Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Calamox or other antibiotics

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie and SoBe have been on antibiotics now for 4 days. SoBe's sneezing has decreased to once a day if that, Snuffie isn't coughing as hard or nearly as often. They are sleeping ALL DAY. SoBe atleast plays when she gets up after she eats but Snuffie is defintley less active. She gets up and eats and then either hogs a heater vent or lays in my arms like a baby like she does and sleeps more. I just don't see happiness in her eyes like I could a week ago. She will sit in my lap and watch SoBe play and she tilts her head like she wants to play but doesn't. Snuffies chest has started to rattle when she breaths some and when she coughs you can tell she is bringing up the goo but swallowing it.
I called the vet, he said this is typical and Snuffie should show marked improvement by Saturday, if not he'll get her a stronger antibiotic.

What would that be? Are there any antibiotics that are considered "not recommended" for this breed? I want to do my home work incase I end up taking Snuffie back in and I don't want to get something that could make her worse.

ckutkuhn7

Banned

You can use Doxy or Baytril or Clinda Drops.
My vet does not like to use clavamox anymore because it never works for my cats.
I have used all those for my sphynx.
I would use Baytril last though because it is very strong.
Try Doxy next.

Thanks Mews. I'll write those down and keep them in my purse just incase we end up going back. SoBe was on clavamox shortly after she came home. I'm thinking I'm treating the same crap again cuz it didn't work the first time. She's always sneezed from time to time but she roots through everything and her eyes cleared up so I thought she was fine. Now I'm treating another URI and a lung infection. How the heck does a cat get a lung infection without noticing they are sick in the first place? :Sweat:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Now I'm treating another URI and a lung infection. How the heck does a cat get a lung infection without noticing they are sick in the first place? :Sweat:

Because animals - especially cats - are very good at hiding illnesses and injuries. Mother Nature gave them that ability. Because an animal that appears ill out in the wild often ends up being dinner for another critter.

I hope your girls get better soon. Keep a really close eye on that rattling and if it gets worse take her back in asap. Something like that can take a turn for the worse in no time flat.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree watch her.
They thought Cleo had Pneumonia once not long after I got her.
They took xrays and everything.
We tried 3 antibiotics then we did Baytril for a month and it worked well.
I sure hope both your cats feel better.
Polar never gets sick for some reason.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Well Snuffie isn't rattleing too much tonight - she got up and ate her food and of course showed her cute "I'm begging please" face and got some roasted chicken. I'm such a lush when they don't feel well. lol

ktate88

Banned
I hope the girls start feeling better soon!!

Have they nebulized them? It is usually very helpful. Also, try home remedies like putting them in the bathroom with you when you shower.

ssummers

Lairian
I've had really good luck with Baytril with Coraline. It doesn't upset her stomach unlike some of the others. The only antibiotic we've had major trouble with is the cat version of Keflex (cephalexin I think). Coraline threw up 4 times in an hour after I gave it to her. Yuck!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I hope the girls start feeling better soon!!

Have they nebulized them? It is usually very helpful. Also, try home remedies like putting them in the bathroom with you when you shower.

I've read before that this can sometimes cause they airways to swell so I'm hesitant about this method.

A new developement. I always give the kitties a treat after they take their meds. Well Snuffie took her meds great for me the first 3 days or so. Now when I try to give to her she gags on it and ends up spitting most of it by drool hanging out of her mouth. What the heck! Just tonight she jerked her head in a fashion that made the dropper thing go down her throat and I KNOW that gagged the life out of her. Any suggestions on giving this liquid to her? She is also refusing treats now as well.

SoBe takes it like a champ and chomps down the treats. I think she is all better now, we are just finishing out the bottle with her. Two days, no sneezing...whew!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
*Update*

Snuffie's breathing is still somewhat congested and she finishes off the Clavamox today. She is still gagging half of it up so I'm sure she hasn't received the full benefit of the meds.
They are going to me "Benequinn" (spelling??) a pill to give her. Not sure for how long yet but have any of you heard of this or used it? I tried to research it but I'm only finding that it may be used to treat vertiligo in humans. I'm slightly concerned. Thanks!

Gizzymom

Banned
*Update*

Snuffie's breathing is still somewhat congested and she finishes off the Clavamox today. She is still gagging half of it up so I'm sure she hasn't received the full benefit of the meds.
They are going to me "Benequinn" (spelling??) a pill to give her. Not sure for how long yet but have any of you heard of this or used it? I tried to research it but I'm only finding that it may be used to treat vertiligo in humans. I'm slightly concerned. Thanks!

Zeniquin is a pet antibiotic... But benoquin is used for vitiligo (like Michael Jackson had)... LOLOLOL... Amazing ... they sound SO similiar, but are SO different!!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Ok - thankyou...I'm sure I missunderstood her!!! God I hope!! My baby is tortie!! Could you imagine what it would do to her!!! lol

I'm slightly hearing impaired and only have about 60% of my hearing so this doesn't surprise me. I read that it was used to treat the skin issues Michael Jackson had and FREAKED OUT!!! LOL

Now I can do my research on it! lol

Gizzymom

Banned
Ok - thankyou...I'm sure I missunderstood her!!! God I hope!! My baby is tortie!! Could you imagine what it would do to her!!! lol

I'm slightly hearing impaired and only have about 60% of my hearing so this doesn't surprise me. I read that it was used to treat the skin issues Michael Jackson had and FREAKED OUT!!! LOL

Now I can do my research on it! lol

Instead of a tortie, she would be more dilute! LOLOLOL:LOL::LOL:

And OMG... we do NOT want her looking like Michael Jackson!!!! LOLOLOL:Hysterical:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Another update,,,SoBe just had a coughing spell and a few more sneezes, she only has 1 dose of clavamox left so we are putting her on another round of clavamox. Thankfully she takes it like a champ!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry the girls are sick. Doxy worked wonders with Gummi. Clavamox didnt do a thing.
I hope they are feeling better soon. I know how terrible it is to see them feel so bad.

susi794

Staff member
Doxycycline and Zithromax are the only things that ever worked on my cats--not clavamox or baytril or any of about 5 other kinds of antibiotics. Doxy works on most every sphynx I've heard of. Zithro is really expensive but works well too. I'd ask for the doxy if I were you.

ktate88

Banned
I forget which area of the country you are in, but Publix has free antibiotics. Its a southern chain

Baytil and Clavamox are vet only and can be quite expensive.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have heard Zithromax is good also but have never used it yet.
I would use something else for the other cat because I bet the clavamox is not going to work.
You can order antibiotics online as long as the vet oks it.
I have done it before.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Hi all - here is a update, sorry its been so long,,been sleeping my days away due to get up at 430am to get the boyfriend off to work and the kid to school,,its left me exhausted. Anyhow, on Monday I called the vet back and the girls were still showing signs of illness, slightly.

I didn't want to stop the antibiotics and erase what little we had already accomplished. So we extended SoBe's clavamox, she's been doing much better and has shown no signs of sneezes now since Tuesday so she is finishing out her bottle. Snuffie has been doing great but then sounded conjested again when she was purring in my ear around dinner time...hmmmm, so we'll see...She is on the Zenoquin in pill form and taking it so well,,yay!!

I gave them both a bath tonight and washed all their clothes and blankets also lysol'd their kitty bed to kill any germs they might be picking back up or something. Just being cautious I suppose.

They are doing great tonight tho and running around and getting dirty again so all is well. lol

Thank you for the suggestions of the other antibiotics, I'll certainly check out doxy if this doesn't make it all go away.

Last edited:
Back