Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Duct Tape??

gooslapa

Lairian
..so i just opened the box for the cat tree.. set up was a breeze.. i laughed at all the reviews that said it was so hard to set up and it took hours.. literally under 20 mins set up time.. anyways.. one of the "cat condos" has a wall that is cracked and on the inside there is an obvious split that i know he will find and mess with or try to sharpen his claws on.. was wondering what you think i should do about this.. local pet store duznt do returns after so long :Angry: ..guess thats my fault for not reading the receipt.. ANYWAYS.. i was thinking just a strip of duct tape from top to bottom to cover it so he doesn't have the chance to notice it.. or is there a pet friendly wood glue.. any ideas?? (u cant really tell from the pic, but the crack goes all the way to the edge from the lil doorway, the split is about 2 inches long)

gooslapa

Lairian
sorry guys, just realized what section this is in, walked away from computer and lost my place.. i'de still appreciate the help though.. thnx all and have a good one!!.. i guess it could AAALMOST be health related.. in the sense that im worried about tape/glue etc and possible harm it could do haha

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would look into the glue first. My only concern would be that he would scratch at the duct tape snd try to pull it apart and eat it. Duct tape has those threads inside to keep is from tearing, it would be quite harmful if swallowed! My Fluffy would def. Take the chance to peel off a piece of duct tape and devour it!

Could you sand the crack down so it is flush with the other side so you don't have to use anything? Over him sharpening his claws, I would be worried about him scratching himself if he goes in there a lot. I use the cubbyhole of our cat condo to store the cat clothes since no one ever goes in there, lol.

Jen

admin

Administrator
Staff member
..so i just opened the box for the cat tree.. set up was a breeze.. i laughed at all the reviews that said it was so hard to set up and it took hours.. literally under 20 mins set up time.. anyways.. one of the "cat condos" has a wall that is cracked and on the inside there is an obvious split that i know he will find and mess with or try to sharpen his claws on.. was wondering what you think i should do about this.. local pet store duznt do returns after so long :Angry: ..guess thats my fault for not reading the receipt.. ANYWAYS.. i was thinking just a strip of duct tape from top to bottom to cover it so he doesn't have the chance to notice it.. or is there a pet friendly wood glue.. any ideas?? (u cant really tell from the pic, but the crack goes all the way to the edge from the lil doorway, the split is about 2 inches long)

A thin piece of wood, home depot, it’s almost looks like a wooded paint stirrer you get when you buy a gallon of paint to stir it, but a bit wider and thicker, two short wood screws, just enough to penetrate the slat of wood and the wood on the condo, no glue, no mess and about 5 bucks. Or cut a piece of the carpet from the bottom side of the cat tree condo in an inconspicuous place and glue it over the cracked area, once the glue dries I’m sure it's probably safe. Good luck!

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Good thinking admin. Goes to show guys are much better at coming up with fixes. My dad taught me to use duct tape for everything! Including fixing the car, and framing pictures. :Sweat:.
Jen

gooslapa

Lairian
thnx admin.. my quick fix was similar, used my box cutter from work and just cut a strip of cardboard from the cat tree box.. about the same size as the piece of wood you recommended.. fit it perfectly over the spot and stuffed a little bed in there so theres even less chance of him noticing anything.. but i will be using your method on my day off.. that was pretty much the original plan but i didn't kno if the materials would be safe.. thnx everyone.. have a great day all

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
What about covering with some sisal carpet or any other kind..cats love to scratch and rub against it, and you can staple it on with a staple gun(heavy duty type)

snowbead

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We had the same problem with ours but the way the guys go after any tape on any package I guess I wouldn't use it either. We simply bought a small piece of carpet and stapled it in with a staple gun, the guys lost interest and haven't touched it at all. Its held up for almost a year now.

Back