Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Cleopatra Had an Apparent Seizure

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cleo is almost 7 years old, and has been really healthy over the years, except for the epic yarn adventure. So this evening, she and Marcus were playing with Bob, and Cleo was chasing Marcus, catching him and biting him, just to hear him yell. She stopped and sat down nearby, and suddenly she cocked her head like she was listening to something and froze in place. I noticed something was wrong, and Bob went over. When he picked her up, she just kind of collapsed, but her head was still cocked sideways and her front foot was outstretched stiffly. He put her down and she couldn't walk. By now, I was yelling to get her to the car, Bob was trying to put his shoes on, and Cleo was still pretty unresponsive.

Anyway, we got into the car, and by then, Cleo was coming out of it, and by the time we got to the vet, she was about normal. The vet examined her, took her blood pressure (they use a tiny cuff on the tail, and took it 6 times, much to Cleo's disgust) and finally took a blood sample. He thinks she had a seizure, and that she is basically healthy. We will get the blood tests back on Friday, and then decide what else will be done.

In the meantime, we watch her. She came home wanting to eat everything. Marcus is treating her like an alien. What a night!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I hope it was just a fluke. I know when Jouët had her first incident it totally freaked me out. The stiffness sounds similar to Jouet’s seizures, except she can walk but she is distorted during them. I will looking for your update on the blood work results. Positive vibes that it was a one and done. Lair Prayers are sent.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh yikes so sorry Cleo had a seizure. That must have been so scary for you all. Hope this was a one time issue. Cuddles for Cleo and hugs for you

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So an update. First, thank you to Patti @Catzzzmeow, @Toa and Ross (sorry, but I can't remember how to spell your name!(n)), and @Annejo12 for your support. Patti, I thought of you and Jouet when it happened, because at first we weren't too sure it was a seizure. We had a beloved furry cat, BJ, that first had seizures that were way different than what happened last night, and then she had a major stroke. Her stroke looked similar, but not exactly like what Cleo was doing last night. But Cleo came completely out of it within 10 minutes, while BJ was really debilitated permanently. I remembered Patti's description of Jouet's symptoms, and Cleo's were very similar.

So Cleo spent a pretty uneventful night, sleeping on my lap while I knitted and we watched tv, and sleeping with us as usual. About 4 AM she vomited a bit of bile, which scared both of us. This isn't terribly unusual; she sometimes does it when her tummy is really empty and she's really hungry. That is her usual breakfast time, but I made them wait about an hour to be sure her tummy settled down before eating. She ate all of her breakfast and half of Marcus' breakfast (and I wonder why she isn't losing weight as fast as we want), then got back in my lap for another snooze fest. Now she's in her favorite bed in my sewing room, sunning and sleeping. So far everything is back to normal.
We will let the vet know about the vomiting episode, but there are no signs of any other symptoms.

On the good side, she has lost about 1 lb 13 oz, and weighs about 12.5 lbs. We want her to lose at least another pound, but her weight is looking really good.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So far, so good. Uneventful day today. Right now, they both are racing around killing each other while we are trying to go to bed. I am still worried and watchful, but heartened by your support and her normalcy. And I started my weekend yesterday and it goes through Monday, so I have lots of time to watch her over the next few days.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear everything seems to be fine. No doubt you are thrilled to be home the next couple of days just to watch her. Kudos for the weight loss...go Cleo!!!! Hoping blood work looks good today. The frustrating thing with seizures is you usually just don’t know what is causing them. Our vet said true epilepsy usually starts when they are young.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks everybody! The vet called and the blood work is normal, whew! And Cleo is so far normal. Patti @Catzzzmeow, our vet agrees with yours, but he did say that epilepsy can also strike at older ages. Anyway, she is her bratty normal self so far, so I am much happier.
Thanks again for all your support.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just read this thread and I have to say thank you for sharing such a traumatic thing. I'm such a nervous Nellie when it comes to my cats and I'm trying to arm myself with all the knowledge I can for the future, just in case. It's so good to hear it all turned out OK for you and Cleo, hugs to you both! (y):cat::):happy:

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Update .Cleo has been fine since that evening .Right now, Bob and I are out of our state, buying a house, then in June we will be moving .Both cats are having a blast with all the packing, boxes, and new spaces to explore .As we make shelves and closets bare, they have to explore every inch. They are being cared for by their hooman brother, Adam, while we're gone . Cleo is yelling at him constantly, and Marcus is concentrating on licking all Adam's skin off.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy to read Cleo is doing fine! Good luck with buying the house and with moving.
Getting your skin licked off while being yelled at you...what a lucky boy Adam is:)

Back