Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Curiosity question about showing

RandE

Lairian
Since I started looking into purchasing a sphynx from a good breeder I've been interested in possibly showing a bit around my area.

My girl came from a show home and appears to me to be a good example of breed standard except for her head tilt. It's tilted due to an ear infection and not a flaw in her conformation. My question is- would the tilt disqualify her from showing? Or severely penelize her for it?

I'm just curious. If it makes her unshowable- then so be it. I'm fine with that too. It was just an idea I had in my head since she is eligible with 3 different associations. (TICA, CFA, ACFA)

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think it may be a problem in the Champion or Premier divisions, but may be okay for the Household Pet division. We were told our one-eyed baby could be shown and she wouldn't be disqualified because of an eye missing. I think in that division it is depending more on overall condition like does the cat appear healthy.

RandE

Lairian
Thanks! I was wondering about actually showing her in her breed class though. That's ok with me if she can't be. I knew about household pet division but I think she would've done well in the Premier division prior to her head tilt. She has sisters that have done really well and to my untrained eye when I looked over the sphynx breed standard she seems to fit to a T. Her sisters were ACFA double champions and one of her brothers is a quad champion.

Cattitude

Lairian
Thanks! I was wondering about actually showing her in her breed class though. That's ok with me if she can't be. I knew about household pet division but I think she would've done well in the Premier division prior to her head tilt. She has sisters that have done really well and to my untrained eye when I looked over the sphynx breed standard she seems to fit to a T. Her sisters were ACFA double champions and one of her brothers is a quad champion.

I suggest you ask your breeder or another experienced Sphynx breeder to take a look at your cat and tell you if she's show quality for Premier division or not. Usually a breeder who shows has a good eye for who's a pet and who can be shown. There are a lot of variables that can make or break a show cat. Sometimes a "pet" kitten can grow up to be an outstanding show cat.

Years ago I had a Siamese queen who I bought as a pet. When I first bought her I thought she could never be shown because she was very dark-coloured for a chocolate point. She almost looked like a seal point. However, her breeder recommended we show her anyway, and sure enough, the judges loved the dark colour that I thought would disqualify her, and she received many "best of colour" ribbons and championed in one show. We ended up breeding her to the breeder's top male, and two of her kittens became grand champions as well. Without my breeder's expert opinion I'd have had her spayed and she'd never have gone near the show ring!

Back