Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cat Treats

PitRottMommy

Banned
We've used Greenies for Baldwin. My only complaint against Greenies is their affinity to use low quality proteins like chicken, beef, salmon and tuna. I would love it if, one day, Greenies chose to use proteins such as duck, lamb, rabbit, quail, goat, buffalo, etc. At the very least, cats with food allergies would be able to consume the treats.

We've also used the Petrodex treats for Baldwin. They absolutely stink, but he loves them.

The main factor with treats is making sure to give them infrequently as one would not want their cat to 1) become set on the treats being a food source and 2) would not become obese. Generally 1-2 treats/day is acceptable.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Mynakedcat,
And welcome to Sphynxlair! Thanks for joining and we hope you enjoy your visits!
We feed our Sphynx Greenies treats. They keep their teeth clean and they love them!
Here is a link for a free sample!
http://www.greenies.com/en_US/FreeSample/

Admin, thanks for the tip about the free greenies...not only am I getting a free greenies sample for Piglet, but I'm also getting free pill pocket treats for Sydney, too!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Admin, thanks for the tip about the free greenies...not only am I getting a free greenies sample for Piglet, but I'm also getting free pill pocket treats for Sydney, too!

Pill pockets are awesome. Baldwin hasn't found out yet that we're sneaking him pills with these bad boys. And they also have a variety for dogs, as well (I still make the complaint that there are none for allergy animals).

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pill pockets are awesome. Baldwin hasn't found out yet that we're sneaking him pills with these bad boys. And they also have a variety for dogs, as well (I still make the complaint that there are none for allergy animals).

I can't wait to try the pill pockets! Sydney is never very thrilled to take her daily heart meds every morning, so maybe the pill pockets will make the ordeal easier for her (BTW, Sydney is a Siamese, not a Sphynx).

PitRottMommy

Banned
I can't wait to try the pill pockets! Sydney is never very thrilled to take her daily heart meds every morning, so maybe the pill pockets will make the ordeal easier for her (BTW, Sydney is a Siamese, not a Sphynx).

If you're giving benazepril, lasix or something else very small, I think you'll have good luck. The bigger the tab, the harder it is to hide. I'm just thankful that Baytril makes taste tabs since I can usually plug one of those bad boys right into a pill pocket and Sru will eat it. Anyhow, good luck with the heart meds. I think Petsmart sells pill pockets, I know they sell greenies...just in case you wanna buy a bag. The sample contains only 4-5 pockets (and they will dry out if you don't close the box they send them in, FYI).

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yep, Sydney takes the benazepril (which are ultra-small) for her HCM, so it sounds like the pill pockets will work great!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Yep, Sydney takes the benazepril (which are ultra-small) for her HCM, so it sounds like the pill pockets will work great!

Remember, give her one to try FIRST before giving her a "loaded" one. This ensures she gets it in her head that she's getting something thats safe before you try to give her medication. Most cats chew slowly on the first treat and gobble the second one down. Good luck!

Brooke

Banned
Hey Sydkat, I used the Pill Pockets for Harold's heart meds. Worked like a charm for a few months (until he caught on...) They are kind of expensive, but the pills were small enough that I could actually tear the treats in half so the bag would last twice as long..PitRottMommy is right, the samples will dry out if you don't put them in a baggy after you open it.

Hope they work for you. It's a lot easier and less stressful for kitty with a heart condition to just give her a treat rather than wrestle a pill down her throat. Be sure to pinch the treat around the pill so it sticks to it, and make sure you watch her to be sure she eats the whole thing. Harold got really good at eating the treat and spitting the pills back out!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Brooke and PitRott, thanks much for the tips! They'll help a lot when it comes time to try the pill pcokets on my little sweetheart Syd. :)

Back