Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

KillerBs

Lairian
Hi friends!

My name is Alexis and I just wanted to share my baby's story and hopefully share some insight.
We are a family of sphynx, my parents have 2, my cousin has 1 and i have one big ole ham Benji

on 2/10/21 my 4.5 year old Benji was going in for a scheduled teeth cleaning ear cleaning. He is the worlds most dramatic naked when it comes to ear cleaning haha. Benji has a pretty clean bill of health so there was no major concern going into it aside from typical owner nerves of him being put under. His procedure was at noon and around 3 pm his vet called and told me that he was doing okay and the he was still a bit groggy waking up from the anesthesia and that I could pick him up around 6 pm. She did inform me that during the procedure his blood pressure had dropped very low a few times so the changed the anesthetic that was being used to another one and that after that was done it was smooth sailing. 6 pm rolls around I pick him up we come home and I can just tell he is off, purring and meowing very loudly extremely wobbly and he couldn't jump not even on the couch. I blamed it on the fact that he was still sobering up from the sedation. In the middle of the night I woke up to a blood curdling meow, I wake up in a panic and he's just chillin in the doorway looking at me. Thursday I call the vet's office and tell them that he's still acting like a little drunk and not wanting to eat DRY food, they said it could be that his teeth were a bit sensitive and that his belly could still be a little upset. It's now friday and Benji is still not wanting to eat his dry food, he is not jumping on anything and when he does attempt to it's more like a bunny hope that an actual cat jump. Maybe none of this sounds out of the ordinary for them but what made me really think something was going on was the fact that he wasn't jumping, he was hesitant to approach things and he was totally ignoring me! Friday evening i call the vet again and they tell me to email telling them what is going on with Ben and to send a video, in the email I stated my concerns I also mentioned that I felt that he literally couldn't hear a single thing. In a matter of minutes I get a call from his doctor and she asks me to bring him in, in the email i had attached a video of him sitting on the floor while my mom dropped something behind him and Benji didn't flinch or move an ear! I took him in and they looked inside of his ears to make sure there was no fluid then they do their version of a hearing test. Dr comes out and tells me that she's thinks that Benji can not hear , that's right that my baby can not hear anything! She said that she had never heard of a cat or dog loosing their hearing after an anesthetic procedure but that she spoke to the other vets and that even though this was an extremely rare occurrence it was still a possibility. She said that she didn't know if it was permanent or if it would come back that there was just not enough information or cases of this happening...

I found an article from Louisiana State Univ where is states that in 7 years 62 (+5 additional survey respondents) cases were reported of cats and dogs loosing their hearing after anesthesia and only 2 regained their hearing back. The difficult thing with this situation is that this is so uncommon and rare that vets dont know about this even being a potential risk! I do want to say this, I really dont want this to prevent any parents from taking their babies to get their teeth cleaned because it is important and could prevent so many other issues! I share this so that we know what could happen and that you ask your vet about it and become informed.

My baby boy is now deaf. I hate to make it sound so dramatic but that is his current state as of right now. I am devastated and feel extremely guilty for taking him to get his teeth cleaned in the first place. My heart hurts at the thought that he won't be able to hear me, but maybe if you ask him he'll say he's thankful he doesnt have to hear his mom sing anymore It's been 4 days and i am doing as much research for him and for me to make his new "normal" a bit easier. I dont think he'll struggle to adjust as much as i will. If any of you have any advice or tips regarding deaf pets I welcome them with open arms. Thank you for reading, I hope that this will help someone out there.

xx Benji and Alexis

Attachments

• 8A9CEE8C-C3E6-45A0-BA2E-3D9A2C091532.jpeg
    8A9CEE8C-C3E6-45A0-BA2E-3D9A2C091532.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 44E60FCC-6D6F-442C-AFA3-B993A82FFD7D.jpeg
    44E60FCC-6D6F-442C-AFA3-B993A82FFD7D.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 25
  • E9497A5A-1D7F-40CA-88EF-B1B16D7DC9AD.jpeg
    E9497A5A-1D7F-40CA-88EF-B1B16D7DC9AD.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 24

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am sorry to hear that wouldn’t the vet be negligent and need to pay you damages for doing that to your cat? Did they get you to sign any paperwork saying this could happen from anaesthetic? I’m sorry this happened I suppose what you were doing by researching to see how to adopt helping communicate now with hands and face smile and gestures.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry to hear this has happened to Benji. Most cats are very resilient and adapt to new situations easily. It will probably be more difficult for you to adapt to this than him. You'll need to train both of you to give and receive visual cues rather than audible ones and a regular routine will probably help him out. I had a Siamese cat that went completely blind (I know that's not the same as deaf but still loss of a major sense) and he lived a long and happy life after losing his sight. We used to leave the upstairs bathroom window open for our ginger Tom to come and go as he pleased (funny shaped roof - he wasn't leaping 2 floors!) and one day a delivery driver asked if that was our cat outside. I looked out and 15 year old blind Horus had managed to navigate leaping onto a 5ft high window sill and get safely down into the front garden so he could sunbathe. We couldn't believe it! I hope Benji's hearing returns, but if it doesn't it might be worth researching white cats as most of them are born deaf, so there may be some valuable information that could help you both out.

Whatever happens, don't beat yourself up over this. You were being the best cat parent and getting him the care he needed. This is unfortunate but not insurmountable.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
He is one handsome boy. We have had a few members with deaf cats. They have shared that their cats can sense vibration, so rather than calling for their cat some would stomp on the floor etc. I am so sorry this happened to your boy. Is he getting around better now, jumping etc?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@KillerBs , oh my heart. hugs and positive vibes for your baby.

did they do a deep ear cleaning too? have they checked the eardrum? I know another mentioned an issue in the past with the earcleaning when they went too deep? or a certain medication into the ears.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So sorry this happened to your boy. Can imagine it's a shock for you this happened. He's lucky he has you as his family, already doing research how you can help him adjust as good as possible.
What a handsome boy he is btw

Uksphynxmum

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm wondering the same as yoda mom. Did they clean his ears whilst he was out of it and cause damage. I know when both my babies went in to be desexed they cleaned their ears just cos they was asleep. More likely to cause issue I would think. But to come home deaf that's really shocking, I feel for you and your baby. You need more answers x

Genferguso

Lairian
I am so sorry about Benji, he is so handsome. We have had a deaf dog previously(know it’s not a Sphinx but still), he was the sweetest animal ever. He was as others have mentioned very good with vibrations and we made sure not to come up from behind and scare him. One of our last cats (again not a Sphynx sry!) actually started to go paralyzed a few months after we adopted him (as a kitten too) We took him to the vet they had no idea why, he went to the emergency vet multiple times, we live in upstate NY so he even went to go see a veterinary neurologist from Cornell. We never got a diagnosis but after a few months he started to get better slowly (after my sister slept on the floor with him every night). He lived a long happy life and even at his worst health we gave him all the love and medical help we could. Miracles do happen and we are all rooting for Benji on here!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow - I'm very sorry about Benji but thank you for sharing this story so everyone else is aware

I knew someone whose dog died from a teeth cleaning so I have always been reluctant. The vets are always saying that all of my kiddos' teeth are bad, but after reading your story I'm glad I didn't listen to them.

Needless to say, your vet should refund your money for the teeth cleaning. Don't feel bad about asking.

I would try to contact an animal hospital and see if there's someone there that has experience with hearing loss. I have heard of deaf animals before and their human parents find ways to compensate, so you need to find someone knowledgeable to help you compensate. The vets in animal hospitals see all the unusual stuff so that is why I would go there. Anyway don't just give up .....that's my 2 cents. Hang in there and give Benji much love so he knows he's going to be fine regardless.

KillerBs

Lairian
I am sorry to hear that wouldn’t the vet be negligent and need to pay you damages for doing that to your cat? Did they get you to sign any paperwork saying this could happen from anaesthetic? I’m sorry this happened I suppose what you were doing by researching to see how to adopt helping communicate now with hands and face smile and gestures.
As much as I'd like to blame someone i really don think there was negligence on my vet's behalf, i think it was just an unfortunate event as much as it breaks my heart. From what I've read it is such a low low percentage of it happening and no real explantation on why it happens. But I do plan on having a conversation with them when i decide if I will be taking him to a neurologist or not thank you for taking the time to read Benji story. We appreciate it.
I'm sorry to hear this has happened to Benji. Most cats are very resilient and adapt to new situations easily. It will probably be more difficult for you to adapt to this than him. You'll need to train both of you to give and receive visual cues rather than audible ones and a regular routine will probably help him out. I had a Siamese cat that went completely blind (I know that's not the same as deaf but still loss of a major sense) and he lived a long and happy life after losing his sight. We used to leave the upstairs bathroom window open for our ginger Tom to come and go as he pleased (funny shaped roof - he wasn't leaping 2 floors!) and one day a delivery driver asked if that was our cat outside. I looked out and 15 year old blind Horus had managed to navigate leaping onto a 5ft high window sill and get safely down into the front garden so he could sunbathe. We couldn't believe it! I hope Benji's hearing returns, but if it doesn't it might be worth researching white cats as most of them are born deaf, so there may be some valuable information that could help you both out.

Whatever happens, don't beat yourself up over this. You were being the best cat parent and getting him the care he needed. This is unfortunate but not insurmountable.
oh man Horus' story does give me some hope especially because sight is huge for them! Especially cause he was an older boy and kept living his life. Thank you for sharing his story and taking the time to read mine. I will most definitely be looking into what causes white cats to be deaf, im sure ill be able to get some helpful info out of it. ♥️

KillerBs

Lairian
I am sorry to hear that wouldn’t the vet be negligent and need to pay you damages for doing that to your cat? Did they get you to sign any paperwork saying this could happen from anaesthetic? I’m sorry this happened I suppose what you were doing by researching to see how to adopt helping co

oh man Horus' story does give me some hope especially because sight is huge for them! Especially cause he was an older boy and kept living his life. Thank you for sharing his story and taking the time to read mine. I will most definitely be looking into what causes white cats to be deaf, im sure ill be able to get some helpful info out of it. ♥️
@KillerBs , checking in on you and sweet Benji. we are here for you. hugs n head smooches
Thank you for checking in on us! He is doing better than I thought is more me trying to not get all emotional about it. He seems to be adjusting well, trying to get used to his new bunny hops and not startle him too much. big hugs back! ♥️ hopefully soon we can have a pawsitive update

KillerBs

Lairian
I am so sorry about Benji, he is so handsome. We have had a deaf dog previously(know it’s not a Sphinx but still), he was the sweetest animal ever. He was as others have mentioned very good with vibrations and we made sure not to come up from behind and scare him. One of our last cats (again not a Sphynx sry!) actually started to go paralyzed a few months after we adopted him (as a kitten too) We took him to the vet they had no idea why, he went to the emergency vet multiple times, we live in upstate NY so he even went to go see a veterinary neurologist from Cornell. We never got a diagnosis but after a few months he started to get better slowly (after my sister slept on the floor with him every night). He lived a long happy life and even at his worst health we gave him all the love and medical help we could. Miracles do happen and we are all rooting for Benji on here!
thank you for the supportive words and for sharing your story. I am doing my research to see if i can find a neurologist out here in SoCal just so i can get some answers on if it will be permanent and/or the level of deafness. All I can do is get him the care i can and the best life he can have just like your baby did.

KillerBs

Lairian
Wow - I'm very sorry about Benji but thank you for sharing this story so everyone else is aware

I knew someone whose dog died from a teeth cleaning so I have always been reluctant. The vets are always saying that all of my kiddos' teeth are bad, but after reading your story I'm glad I didn't listen to them.

Needless to say, your vet should refund your money for the teeth cleaning. Don't feel bad about asking.

I would try to contact an animal hospital and see if there's someone there that has experience with hearing loss. I have heard of deaf animals before and their human parents find ways to compensate, so you need to find someone knowledgeable to help you compensate. The vets in animal hospitals see all the unusual stuff so that is why I would go there. Anyway don't just give up .....that's my 2 cents. Hang in there and give Benji much love so he knows he's going to be fine regardless

Trust your intuition! If you can get a toothbrush in your kittens mouths that's one way to stay away from the dentist! I do hope that my story didn't scare you away from potentially getting their teeth cleaned cause it's rare that this happens .

Ive been in contact with a couple other vets to see if they have known of any cases because there has been very little cases that ive been able to come across, also hoping to find a neurologist in our area and get more answers.

Thank you for taking the time to read his story and for sharing your thoughts and advice.
by the way your babies are very cute!

KillerBs

Lairian
I'm wondering the same as yoda mom. Did they clean his ears whilst he was out of it and cause damage. I know when both my babies went in to be desexed they cleaned their ears just cos they was asleep. More likely to cause issue I would think. But to come home deaf that's really shocking, I feel for you and your baby. You need more answers x
Its hard to know if that could've contributed to this as well, but a couple days after his procedure his vet checked the inside of his ear/eardrum and there wasn't any damage. From the few info and things ive read what seems to happen is the cochlear part of the ear is what causes the deafness, during the anesthetic procedure there is lack of blood flow to that area and the cochlear dies from that. (hope that made sense)

thank you for taking the time to read Benji's story ♥️ hopefully we will have some update soon!

KillerBs

Lairian
He is one handsome boy. We have had a few members with deaf cats. They have shared that their cats can sense vibration, so rather than calling for their cat some would stomp on the floor etc. I am so sorry this happened to your boy. Is he getting around better now, jumping etc?
Thank you, i think he's a pretty handsome ham. Im trying to stomp and slam or tap etc on surfaces when im getting near him if he isn't facing me directly. It's total trial and error with him especially because he is so stubborn as well! His jumping is still the same, he isn't wanting to jump on anything higher than maybe the couch and it's more of a bunny hop than an actual leap. It's pretty cute but i want him to be able to jump everywhere he wants and chaos havoc. What he does do is in the middle of the night when he gets up when he comes back to the room he will meow at me and until i wake up and guide him up the bed, mainly by having him jump up the chest then from chest to bed. Cant baby him too much.

Thank you again for taking the time to read his story ❤️

Back