Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat out side

ninja4her

Lairian
Is it okey to take your cat outside like on a enclosed patio. we live in a town house with one and always thought it would be nice to let him sniff around on a lease. I hear that once they start liking the outdoors they might want to go out. Any opinions?

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If your kitty is anything like Butterball he/she will absolutely love the outdoors. And yes, they will always want to go outdoors. I used to have an enclosed outdoor porch and Butternuts always wanted to be outside. I was worried it would be too hot. I would bring him inside and he immediately went back to the door wanting back outside.

I think you'll be fine with kitty on a leash.

susi794

Staff member
You're right--taking them out gives them a desire to go out and they may dart out the door when you open it. Will your new baby be microchipped? I have to watch mine like a hawk--they try slipping out frequently.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
With Jack I put a harness and leash on him. Then I put him in a crate. Then we go in the car somewhere else. He has never tried to dart out the door. I have never just let him walk out the door ever. I do take him all over with me too in the car, to the store.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm hoping to train my kitten associate a harness and leash with going outside in hopes of reinforcing the idea that he can only go outside if his harness is on. Only time will tell if it will work.

ninja4her

Lairian
Thanks for all the help i'll probley get a harness and try putting him in the crate then letting him out on the patio. the new baby will not be chipped but i'm going to ask the vet about it because i sure don't want to loose them.

tessblack

Banned
I take mine out on harness and leash and they are good. I am pretty paranoid that they are going to get into something so we watch them. Mine are chipped but I also got them breakaway collars with there name and number on it. They do enjoy it. I also take them to pet smart as well, I like to get them out so they don't get so freaked out if I have to take them anywhere.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie goes everywhere I can get away with taking her. I do take her outside. She sits on the porch with me in her own little chair. lol I keep her on a leash and never ever let her walk outside on her own. I carry her out. She will wonder about on her leash,, I got her the retrackable kind so she can wonder away 15 feet or so but thats it.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i see a lot of people on here let their kitties out on a leash. However, i do not allow my cats outside. obviously it's a personal preference. and i know my kitties would LOVE to go out, but that's exactly why i don't. i'm scared that once they get the taste they'll shoot out the door like a bullet!! I already have an escaping kitty and am worried she'll get out and disappear. so i just keep them all cooped up- i know they'd love to be outside. it just scares me :(
If i had an enclosed porch though, i would allow them out there.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pedda loves to go outside but only on my terms. She's been firmly trained to stay away from open doors and never tries to sneak out (but I still watch for it just in case). I put her harness on then put her in a carrier or carry her outside. The trick to her not breaking her training is to never allow her to associate going out with something she does. In her mind it's a place she's taken, not a place she can go to under her own power.

I think letting a kitty out in an enclosed porch would be wonderful. But I would still use my rule of putting the kitty there rather than allowing it to walk out on the porch itself.

Back