Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dawn vs. Kitty Shampoo vs. Baby Shampoo

KyasMommy

Lairian
I have noticed that most of you use baby shampoo or Dawn to bathe your Sphynx kitties. I was wondering why most don't use kitty shampoo? I know that Kitty shampoo is formulated for cats with hair, but I worry because Dawn isn't even formulated for use by humans for bathing and baby shampoo isn't formulated for animals. I am so confused! I am obviously missing something because almost everyone uses Dawn or baby shampoo.
When will the Sphynx Lair come out with their shampoo? That seems like it will solve all of my problems...lol

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I use an oatmeal and aloe pet shampoo with Gleek, but when I had my first boys there weren't a lot of options for cats so I used baby shampoo then switched to a gentler baby wash once that became available.

I think Sphynx Suds is due to come out soon. Admin and ilovemysphynx will be able to give a better answer.

JacksMom

Banned
I, too, notice a lot of people use dawn, which surprised me, too, but I guess it works just fine. I think I remember that people reverted to Dawn for some kitties with more oily skin...that Dawn helped control that but yet did not dry the skin out either. I was told by my breeder she preferred to not to use shampoo on her cats because that is formulated for hair, not skin, but instead to use gentle body wash...like you would use on a babies skin. Jack, like his parents, is not overly oily at all, so I personally use Aveeno Baby Wash with oatmeal (hypoallergenic/fragrance free) and the oatmeal in general is supposed to be really good for skin. It works great with Jack! I love it, but if you have an oily cat...maybe that's where Dawn would come in better.

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
I use my shampoo and/or soap on Teeka. I don't know if any of you have stores call LUSH near you ... they are a handmade bath/body store that sell wonderful, natural products for skin and hair.

I've found several products that work well on Teeka. She is extra oily in the summer so I used a natural, lemon-scented body soap ("Bohemian" I believe it's called) that got the oil off with fairly minimal fuss. In the winter, when it's dryer and her natural oil production is down, I use a solid shampoo bar called "Godiva" on her.

Lots of their soaps/massage bars are Coca butter based too ... I'm looking for a lightly scented massage bar to try on her to see if it help lift off the stubborn grease spots.

Best of all ... the scent on LUSH products is AMAZING ... right now she smell like jasmine flowers and a hint of vanilla. Teeka IS a little diva ... :D

lawgrl

Lairian
I learned the hard way that Dawn can be a bad, bad idea...it's very drying and harsh (it cuts grease on dishes after all), which can lead to an over production of oil on the cat's skin (making it even dirtier than before the bath). But mine are very hairless and not especially oily, so it was way too harsh for their skin.

I've also been told by several other sphynx owners that baby shampoo is really harsh on kitty skin. Baby wash is supposed to be good/more gentle, though.

After my initial (*~ahem~*) over-zealousness in the bath-time cleanliness department, shall we say, I now only use oatmeal and aloe wash on them (I also use coconut oil for the extra dirty parts, lol). I'm going to try to the Sphynx Suds when they come out.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use water. That's about all I can use. If I try to put soap on Butterball he's like a greased little piggy.

Seriously though, I've tried regular bar soap (unscented and no added extras) and Dawn and baby shampoo. Baby shampoo definitely worked the best and left no skin issues. I'm also worried about his eyes. If they were my eyes I'd definitely prefer baby shampoo so I'm sticking with that one. I've never tried cat shampoo but it might be worth checking out.

Until of course we get Sphynx Suds! Well that might have to wait for me to get a job.

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use baby shampoo. It worked really well with my little pink piggy. He smelled like a little baby afterwards it was so cute :)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Speaking of Sphynx Suds and accidents with it getting into the eyes....Is Sphynx Suds a tearless shampoo so it wont hurt our kitties eye balls just incase they freak out and we get it in their eyes??

SoBe was getting her bath night before last and went Spazoid on Jimmy (I had to make him bathe her! lol) and the soapy water accidentally went into her eyes,,she blinked it right out and seemed fine but wondering how this works with Sphynx Suds....thanks!!

Lauren

Lairian
I originally bathed Kenny with cat shampoo. I switched to baby wash after realizing that many people on this forum used it. I really like the baby wash better. I feel like it works better, smells better, and is cheaper, too!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of Sphynx Suds and accidents with it getting into the eyes....Is Sphynx Suds a tearless shampoo so it wont hurt our kitties eye balls just incase they freak out and we get it in their eyes??

SoBe was getting her bath night before last and went Spazoid on Jimmy (I had to make him bathe her! lol) and the soapy water accidentally went into her eyes,,she blinked it right out and seemed fine but wondering how this works with Sphynx Suds....thanks!!

It is not tearless because of what makes a shampoo tearless is chemicals (who would have thought) sphynx suds is all natural and made without any chemicals so if it does get in the eyes and you find that it is burning a quick rinse with milk or water will take care of it quickly.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
It is not tearless because of what makes a shampoo tearless is chemicals (who would have thought) sphynx suds is all natural and made without any chemicals so if it does get in the eyes and you find that it is burning a quick rinse with milk or water will take care of it quickly.

Thanks for the heads up!! I'm so excited for it to come out...I see bottles of it in SoBe and Snuffie's xmas stockings already!!:ThumbsUp:

rlewis899

Lairian
I've been using baby shampoo and it seems to be working. That said my babies get a lot of handling from me and the grandkids so that will always make them dirty. No way I can put Dawn on them, just doesn't make sense to me.

Franksmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use J&J oatmeal vanilla baby wash, it cleans them great and they stay clean longer and never get greasy or smelly. I bathe them ever 10 days. Works for me

deliasphynx

Lairian
I use my shampoo and/or soap on Teeka. I don't know if any of you have stores call LUSH near you ... they are a handmade bath/body store that sell wonderful, natural products for skin and hair.

I've found several products that work well on Teeka. She is extra oily in the summer so I used a natural, lemon-scented body soap ("Bohemian" I believe it's called) that got the oil off with fairly minimal fuss. In the winter, when it's dryer and her natural oil production is down, I use a solid shampoo bar called "Godiva" on her.

Lots of their soaps/massage bars are Coca butter based too ... I'm looking for a lightly scented massage bar to try on her to see if it help lift off the stubborn grease spots.

Best of all ... the scent on LUSH products is AMAZING ... right now she smell like jasmine flowers and a hint of vanilla. Teeka IS a little diva ... :D
Hey! I’m wondering if by using lush for your girl if she gets dirty more quickly?

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Back