Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat myths unveiled!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Myths and Facts About Cats

Are these statements true or false?

Cats always land on their feet.
Cats should drink milk everyday.

The correct answer to both is FALSE.

These are common misunderstandings that veterinarians frequently hear from pet owners, according to the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). Following is a list of popular myths that AAHA veterinarians and The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) would like to dispel.

Myth: Cats always land on their feet.
Fact: While cats instinctively fall feet first and may survive falls from high places, they also may receive broken bones in the process. Some kind of screening on balconies and windows can help protect pets from disastrous falls.

Myth: Cats should drink milk everyday.
Fact: Most cats like milk, but do not need it if properly nourished. Also, many will get diarrhea if they drink too much milk. If it is given at all, the amount should be small and infrequent.

Myth: Cats that are spayed or neutered automatically gain weight.
Fact: Like people, cats gain weight from eating too much, not exercising enough or both. In many cases, spaying or neutering is done at an age when the animal's metabolism already has slowed, and its need for food has decreased. If the cat continues to eat the same amount, it may gain weight. Cat owners can help their cats stay fit by providing exercise and not over-feeding.

Myth: Cats cannot get rabies.
Fact: Actually, most warm-blooded mammals, including cats, bats, skunks and ferrets, can carry rabies. Like dogs, cats should be vaccinated regularly according to local laws.

Myth: Indoor cats cannot get diseases.
Fact: Cats still are exposed to organisms that are carried through the air or brought in on a cat owner's shoes or clothing. Even the most housebound cat ventures outdoors at some time and can be exposed to diseases and worms through contact with other animals feces.

Myth: Tapeworms come from bad food.
Fact: Pets become infected with tape worms from swallowing fleas, which carry the parasite. Also, cats can get tapeworms from eating infected mice or other exposed animals.

Myth: Putting garlic on a pet's food will get rid of worms.
Fact: Garlic may make the animal's food taste better but has no effect on worms. The most effective way to treat worms is by medication prescribed by a veterinarian.

Myth: Pregnant women should not own cats.
Fact: Some cats can be infected with a disease called toxoplasmosis, which occasionally can be spread to humans through cat litter boxes and cause serious problems in unborn babies. However, these problems can be controlled, if the expectant mother avoids contact with the litter box and assigns daily cleaning to a friend or other family member.

Myth: A cat's sense of balance is in its whiskers.
Fact: Cats use their whiskers as "feelers" but not to maintain their balance.

Myth: Animals heal themselves by licking their wounds.
Fact: Such licking actually can slow the healing process and further damage the wound.

For the most accurate information on these and other concerns about pet health care, the American Animal Hospital Association and The Cat Fanciers' Association advise cat owners to contact a veterinarian.

Last edited:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Also Garlic should not be given to cats (or dogs) as it can cause anemia and kill them.

Another myth;
Cats do not steal the breath of babies either. I can only think that this myth came about due to either cot death and they had a pet cat, or a large cat may actually lay on a baby and the baby couldn't move, or alert its parents.
I know mine think they are parrots and like sitting on my neck.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Also Garlic should not be given to cats (or dogs) as it can cause anemia and kill them.

Another myth;
Cats do not steal the breath of babies either. I can only think that this myth came about due to either cot death and they had a pet cat, or a large cat may actually lay on a baby and the baby couldn't move, or alert its parents.
I know mine think they are parrots and like sitting on my neck.

This reminds me of a funny story. As we prepared for the arrival of our first daughter, my 87 year old grandmother kept warning me to "Watch those cats. You mark my words, they'll try to suck the life out of the baby." I politely laughed her off, but you can imagine my panic when I found Zulie sleeping with our newborn in her bassinet. My husband I both looked at each other and swore we would never tell my grandmother. After that we kept the baby's door closed until she was old enough to sleep with our Sphynx.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This reminds me of a funny story. As we prepared for the arrival of our first daughter, my 87 year old grandmother kept warning me to "Watch those cats. You mark my words, they'll try to suck the life out of the baby." I politely laughed her off, but you can imagine my panic when I found Zulie sleeping with our newborn in her bassinet. My husband I both looked at each other and swore we would never tell my grandmother. After that we kept the baby's door closed until she was old enough to sleep with our Sphynx.

:LOL:
I think thats where the myth/ old wives tale comes from. Just think of those soft blankets, warm baby and elevated views in a crib, it's an ideal spot for a cat bed in the cats eyes. Definitely a big risk but not from soul sucking or breath stealing.:Dizzy::LOL:

JoneSmith

Lairian
Yeahh it's interesting to know about these myths.sometime cats are seems to be a animals out of this world,their suddenly changed behaviour makes a character of many myths.generally there is a saying that:-:Surprise:

1. Cats have nine lives.
2. Cats like people that don’t like them.
3. Cats steal the breath from babies.

I just ants to know about these myths are they true or just myth.

Last edited by a moderator:

wanderpus

Lairian
The idea that cats like people who don't like them (or that they seem attracted to people who are allergic) is because these people tend not to make eye-contact when a cat walks into a room, because they don't want to draw its attention and bring it closer to them. However, this behavior in a way ATTRACTS cats, because they see this individual as non-threatening, and thus safe!

People who adore cats will stare at/call to/reach for a cat that enters the room. Eye-contact from this person may seem threatening/ahhressive to a cat, so they will naturally head for the least threatening individual in the room— the person NOT looking at them.

Yeahh it's interesting to know about these myths.sometime cats are seems to be a animals out of this world,their suddenly changed behaviour makes a character of many myths.generally there is a saying that:-:Surprise:

1. Cats have nine lives.
2. Cats like people that don't like them.
3. Cats steal the breath from babies.

I just ants to know about these myths are they true or just myth.

ShadyLaine

Lairian
A note on the spayed/neutered weight gain. When you alter a cat, it's actvity level DOES decrease, as it is not being driven by hormones to search for a mate. This being said, indoor cats also tend to put on more weight due to the lack of roaming space. The average unaltered male will have a "territory" of 15km that he would naturally patrol, spraying and searching for queens.

Appetite also skyrockets, mostly behavioural in nature. Because there is less to do indoors and because they are not being driven to find a mate or search for food(as there is a reliable resource), they tend to eat more, because it is something to do.

As owners of indoor, altered cats, it is up to us, the owners, to control portions and ensure that our feline companions get the exercise that they require. Remember: you are the one who controls what goes into your cat. A cat can't cheat on his diet without the help of someone to open that refrigerator door!

Technically, this myth is false, but there IS some truth to it. They don't "automatically gain weight" but it is much, MUCH easier for an altered, indoor cat to put on weight.

jessepalermo1

Banned
Because there is less to do indoors and because they are not being driven to find a mate or search for food(as there is a reliable resource), they tend to eat more, because it is something to do.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Instead of dropping a cat 1000 times to test the myth of them always landing on their feet I have a faster and fool proof way of testing this in just one drop.

We all know Murphy's law and if you don't it states that everything that can go wrong, will. This is an absolute truth and as sure as gravity.

So with that in mind we can by buttering up a toast and tie it to the back of a cat MAKE him land on his back since a toast never ever lands butter side up due to Murphy's law.

However if the "a cat always land on it's feet"-myth is also actually a fact it will land on it's side since these forces of nature then will equalize eachother.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Instead of dropping a cat 1000 times to test the myth of them always landing on their feet I have a faster and fool proof way of testing this in just one drop.

We all know Murphy's law and if you don't it states that everything that can go wrong, will. This is an absolute truth and as sure as gravity.

So with that in mind we can by buttering up a toast and tie it to the back of a cat MAKE him land on his back since a toast never ever lands butter side up due to Murphy's law.

However if the "a cat always land on it's feet"-myth is also actually a fact it will land on it's side since these forces of nature then will equalize eachother.

:LOL::Hysterical::LOL::Hysterical::LOL::Hysterical::LOL::ThumbsUp:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Myths and Facts About Cats

Are these statements true or false?
Cats always land on their feet.
Cats should drink milk everyday.
The correct answer to both is FALSE.

These are common misunderstandings that veterinarians frequently hear from pet owners, according to the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). Following is a list of popular myths that AAHA veterinarians and The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) would like to dispel.

Myth: Cats always land on their feet.
Fact: While cats instinctively fall feet first and may survive falls from high places, they also may receive broken bones in the process. Some kind of screening on balconies and windows can help protect pets from disastrous falls.

Myth: Cats should drink milk everyday.
Fact: Most cats like milk, but do not need it if properly nourished. Also, many will get diarrhea if they drink too much milk. If it is given at all, the amount should be small and infrequent.

Myth: Cats that are spayed or neutered automatically gain weight.
Fact: Like people, cats gain weight from eating too much, not exercising enough or both. In many cases, spaying or neutering is done at an age when the animal's metabolism already has slowed, and its need for food has decreased. If the cat continues to eat the same amount, it may gain weight. Cat owners can help their cats stay fit by providing exercise and not over-feeding.

Myth: Cats cannot get rabies.
Fact: Actually, most warm-blooded mammals, including cats, bats, skunks and ferrets, can carry rabies. Like dogs, cats should be vaccinated regularly according to local laws.

Myth: Indoor cats cannot get diseases.
Fact: Cats still are exposed to organisms that are carried through the air or brought in on a cat owner's shoes or clothing. Even the most housebound cat ventures outdoors at some time and can be exposed to diseases and worms through contact with other animals feces.

Myth: Tapeworms come from bad food.
Fact: Pets become infected with tape worms from swallowing fleas, which carry the parasite. Also, cats can get tapeworms from eating infected mice or other exposed animals.

Myth: Putting garlic on a pet's food will get rid of worms.
Fact: Garlic may make the animal's food taste better but has no effect on worms. The most effective way to treat worms is by medication prescribed by a veterinarian.

Myth: Pregnant women should not own cats.
Fact: Some cats can be infected with a disease called toxoplasmosis, which occasionally can be spread to humans through cat litter boxes and cause serious problems in unborn babies. However, these problems can be controlled, if the expectant mother avoids contact with the litter box and assigns daily cleaning to a friend or other family member.

Myth: A cat's sense of balance is in its whiskers.
Fact: Cats use their whiskers as "feelers" but not to maintain their balance.

Myth: Animals heal themselves by licking their wounds.
Fact: Such licking actually can slow the healing process and further damage the wound.

For the most accurate information on these and other concerns about pet health care, the American Animal Hospital Association and The Cat Fanciers' Association advise cat owners to contact a veterinarian.

Great information! Thanx:BigSmile:

WinterLily

Lairian
Thank Heavens. I thought my Sphynx was the only clutz on the planet. I have never seen such clumsy cats. I think he takes after me.....

LindaBuis

Lairian
........., but you can imagine my panic when I found Zulie sleeping with our newborn in her bassinet. My husband I both looked at each other and swore we would never tell my grandmother. After that we kept the baby's door closed until she was old enough to sleep with our Sphynx.
Sounds so familiar! When our son was still a little baby, our cats couldn't wait for the opportunity to curl up next to him, or on top of him in his bassinet, strawler etc.
Boy do they give you a scare the first time it happens :Surprise:
Today he's 5 and loves to have his cats with him in bed.

LindaBuis

Lairian
,,,,,,People who adore cats will stare at/call to/reach for a cat that enters the room. Eye-contact from this person may seem threatening/ahhressive to a cat, so they will naturally head for the least threatening individual in the room— the person NOT looking at them.

Guess I've got two abnormals living here though. :Cool: Bueno actually likes it when he's stared right into the eyes, gives a loud purr and jumps on your lap for a cuddle. Ziggy is even worse: as soon as you look him straight into his eyes, he will start purring so loud! it's insane, and ear plugs are advised :Woo::Woo: wiggling his tail like a dog and he will jump or climb you for some wonderful cuddlingsession

falaloo

Lairian
One would need to spend only about a half hour in my house to dispel the myth that cats land on their feet or the fact that they are "graceful". They could watch my kitten take a running leap at something and sail over it, missing it by about a mile, or watch my bigger boy try to jump on something and fall off it to land on his side, or watch him fall asleep on the tv and eventually fall off. Or, my favorite, when he tries to jump on something and only catches it with his front paws, scrambling with his back paws hanging as he tries to get up onto it...and finally gives up and gives me a look that says "A little help here?" LOL

Zomb1eKisses

Lairian

The other morning,my one year old daughter woke me up crying. When I went in I seen it was because she had kicked her blankets off.I went up and pulled the first blanket back up but when I reached For the second all I grabbed and pulled on was a warm naked kitten. I can't figure out when/how he got in her room, or how long he was in there, but he was purring very loudly when he seen I had discovered his toasty warm little hiding spot!

Roki

Lairian
... Or, my favorite, when he tries to jump on something and only catches it with his front paws, scrambling with his back paws hanging as he tries to get up onto it...and finally gives up and gives me a look that says "A little help here?" LOL

Yep, same here. I feel I'm frequently called upon to be the spotter just after these sort of leaps... usually a crash of some sort & they're hanging by two nails & a let out a little mew & I come running. I am very well trained, aren't I?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Isn't the landing on there feet one only apply to extreme hieghts? They need to time to react lol

Back