Lairian
My elf sphynx doesn't get them near as bad as my female white/pink sphynx. I have to clean my females eyes atleast once a day or it builds up and I imagine it's uncomfortable for her! My male though, his are just dry little crusties that rub right out. I think it's normal! However always check with a vet if you think something is wrong. :)

Back