Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Common dangers to Sphynx cats

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
• Mothballs
• potpourri oils
• coffee grounds
• homemade play dough
• fabric softener sheets
• dishwashing detergent
• batteries
• cigarettes
• alcoholic drinks
• Pennies
• hand and foot warmers
• Prescription meds
• Aspirin
• Azalea
• Oleander
• sago palm
• yew plant material by your pet can be fata
• Easter lily
• day lily
• tiger lily
• Lysol (Any cleaner with phenols in them, do not let cat on them until dry)
• Avocado
• Chocolate (all forms)
• Fatty foods
• Macadamia nuts
• Moldy or spoiled foods
• Onions, onion powder
• Raisins and grapes
• Salt
• Yeast dough
• Garlic
• Products sweetened with xylitol

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Common Dangers To Your Cat

Thanks for the list, some of the things you would never think could harm our kitty's. Can i just add one more, rubber bands. I used to use them to play fetch and my cats love them but one day I found a rubber band it my males mouth, he could have choked or worse if I was not there. We now use balls and other toys no more rubber bands!

PitRottMommy

Banned

I'm sure very few have heard of Xylitol, so I'm going to add a few things about it. It's a non-absorbable sugar that is used in many gums and toothpastes. I've already trained my guy to look through gum packages and toothpaste to make sure he's not buying anything with xylitol in it.

It is imperative that your pet (cat and dog) be promptly taken to the vet if you suspect they've come in contact with xylitol. It causes a very quick drop in glucose which can result in death within minutes. 1/2 stick of gum can kill a cat and 2 sticks of gum can kill a small breed dog. An entire package of gum can kill a 200 pound large breed canine.

Buyer beware.

ETA: Any pain medication indicated for humans can severely harm the liver and kidneys of a cat. If you suspect any human medication consumption, even an antibiotic, by a cat--they need to see a vet promptly. If vomiting can be initiated, it needs to be done within 30 minutes of consumption, in most cases.

ETA2: With the holidays approaching, watch out for tinsel on the tree and fake grass in easter baskets. Intestinal and esophageal lacerations are the risk.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I'm puzzled about the coffee-- I know theobromide(?) is particulary toxic to cats, but coffee doesn't contain any (that I'm aware of).

not trying to pick nits, just doing research 'cause I will be getting a sphynx kittyearly 2010

caffiene ld50 150 mg/kg for dogs, cats, and people reference

PitRottMommy

Banned

I'm puzzled about the coffee-- I know theobromide(?) is particulary toxic to cats, but coffee doesn't contain any (that I'm aware of).

not trying to pick nits, just doing research 'cause I will be getting a sphynx kittyearly 2010

caffiene ld50 150 mg/kg for dogs, cats, and people reference

It's the caffeine. Coffee itself isn't bad...but coffee grounds themselves (as well as beans) are almost a straight dose of caffeine. If high enough, it can cause the animal version of a heart attack. Steering clear of everything in this category is wise, because every pet's requirements for toxicity are different.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Everyone needs to be careful with the christmas tree and decorations also.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

Yes M2M we sure do! After out turkey bone saga last year I went out and bought A fake tree:Struggle::Frown::Sad::Hysterical: I don't belive in fake trees but anything to keep our babies safe!

Back