Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does your Sphynx play with your dog?

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sherlock is a bit unlike any cat I have ever had. I have 3 Italian Greyhounds, a Bloodhound and a Great Dane and Sherlock loves to play with them!! He attacks them and licks them. I mean even my Great Dane!!! My iggies wrestle with him and cuddle with him its very strange. They fight over beds and blankets in the house!! I've never experienced a cat like this. Anyone else?

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yay!! Glad my kitty isn't the only one!! Hopefully my next one will be the same. I'm so loving it!!!!

firehillqueen

Banned
Sherlock is kit-kin to Cadeau and Ciel and even cousin to Chimere' and they all play with the Chihuahuas, lay butt to butt with them and push at each other over lap space. So, yes, I would say the behavior is something we see daily. Fun aren't they?

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sherlock is kit-kin to Cadeau and Ciel and even cousin to Chimere' and they all play with the Chihuahuas, lay butt to butt with them and push at each other over lap space. So, yes, I would say the behavior is something we see daily. Fun aren't they?

Thats right!!! Sherlock says "Hello" to his kitty-kin :Smile:

ranalashae

Banned
I have a standard poodle, Ebony that Nala loves to wrestle with too! I'm amazed she has not gotten hurt by accident yet, you can tell Ebony is trying so hard to be gentle. Ebony will pounce with Nala in the middle of her legs, and Ebony will actually nudge Nala around on the floor and lick her... it's discussing to watch, (I usually yell at the dog to stop licking, ew!) but Nala just lays there being flung around and licked. She actually usually purrs really loud too!

So you are definitely not alone! I have never had a cat that acted like Nala either.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes! My 2 Sphynx, especially the kitten, will play with our dogs. That is something my 2 Ragdoll cats do not really do - they love to watch all the goings on between the dogs & Sphynx! It is a really neat behaviour to see! The kitten, Ishtar, wrestles with our Chinese Crested puppy, & the adult girl, Nefertiti, rolls on her back & bats at the dogs with her paws. They are the coolest cats!:ThumbsUp:

Last edited:

Chameleon924

Lairian
Splashie loves to play with us but as for our mini poodle AJ, she just uses him for his fur! LOL. When it's chilli in the house she will cuddle up to him and snuggle right in. If he moves she gets cranky and moves closed and snuggles in again. Other than that she can care less about poor AJ! LOL.

Bella07

Banned
You don't even know how happy I just got after reading this thread! It has always been a small dream of mine to have one of my dogs become friends with one of my cats. Currently, my cats ignore the dogs completely. But, I can tell that my Golden really wants to become friends with the cats and always tries to play with them. So there must be hope that my future Sphynx can become buddies with my Golden!! :Laugh:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
only 1 of my sphynx loves dogs. bronxe was raised with dogs and LOVES them!! he'll get on his back legs and box with them its soo cute!!
but my girls arent fans. they run when the dogs get close. i think it's because they weren't raised with dogs. i got Bea when she was 3 and Winny just a few month ago- she's 7. they tolerate the dogs. i'll catch them every so often do a rub-up (more like a rub-by lol) but thats it.

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Harry and Dahlia play with pug dog Romeo though Buffy does not. (She's a bit weird though in personality). They've even taught him to lay on the back of the couch like a cat and he bats at them with his paw like a cat. My sister thinks we need to get another dog before it's too late. :LOL:

BlueGirl

Lairian
This is so good to hear! I go to stay with my parents at the holidays and such and obviously Loki comes too. My parents have a cat and my loveably dog Paddy. Loki is the least fearful animal I've ever met he just loves Paddy and wants to run and play with him, which is great becuase Paddy is very playfull too and my parents cat dont aknowlege him!

But I'm always slightly hesetant, as Paddy is a big Staffie, I scared he'll hurt Loki if i let them loose together. Paddy tries to be gentle but he's just a ball of muscle and he's so hevy if he fell on Loki he would flaten him, and he gets to excited and jumps all over the place. So at the moment I only allow them to be together when Padds is sleepy

Do any of you with biger dog breeds worry about you kittys getting hurt? What about jelousy issues? Paddy is very much my dog and does sometimes get jelous of loki.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kate xx

danimcd

Lairian
i'm hoping mine will get along with my family beagle!
beagles generally have lots of energy and are very curious. ours used to watch over a hampster we rescued... lol very attentively... if he got stuck or escaped pilsner (our beagle lol) would let us know right away!!!bark bark bark!!! and once retrieved.... oh boy did that hampster get licked to the extream!!! i don't know why she does that, but pilsner always licks other animals, freaking weirdo! lol

Moonlight

Lairian
Azizah ignores the dogs. They are happy to extend the same courtesy. :)

Kya will come and let me know if Zee has knocked something down though. doG forbid.

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Abby and my Chihuahua, Gizmo are best buds. They chase each other through the house continually, once they tire, they find a sunny spot and sunbath for awhile. Abby cleans the poor dog, who really doesn't appreciate it. Honestly, my husband and I spend more time laughing at the two of them playing than we do watching TV. They are much more entertaining!

Back