Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does your sphynx like to be held?

StacyD

Lairian
My Ace loves to lay on our laps & loves to be pet, & especially loves burying himself under our throw covers on our lap. But he does not like to be picked up or held, not even held in our laps or hugged. He will tolerate it very well & never scratches, even succumbing to his fate and waiting to be released, for a short time any way. Then he starts meowing and wiggling to be set free. But he can't hate it too much, because once free he stays by us. They way he carries on you would think he would run for his life once free. Just curious, do your sphynx like to be held?

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If I try to pick mine up she scrambles to get on my shoulder and sit there. If I walk with her on my shoulder I hold onto her tail for stability. But she is very affectionate and will sit on my lap and cuddle. If she wakes me up in the morning I take her into the spare room to continue sleeping. She will lay with her head on my pillow with her arm over my neck. But she is not keen on me walking up to her, picking her up, and holding her.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Our one girl is like that. She prefers her cuddle time to be when SHE says it’s cuddle time. She is tolerant to be picked up etc, but will not stay long until she squirms lol. Yesterday I was in bed on my iPad and she came up and plopped on my chest stayed while pet her and then she got down to return and do it all over again. She’s our quirky girl.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Orpheus loves to be held. If you pick him up its instant purrs and then he will just walk about with you. If he isn't up for a cuddle he scrambles up onto your shoulder to hangout or just sits next to you for snuggles.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Agnes, is not a huge fan of being held. She will tolerate short stints sometimes. She will sit on a lap here and there and snuggles with me at night when it's bedtime. She has a whole bedtime routine where she will scratch at the blankets and then finds a spot at my side to curl up and I cover her with the corner of the blanket.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
My crew all three don't like to be picked up and carry around. They cuddle a lot and love to hang in my hoody. But only when they come to me and not when I pick them up or hold them!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kenzo loves to be held like a baby! I think it's because that's when I give him the best belly rubs. He will seek me out and 'beg' to be picked up. I think maybe he is mirroring my yorkie's behavior in that way... Another neat trick I didn't expect from him is when I squat down and call him from across the house, he will run at full speed and leap into my arms for cuddles. That's when he gets his intense motorcycle purrs going.

However, when he is in full wild-child mode, aka night playtime, he will wiggle free and 'attack' any hands trying to tame him. I got the best of both worlds; cuddle and playtime terror.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Binky hates to be picked up n held, when it’s ear n eye cleaning time I Hav to wrap her in a blanket! Everything is on her terms!

When I just pick her to get out the way or to answer the door, she’ll make her way up to my shoulders or head then we walk about!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In our house, there's no picking up or carrying around. Only when they choose to be in my lap.... but now and then I give them forceful kisses and hugs, but then I get the stinkeye! On the other hand there is lots of jumping and climbing up on shoulders and lots of T-shirts with holes....

tgvess

Lairian
Lucy lives for being held. Especially if you are sitting or laying down. She is extremely affectionate and will love on you all day long if you let her.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My first sphynx that we got as a kitten was happy to be wrapped up and carried like a baby. The two I have now that I adopted as adults are affectionate on their own terms. So, we just let them decide.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there great question thanks
My two are really different Cleo like to pick and choose her cuddle time , I must say she was more into cuddles before Bagins came home , Bagins loves to be petted but he soon gets fed up and wants to go cause mischief again ! Our little ginger ninja

But they love to be together Cleo pets Bagins like he is her baby lol Bagins does try his best to clean Cleo but we know what boys are like ( never wash behind the ears ah ah )
I feel they are very independent and always know what they want and when they want it , regardless
When they cuddle time it DEFO CUDDLE TIME !!!
Xxxx❤️❤️❤️❤️

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
From what we've learned about Uber so far he loves lap time with a blanket on top, hiding from the world! He will appreciate being picked up to investigate what's going on and spontaneous scoop ups for lovings but he's not really the carry around the house all day type. He's quite affectionate but still likes to do his own thing when he's awake and about.

Sld4064

Lairian
Chip loves cuddles all the time and he never Refuses them- could be because he’s still a baby but my Bengal was totally opposite even as a kitten and was very aloof- only came on his terms and laid at feet instead of lap.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When Max was a kitten, he loved to be picked up and held all the time. Instant purring would ensue. But then he got too old and too cool to be held like a baby! LOL. But he would cuddle hubby and I all the time. Recently (he is now almost 4 years old) he wants to be held by me and I've picked up on his mannerisms that indicate so. I will pick him up, cradle him in my arms and he instantly starts purring while I pet him. After anywhere from a couple of minutes to half an hour, he decides he's had enough. Clearly he's gotten over the "no, mom, I can't be seen being coddled by you" stage.

Min is a little different. If you pick her up, she's not fond of staying in your arms. However, she is very happy to climb out of your arms and up on your shoulders and stay there for an indeterminate period of time. She is definitely a big shoulder rider. And while you can't really hold and cuddle her, she will hold and cuddle you! And when she is cuddling you, you have to cuddle back. But she has to initiate.

Oh what fun creatures we have.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Frida has never liked to be held. She will sit on me when she likes, but doesn’t want me to pick her up. She always makes the most hilarious whining noises when I try.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@naomi -- admittedly I like picking her up just to hear those noises. They are so cracked. It's like she's being tortured. giggles.

Kitty Chaos

Lairian
It depends on Arya's mood. Sometimes she instantly scrambles onto your shoulders and other times she's happy to lay on her back in your arms and get her chin and tummy scratched.

Back