Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dog heart worm medicine?

Inferno12

Banned
Rufus is on Heartgard plus for heartworm prevention and I was going to order some more off the internet and when I put them in my "cart", they suggested a generic version called valueheart. Does anyone have any experience with this generic brand? It will save me about $30 but if its not worth the saving I wont do it.

Any advise????

ktate88

Banned
Rufus is on Heartgard plus for heartworm prevention and I was going to order some more off the internet and when I put them in my "cart", they suggested a generic version called valueheart. Does anyone have any experience with this generic brand? It will save me about $30 but if its not worth the saving I wont do it.

Any advise????

Never heard of it. Honestly I'd look into Interceptor- does one more intestinal parasite than Heartgard and is less or the same price.

Also, before ordering medicines at an online pharmacy(ie: 1800petmeds) ask your vet if they will price match. That way you know the medicine you are getting is legitimate and will protect your Rufus from heartworms.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ktate- good advice.
Dawn- i give my dogs heartguard, but have never done generic, although i would probably consider it.

Inferno12

Banned
Ktate- good advice.
Dawn- i give my dogs heartguard, but have never done generic, although i would probably consider it.

Yes good advice. I am going to call my vet in on Monday and ask her what she thinks. I am definitely considering it because I have to buy to boxes for the beast. one of the brown and one of the blue since he is so big!:Surprise:

ktate88

Banned
Yes good advice. I am going to call my vet in on Monday and ask her what she thinks. I am definitely considering it because I have to buy to boxes for the beast. one of the brown and one of the blue since he is so big!:Surprise:

Oh the joys of giant breeds! But I love big dogs so one day I will be right there with you:Wink:

I have heard of one generic called iverheart-- not sure if it is still made.

Also, there is nothing wrong with using Ivermectin. It's sold for cattle/horses, though you can find the calculations for dogs by weight. It's the same medicine as heartguard, just not in a chewy form. Should be much cheaper than heartgard too

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
By the way- how's life with the new beast lol? How's Johnny reacting to a new kitty and a new giant dog :)

Bella07

Banned
Please let us know what your vet says! I should probably ask my vet as well, since I have 3 dogs, and heartguard does get quite expensive.

Nair Bare

Lairian
Be very careful when buying generics over the internet!! Knock-off drugs and counterfeit packaging are BIG internet rip-offs now! Whenever I see an internet ad stating...............cheap....discounted....... lowest price on the internet......my heart freezes! You have no way of knowing the quality of this drug or the reputation of the supplier. Many generic drugs are usually manufactured and dispensed from a jurisdiction (Australia, Mexico, Taiwan) which does not require a prescription. So what other safeguards are deemed unimportant by these suppliers and manufacturers? Valuheart, Tri-Heart and most other generics are made off-shore and shipped into the U.S. thus circumventing many requirements made by our government. If these products are not regulated, tested or graded there, why would I want to use them? What recourse would I have if these were proven worthless? Remember that six-month heartworm shot that was so disastrous and eventually banned?
Heartworm is a horrible death and I would not be willing to take a chance, especially since once the symptoms are noticeable, it is usually too late.

Also, some Great Danes, sight hounds, and Collie breed-lines have a sensitivity to some heartworm products, so keeping your vet in the loop, will prove wise at first. Once you and your vet have established the best product for your Great Dane, and the treatments show no side-effects, then go ahead and shop some of the reputable outlets for a better price if necessary. Personally, I would have difficulty knowing who to trust, so I want my vet right smack in the middle of everything.

Each medication for Heartworm, flea and tick control work differently so you may find this information sheet helpful...............
Heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) Infection and Prevention in Dogs

WARNING: If you read the entire packaging insert on Advantix, Protical, and some others, you will see these products are NOT recommended to use on dogs in households with CATS, rabbits and ferrets. If your cats lick the application spot, it may prove fatal.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh the joys of giant breeds! But I love big dogs so one day I will be right there with you:Wink:

I have heard of one generic called iverheart-- not sure if it is still made.

Also, there is nothing wrong with using Ivermectin. It's sold for cattle/horses, though you can find the calculations for dogs by weight. It's the same medicine as heartguard, just not in a chewy form. Should be much cheaper than heartgard too

Its a little scary to think that pet owners can just go online an order heartworm meds such as Ivermectin! I dont think the average person, not working in vet medicine is aware that it is not safe for use in Collies. Although everyone in vet medicine makes sure they are not prescribing it to that breed when selling it...it worries me to think owners could just point and click and end up poisoning their dog! Just some food for thought....

ktate88

Banned
Its a little scary to think that pet owners can just go online an order heartworm meds such as Ivermectin! I dont think the average person, not working in vet medicine is aware that it is not safe for use in Collies. Although everyone in vet medicine makes sure they are not prescribing it to that breed when selling it...it worries me to think owners could just point and click and end up poisoning their dog! Just some food for thought....

Very good point, thank you for adding that since I forgot.

I think the take home story here is do your homework, take your trusted veterinarians recommendation, and purchase from a veterinarian.

Inferno12

Banned
I talked to the vet today and the new office uses Interceptor. She said that she doesnt see a problem with me getting generic but she couldnt find any information on it in the research she did. She said the benefits of Heartguard are that there is a gurantee from the company and they will pay for vet bills if your dog gets heartworms and also that the dogs like it so you make sure that the dog gets the medicine it needs to instead of fighting with a pill that might not get taken.

She said its pretty much up to me and that the vet keeps tabs on the on line meds and stays in the range he finds on the internet. I think that I might just switch to the Interceptor because I know where its coming from and it has the other medicine in it for parasites too.

ktate88

Banned
I talked to the vet today and the new office uses Interceptor. She said that she doesnt see a problem with me getting generic but she couldnt find any information on it in the research she did. She said the benefits of Heartguard are that there is a gurantee from the company and they will pay for vet bills if your dog gets heartworms and also that the dogs like it so you make sure that the dog gets the medicine it needs to instead of fighting with a pill that might not get taken.

She said its pretty much up to me and that the vet keeps tabs on the on line meds and stays in the range he finds on the internet. I think that I might just switch to the Interceptor because I know where its coming from and it has the other medicine in it for parasites too.

Glad you got some good information! Interceptor is a great product :ThumbsUp: Good luck in your decision making :BigSmile:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Dawn~ just my 2 cents, we use Advantage multi on everyone, canine and feline. It takes care of HW, round, hook and whip worms as well as fleas. I like to stick to the tried and true products, Heartgaurd, intercepter and Advantage. Also I would never go generic, too many risks involved.
If you try the advantage Multi, it is a drop on liquid use these tips
1. do not apply for 48 hrs before and after a bath
2. remove any collars or bandannas as they will soak up some of the liquid

We put it on at night and everything is dry by morning.

Back