Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do you let your sphynx outside?

jfrodahl

Lairian
Hello Sphynx Family,
I have two sphynx kitties. One is 5 and one is 3. The 5 year old is strongly yearning to go outside and has been for a while now. I live in an apartment in a city so I can't let him rome freely, and the few times I have taken him out on a leash so as not to lose him, he cried for days out the window wanting to go out again. I want him to have nature but I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone here have experience with this or advice?
Thank you.
Love,
Julia

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Max loves going out and makes that plain. We take him out as often as possible on a harness and leash, even if it's just to collect mail from the mail room. But only on days the weather is good. This seems to appease him.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
All of our cats are harness trained, and Marcus and Queen Cleopatra both ride in a stroller and go in the car. They both love going outside and taking walks or going on car trips. One thing you may be able to do for your cats is to bring some outside in. If you have a balcony, see if your landlord will allow you to create a catio. You enclose all or part of the balcony so the cats can't get out and put cat-safe plants in it. Without a balcony, you can still put cat-safe plants in the apartment. Put a bird feeder outside the window and a cat post next to the window.
Good luck with finding your best solutions.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Sphynx Family,
I have two sphynx kitties. One is 5 and one is 3. The 5 year old is strongly yearning to go outside and has been for a while now. I live in an apartment in a city so I can't let him rome freely, and the few times I have taken him out on a leash so as not to lose him, he cried for days out the window wanting to go out again. I want him to have nature but I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone here have experience with this or advice?
Thank you.
Love,
Julia
They can not be outside for long periods of time due to no hair, the elements like the sun can harm them if exposed too long. A leash walk is ok on a nice warm day. Also, is he neutered? If not, this can cause behavior as your describing. :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't take Izmae out. She does with us on the patio a few minutes
some. But, that's it. I guess I'm a very strict parent. I don't want her
to be anywhere other animals have been. When she goes for her
yearly Vet check, I don't let her out of the carrier, except to be checked.
I always make sure they clean and sanitized the table. I just don't want
to take chances.

Rachel Candace

Lairian
We used to live in an apartment that had a small balcony that we used to let him out on for a little bit (it was always in the shade so I was never worried about the sun on his skin) but we just moved into a house that has a huge screened in patio. I let him out for a little to see how he would do... And ever since, he stands at the sliding glass door crying for me to let him out again lol!

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Once the weather here warms up we're planning on letting our two outside with us in our backyard. We'll start on a harness/leash and see how they do. I plan on getting him a lightweight sun-shirt to protect his body from the sun. I'm outside all the time in the summer with my dragons and would hate to keep him locked up, making him watch us through the sliding glass door!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We used to live in an apartment that had a small balcony that we used to let him out on for a little bit (it was always in the shade so I was never worried about the sun on his skin) but we just moved into a house that has a huge screened in patio. I let him out for a little to see how he would do... And ever since, he stands at the sliding glass door crying for me to let him out again lol!
Marcus and Cleo spend lots of time out on our catio. Because of the solar screening, they can be outside, even with the sun on the patio. They love the heat, so about the only time they aren't allowed out there is when summer temperatures get up to 110 F or higher. At that point, they are only allowed out there for 10 minutes at a time.

Sphynxuk

Lairian
Both my boys are used to the harness. Perseus will get it out if he wants to go outside, but Odysseus will refuse to move with a harness on. He knows it's going to restrict him!
They have a bit of supervised wander round the back garden (without the harness) a few times a week if the weather is dry, only if they request it!
Perseus likes to demand to see out the front door (being held, with the door slightly ajar, as we live on a main road). He loves to have a snout about! I wouldn't take him out on the harness on the street though, as he isn't likely to walk where I want him too like a dog. We would do more 'standing' than walking!
One day I'll get a pet stroller so I can take them on the park.....

Back