Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bug Repellant for cats

miss_gldelx

Lairian
Does anyone know if you can use something like Avon's Skin So Soft on Sphynx? I was out in the front yard this weekend with Harley, and mosquitoes were trying their hardest to get a little taste of her. I live in South Texas where it has rained a ton so far this year which of course is perfect conditions for mosquitoes.

I tried to find other threads on this topic, but havent come across anything yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats, I believe you've posted a question none of us can answer! I know I'm completely clueless about it, sorry.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm not aware of one. If you can't eat it then its probably not good to put on a sphynx. I'm curious in the answer tho if there is something we could use. I leave Snuffie home many times because I can't take her out in the buggy weather. Only suggestion I have is maybe check with the vet.

There is something called Liquid Net for pets, aka furry animals but I'm not sure this is safe for our Sphynx,,might want to dig into that further.

I hope you find something.

susi794

Staff member
I don't know this either, but am curious if you find something. Maybe something approved for babies????

LadyZephyr

Lairian
Let's see. As far as I am aware, citrus/citronella smells repell mosquitoes, thats why the bug repellant candles and sprays you can buy all smell that way. Now if you could find a natural product that was citrus based that she can't/wont ingest wouldn't that be the best way forward. Im just guessing here of course and you should delve deeper and seek more advice, but yeah, I know Sphynx aren't allowed to eat Citrus fruits, but smelling like them shouldn't harm them right?

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very good question! With all the flooding here lately, the mosquitoes are brutal, even during the day. I thought about attaching those Off! clip-on thingies to each of their strollers. Does anyone think this would be a good/bad idea?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I remember reading a review of Thera Neem soapless shampoo in the product review section. The shampoo is good on grease and grime, but I believe someone added that neem has natural repellent qualities as well.

LLevenson

Lairian
I bought this but haven't tried it out yet. I got it for when we visit my mother-in-law in Texas....luckily for us in California, we don't have a bug issue so I don't know when I will get a chance to try it out. When/if I do I will let you all know the results!

It IS strong smelling, so I've hesitated using it b/c I like the smell of my little Sphynx. BUT it is ALL natural, and says it's safe for cats. I wonder if you could just dab a few drops on the skin and it would repel bugs instead of a full spray down?

Natural Pet Herbal Defense Spray

Last edited by a moderator:

braverducky

Lairian
I was wondering the same thing camping this weekend. Here in Northern Ontario we sell bug repellent for dogs/cats/horses in equestrian stores. Most of them say safe for pets over the age of 8 weeks. I'm not sure if it would be safe for the hairless friends but it could be worth a shot.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I thought of something the other day,,I saw those "Clip it, OFF Bug repellent" things. that would be safe to use around our kitties,,clip it to their leash or something close to where they are laying/sitting. Just a thought.

miss_gldelx

Lairian
I thought of something the other day,,I saw those "Clip it, OFF Bug repellent" things. that would be safe to use around our kitties,,clip it to their leash or something close to where they are laying/sitting. Just a thought.

Yea, i was wondering if those would be ok to use. Thank you all for responding. Sorry i havent been able to say thanks earlier. Have a lot going on right now. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

lawgrl

Lairian
There's an article that says Avon Skin So Soft is ok to use on sphynx.

edit: I haven't actually seen the ingredient list on Skin So Soft and I generally don't like putting anything non-edible on my cats...so, I don't mean to imply that I endorse the use of Skin So Soft, just that this particular article says it's OK.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

artadams

Lairian
Does anyone know if you can use something like Avon's Skin So Soft on Sphynx? I was out in the front yard this weekend with Harley, and mosquitoes were trying their hardest to get a little taste of her. I live in South Texas where it has rained a ton so far this year which of course is perfect conditions for mosquitoes.

I tried to find other threads on this topic, but havent come across anything yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Can't recommend anything, but I was interested in your location S. Texas! I'm in San Antonio right now (where I work) but own a home in McAllen, TX. I have been looking for a Sphynx forever and only come up with scammers. Can you tell me your town, and where you adopted your cat?

Art

miss_gldelx

Lairian
Can't recommend anything, but I was interested in your location S. Texas! I'm in San Antonio right now (where I work) but own a home in McAllen, TX. I have been looking for a Sphynx forever and only come up with scammers. Can you tell me your town, and where you adopted your cat?

Art

Hey Art - Im close to Houston, and got my cat from Both Blake and Ferrin are great to work with, and they have GREAT cats! Hope you find what you are looking for.

Back