Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Chews on tail only after eating?

crockpot

Lairian
Hi all,

I’m a new registered user to the site but I’ve read countless threads over the years!

My cat, Sprout (F, just turned 6) seems uncomfortable after she eats and she will chew her tail for about 30 minutes during that time.

She gets overly excited for food, and has eaten too fast and thrown up in the past, so I stretch out her food over an hour in the morning (frozen raw) and 2 hours in the evening (kibble, automatic feeder).

Her tail chewing isn’t severe - doesn’t break the skin, but I can tell her whole demeanor changes for a little while after eating. I described all of this and showed videos to my vet several times, he says not to worry unless it gets severe/she breaks skin. She doesn’t, it just gets slimy and attributed to it drying out.

I’ve read a lot of threads where kitties chew on their tails for several reasons, but I haven’t seen one specific to after eating…has anyone heard of this? Any suggestions as to what it may be or things to try?

Food info:
- Instinct raw chicken (50%)
- Instinct chicken kibble (50%)
- She has been VERY sensitive to food changes in the past. Recently I tried to integrate some raw rabbit instinct into her diet and she threw it up even with the slightest addition. My vet knows this and with Sprout’s good blood work, healthy weight, suggests I avoid food changes unless there’s reason to believe she is reacting to the food itself and it isn’t just a behavioral thing. I wonder if her seeming uncomfortable is a good enough reason to try again?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought that it eating might over stimulate her senses. Have you tried a slow feeder bowl ? You can put wet, raw or dry in most of them as long as you can clean them well after each meal. It might be worth a shot. My thought is she can’t scarf it down, it might make her take longer to eat and maybe enjoy more and break the pattern.
29ebc46d54b2bd6c850e3aa7eade9105.jpg

Here are a few examples. @crockpot

crockpot

Lairian
Just a thought that it eating might over stimulate her senses. Have you tried a slow feeder bowl ? You can put wet, raw or dry in most of them as long as you can clean them well after each meal. It might be worth a shot. My thought is she can’t scarf it down, it might make her take longer to eat and maybe enjoy more and break the pattern.
29ebc46d54b2bd6c850e3aa7eade9105.jpg

Here are a few examples. @crockpot
Thank you for this suggestion! D’oh, should’ve mentioned, I have a slow feeder I’ve used with her in the past, a cat-sized green one. I am not currently using it just because I space her meals out over 1-2hrs depending on if it’s morning or evening, but worth a shot doing both at the same time and seeing if there is any difference.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Great…might even experiment with a different style if it doesn’t work well with the one you have. So many varieties of bowls it’s crazy.

Back