Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

crusty butt

sadie700

Lairian
How do you keep their butt clean? Everyday I have to bathe Jinxy because her butt is so gross, but it's dried up on her and very difficult to get off. I clean her so often, she's getting raw on her butt. I tried using coconut oil - it isn't helping much. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I use baby wipes for the crusty but thing! Only happens sometimes not very often now, it was alot when ours where small.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mo's butt got very sore indeed when he was struggling with his diarrhea couple of weeks ago! He was red raw poor little man. The vet gave me some cream which was really good if Jinxy is red and sore? He did lick it off but it stayed on for a bit and definately helped healing the sore areas, you could maybe ask the vet? I normally just use warm wet tisse just after hes been though! His little butt is much better now. He has a bath once or twice a week and I clean his butt with a small baby sponge because it's softer!

pinupcats

Lairian
How do you keep their butt clean? Everyday I have to bathe Jinxy because her butt is so gross, but it's dried up on her and very difficult to get off. I clean her so often, she's getting raw on her butt. I tried using coconut oil - it isn't helping much. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

I sometimes use a little bit of baby oil which seems to help not only sooth the butt area, but get the brown stuff off too. You may be washing it too much and that's causing further irritation.

If it's dirty from using the potty, use a moist babywipe to wash it off and then apply a little lotion to help restore the ph balance of the skin.

Good luck!
Cyndee

PitRottMommy

Banned

Is Jinxy having soft stool or just not keeping herself clean? If she's having irregularly soft stool--it'd be wise to address.

We sell a product at our clinic call Banana Peel Cream. Great for sore bums and wont cause problems if its ingested.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maggies little butt was real stinky & dirty! But as she got older she started to clean her self so know it's alot better.

marilyn

Lairian

what works really well is if you take chicken breast and steam it till its cooked and then put a few teaspoons of metamucile fiber into it, and mix it around in the bag it helps their stool become firm enough where its not soft to become messy on the butt. Cats should have fiber in their diet once a day. my moms cat had issues and then she did the fiber thing and his butt is never dirty. When he does his bussiness it doesent stink as much to. Hope this helps. marilyn

LLevenson

Lairian
I fortunately haven't had to deal with "crusty butt" with Arias but I know someone who puts a little coconut oil on their bottom. The oil softens up the "crusties" and then your little girl can clean it off easily herself. Coconut oil is anti-microbial/bacterial/viral and all around very nutritious and healthy! Its a good source of Omegas. Whenever I eat coconut, Arias is practically in my mouth trying to get some...he loves it!
good luck!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I put coconut oil of Nofuratu's butt as well. He hates to get his butt wiped with baby wipes, so If I have coconut oil on hand I apply it and then wait 15 mins and then bathe him or use a baby wipe and it comes clean much easier with no rubbing and less yowling!
You can get it at the health food store, or we buy it at the grocery store. You can even get it online.
I scoop small amounts into travel size tupperware containers so the original jar stays uncontaminated in my cubboard, and when we go out with Nofuratu we just slip the little "lip balm sized" container into his travel bag with his q tips and business cards....and snacks...and travel wipes....

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I found some coconut oil at GNC, a health food store here.
Freya has bad chronic crusty butt, and hates having it scrubbed. I put some oil on it in her bath today and it came right clean! instantly! and she didn't fuss a bit. YAY.

I did contaminate my jar though, and I made a mess! My crestie has greasy hair now, lol, she's gonna need another bath. I am not naturally graceful. That's a great tip about the travel jars, Nofuratu, I am gonna do that next time!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I did contaminate my jar though, and I made a mess!

Nofur had a great idea. Incase you don't have any of those little containers, what i did was but the oil in a old "Bug Juice" squirty bottle that has a pop up lid on it so I just give her a squirt right before bathtime. Her oil stays pretty warm cuz I keep it under the light by the sink. :BigSmile:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofur had a great idea. Incase you don't have any of those little containers, what i did was but the oil in a old "Bug Juice" squirty bottle that has a pop up lid on it so I just give her a squirt right before bathtime. Her oil stays pretty warm cuz I keep it under the light by the sink. :BigSmile:

I throw away tons of those bottles! Great idea, thanks! sounds easier than scooping it out too!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I throw away tons of those bottles! Great idea, thanks! sounds easier than scooping it out too!

Yea, mine melted when the weather turned and it just wasnt easy to try and pour a small amount in my hand so I found that bottle and cleaned it real good and its worked great ever since!:ThumbsUp: So now I just keep it under the "over the sink" light in the kitchen and it keeps it warm enough to not turn solid,,and if its chilly in the house and it turns solid I just put it in her warm bath water for a few minutes to melt enough to squirt out and its good to go.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i would also suggest baby wipes.
i have bad allergies so i ALWAYS have lotion kleenex around the house. sometimes i'll lick the tissue (to get it a little wet) then wipe their butts. it's a quick technique that doesn't seem to bother them much.. and with the lotion it's a little softer. (ok, totally odd, I KNOW lol)
Maybe try baby/infant wash clothes with warm water too.
Also, bathing everyday will also provoke dry skin, so that probably isn't helping baby's sore tush... :(

Back