Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Coconut oil?

Do you use coconut oil on your Sphynx!

• yes

Votes: 151 46.2%
  • no

Votes: 83 25.4%
  • I'm considering trying it (please comment)

Votes: 85 26.0%
  • I pay between $0-$5 dollars

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • I pay $5 dollars or more

Votes: 57 17.4%
  • I use it once a week

Votes: 66 20.2%
  • I use it once a month

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I use the "thick and pasty" coconut oil

Votes: 56 17.1%
  • I use the "oily" coconut oil

Votes: 28 8.6%

• Total voters

anuty6

Lairian
I never used it, actually using
i vote as wanting to use it.... i'm actually planning to order some tonight but wanted to get some opinions from people...
what brand do you use?
if you buy off the internet, what website?
is there a particular type of buy?
I have 2 naughty bath kitties, i have to hold their scruff VERY tight (which my fiancee or step daughter bathe the kitty), is the oil going to make it too oily to hold onto him?
I think you can find it on ebay, amazon.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there , I purchased the coconut pure natural oil when I was getting ready for Cleo to come home , but I haven’t used it as of yet , as she is producing enough oil herself and she doesn’t have any dry patches so when we need it I already have it plus we cook some items in coconut oil
Hugs
Anita & Cleo xxx

Luzard

Lairian
I use extra virgin coconut oil that also melts when it is a bit warm out. I be sure to keep it in a cool place though so its easier to deal with. Ill rub it on her before a bath or when I feel like she needs some. Overall Sueda has pretty good skin though so I don't have to do too much maintenance. I normally give it to her as a treat too especially after I rub it on her! She loves eating it! In fact she perks up even from the sound of me opening the jar. Ill give her about a tablespoon every other day or everyday depending on whether I remember or not. Also after I rub it on her she tries and licks it off too. So you can say that Sueda and I are a big fan of coconut oil!

acook3593

Lairian
I have been using the thick coconut oil recently but just a little on a q-tip for Millie's poor hiney. I didnt know you could apply it everywhere. So you just put a little in their bath water? Does it make them leave grease stains where they sit? I'm intrigued.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Not sure you could get a good rinse if used in bath water

Many members use wee bit of d'grease shampoo during baths - it needs to be rinsed extremely well

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I bathed Rankle yesterday and he's sticky already today so he got a festie-wash (baby wipe wash). I have noticed that the skin in his wrinkles is pink whereas the outer wrinkle parts are grey. I'm assuming that the grey is dirt? I tried washing a bit harder with the shampoo but nothing else came off. I'm considering using some coconut oil on him to see if it removes anything extra. Do any of you think it would help?

We're taking the introduction to grooming as slowly as we can as his previous home clearly didn't bother to clean him as often as they ought. You could grow potatoes in his ears they're that dirty and his claws are shocking but he won't let me near them. At least he lets me bathe him!

Luna112

Lairian
I know this thread is old, but I’m getting my first baby in a couple weeks an I have been thinking of getting a jar of it to have if needed. I add it to my dog’s food. Would you add it to the food or apply it topically only?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luna112 Personally I don’t apply coconut oil topically .. two members recently posted allergic skin reactions to coconut oil .. I am too nervous about risking skin issues .
I do give the virgin coconut oil to my dog too
Some members use 100% pure argan oil .. I bought some, and tried on my skin but was afraid it would be too greasy...

@Bailey21 and @NinaGato amd other members as well have experience with oils hopeful they can chime in and share .

For my 4 I found keeping it simple with hylyt shampoo (soap free hypo allergenic ) and exfoliating gloves works well ... hylyt has a cream rinse as well

@Monica can hopefully chime in about Zymox leave on conditioner .

So excited for you ... your avatar pic is sooo cute !

Luna112

Lairian
@Luna112 Personally I don’t apply coconut oil topically .. two members recently posted allergic skin reactions to coconut oil .. I am too nervous about risking skin issues .
I do give the virgin coconut oil to my dog too
Some members use 100% pure argan oil .. I bought some, and tried on my skin but was afraid it would be too greasy...

@Bailey21 and @NinaGato amd other members as well have experience with oils hopeful they can chime in and share .

For my 4 I found keeping it simple with hylyt shampoo (soap free hypo allergenic ) and exfoliating gloves works well ... hylyt has a cream rinse as well

@Monica can hopefully chime in about Zymox leave on conditioner .

So excited for you ... your avatar pic is sooo cute !

Thank you for your suggestions!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Luna112 I do not find coconut oil to be an essential item for sphynx care. I always have 100% pure virgin coconut oil on hand in my pantry for cooking & hair masks. I tried it a few times on my male sphynx, Kenzo, but I didn't find it added anything of value to his skin care routine, other than a greasy mess. I tried it once more when I got my female, Minka, & she ended up having a pretty bad topical reaction, so no coconut oil for them!

My current Spa Day regimen is Hylyt wash followed by Zymox Enzymatic Conditioning Rinse (leave on) every 6-12 weeks (as needed). Weekly, they get nails & ears done with witch hazel, precision qtips & plant-based baby wipes. Biweekly, I do a wipe down with the same Zymox Rinse & a baby wipe. I've also opted to use Vetrycin Eye Wash drops in their eyes about once a week. It's completely unnecessary, but I'm extra & the bottle says it's for daily use, lol.

Anyway, the Zymox does what the coconut oil was unable to deliver. It leaves their skin super soft & moisturized & smells nice. I'm finding that they don't need baths but every 2.5-3 months now, since I added the Zymox to their skin care. Every sphynx is different though. I know some people bathe their's every week, some every month, and other less often than I do! I'd suggest just paying attention to their underbelly & go with your gut!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica thank you very much for sharing your detailed spa day routine !
Interestingly , I use a same routine amd can go just as long too between full spa days with my crew!
Thanks against for the Zymox info! Just got it delivered !

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know this thread is old, but I’m getting my first baby in a couple weeks an I have been thinking of getting a jar of it to have if needed. I add it to my dog’s food. Would you add it to the food or apply it topically only?
Hello! I used organic coconut oil on my kitten just before his baths to help loosen dirt and oil and give him back some moisture. He enjoyed his little pre-bath rubdowns too.

Ambi

Lairian
Please excuse my ignorance but should I be oiling my cat? I use Johnson's baby bath and a soft sponge during bath time.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Ambi , glad you are asking questions. always recommend your own post so all can see and chime in. I switched shampoos from J&J since it has a different ph. I have 4 nakids and I never need to oil them, using a pet shampoo. (hytlyt) .

we have members in your area if you start your own post can share info on products

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Always good to ask questions, you're not ignorant at all!
You don't need to use oil but it's posskble if you want. I use coconut oil (only a little cause oil attracks dirt) sometimes to clean my crew. Specially the dirt on their nose comes off more easily with a bit of coconut oil

Ambi

Lairian
@Ambi , glad you are asking questions. always recommend your own post so all can see and chime in. I switched shampoos from J&J since it has a different ph. I have 4 nakids and I never need to oil them, using a pet shampoo. (hytlyt) .

we have members in your area if you start your own post can share info on products
Thank you very much, incredibly helpful ( :

Sheldon13

Staff member
I only be ever used it in the Winter months. There’s really no need unless there is a NEED. You know what I mean?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh and most people seem to prefer Argan oil as it absorbs readily, whereas coconut tends to just sit on top of the skin. I actually use olive oil because I’m allergic to Argan (it’s a tree nut). Olive oil works great for me and it’s more readily available.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back