Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Diagnosed with HOCM

Crayne

Lairian
Hello,
I have posted on here before about my cat Woody I got back in December. He had been taken to the vet where they discovered a heart murmur. Today was his visit with the cardiologist where they diagnosed him with mild HOCM (HCM). He is roughly 1.5 years old. I am still a little confused about everything, also feeling like the outlook is very bleak. The cardiologist really didn’t say whether it was a bad thing or a good thing, other than stating it’s good that it was caught so early. He was prescribed a medication & going to be checked in on 3 months. I haven’t made it home yet to sit down and read the papers from the visit and truly absorb everything. I guess I feel confused? About the situation. I don’t know how to feel, what to expect, or where things go from here. Or really why im posting. I guess I don’t know how to process the news except with tears or how I should be feeling.
*pic of woody*

Attachments

• IMG_7555.jpeg
    IMG_7555.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 10

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Take a day or 2 to absorb the diagnosis. It is not a death sentence. Some cats scan positive and can live long lives and some don’t have the condition progress for years. The fact that they said you were lucky you scanned early is great…meds can help some slow down progression big time.

Your baby knows nothing but your love and that is everything. They know nothing different. As I said take a couple of days to just take some deep breaths. Don’t rob yourself of the joy of your baby.

You mentioned the next check up is in 3 months. Is it another scan or bloodwork etc? @ Crayne what did they prescribe…often it is atenolol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
And the reason you are posting here is for all the right reasons…comfort, community, knowledge, experience and love. You are in exactly the perfect place for you to be right now. Many of us have been through this process. You have done the absolutely most correct thing. Catching it early is key and now trying to just be with Woody like you never heard those words and savoring the delight of his every antic is the goal. Pat yourself on the back…you are a good and vigilant mom. He’s lucky.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Crayne , awh, hugs n head smooches team Woody. We are here for you
.deep
breathe, you got this. My toby love told heart murmur at 11 mos old, he just turned 11 yrs old runs on his cat wheel every day.
i kissed my babies on the head and told them we got this. They have no idea of the diagnosis and only know love. Kudos to you for being proactive. Sharing a positive we have members with their flwup scans with no changes. Woody's world is filled with the best of love and care, it is all he knows.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending lots of postive vibes and hugs. Take your time to feel what you feel and slowly read what the vet has said. It's a lot to process when you are in shock. Know we will be here for you.
Woody is a very handsome and cute boy. Try to take it day by day and enjoy all the love and funny moments with him

Crayne

Lairian
Thank you all. I spent a lot of time yesterday just confused. Feeling helpless & hopeless. The cardiologist told me that he’s not in any pain & blissfully unaware that anything is even wrong with him, which I know is supposed to make me feel better but it somehow makes me feel worse. I’m trying not to be negative. I still haven’t looked at the papers…going to call his vet tomorrow to see if they’d like to make copies of what I have and if maybe they are able to explain it anymore or maybe provide some comfort. Woody has been laying by my side all day…took him on a walk outdoors earlier…hoping that the dread eventually absolves

Attachments

• IMG_7849.jpeg
    IMG_7849.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 5

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just take it day by day and feel your way through it all. I think it is great you are looking to gain more knowledge/comfort by speaking to your vet. I always recommend you have a written list of questions. When people are stressed they often forget all of the things they wanted to ask.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Crayne, awh. hugs, we are here for you team Woody. great idea talking with your vet sharing the paperwork for clarity and some comfort.
melt my heart , such a sweet photo of Woody!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Many of us have been right where you are. Confusing…yes, definitely. It will take time to absorb and understand. Be gentle on yourself and take your time learning and accepting the diagnosis. Like Catzzzmeow said, many kitties live long lives with this. It’s all an individual experience, so just keep on top of the meds and note any changes in symptoms so you can discuss with your vet.

We are here for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back