Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Eye Problems

Tasha2511

Lairian
Hi @Toa and Ross thank you for checking in.
Well... She's doing so much better. We spent hours playing with her toy today.
I went back to work today and the poor girl, being that she is on a restrictive diet... Only had one sachet this morning. She must've been so hungry that she found bread in a bad, ripped it open and nibbled on few corners. I put out her old dry food - taste of the wild, and now she has diarrhoea again. I know its because of the change of food... But she is hungry!! The Royal Canin GI dry is coming on Friday... Don't know what to do... Keep her on Royal Canin only but she will starve whilst I'm at work... Or keep leaving out Taste if the Wild to keep her sustained and have diarrhoea?

Was giving her eye drops just now and I don't know if its my imagination or fear... But to me, her eyes look slightly off. Sunken in may be? Just sore? Can't work it out...

Excuse the food on our nose... We're a very messy eaters.

Attachments

• IMG_20170815_002940.jpg
    IMG_20170815_002940.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20170815_002947.jpg
    IMG_20170815_002947.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 31

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Happy to hear Luna's doing so much better!

Do you have the wet food of Royal Canin GI? Do you know they also have kibbles of RC GI? Maybe you can free feed her the kibbles and give wet food when you're home?

Her eyes look normal (and beautiful:)) to me. A bit watery but that's normal when you just gave the eye drops

Sending more healing vibes to be sure!

Tasha2511

Lairian
@Toa and Ross That was before the eye drops...

We have RC GI and Sensitive in wet yes. I alternate between the two. I have ordered RC GI dry but thats not being delivered till friday o_O then I can give it to her whenever I am out. I'm going to try and stop off at various vets today and see if anyone has even a small bag in stock. See if I can contact RC and find out who stocks it.
My vet isnt getting it in till friday either. Normal pet shops don't stock the prescription diet foods either - weird if you ask me.

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Found a local vet...where receptionist advised me "I dont know if i can sell you our last bag" - er, are you going to eat it yourself? Their vet said it was ok...So from today, she will have access to dry when she is hungry

Oh ya! This is so great I personally think her eyes look much better!!!! Maybe a tad irritated on the in eye but nothing bad!!!! Did you get any type of firm diagnosis? If it is coronavirus it looks like she's kicking it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasha2511

Lairian
@dare2Bbare just the coronavirus for now. We're still waiting for results on uveitis and few others. They take the longest.

Oh I agree it doesn't look half as bad. I haven't given her pupil dilating drops yet... I want to see it before I give them to her later.

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@dare2Bbare just the coronavirus for now. We're still waiting for results on uveitis and few others. They take the longest.

Oh I agree it doesn't look half as bad. I haven't given her pupil dilating drops yet... I want to see it before I give them to her later.

Well I'm crossing my fingers that it's nothing else and she kicking coronavirus butt hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasha2511

Lairian
I spoke to vet about her sneezing...he thinks its Herpes :wideyed:eek:_O:eek: We are seeing him on Friday morning. No other test results yet either, so he will chase them.
Added 500mg of Lysine to her food tonight.

I just want my little girl better.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Tasha2511 oh poor Luna and poor you! Herpes is something you can control with medicine although it will come back regulary. Lysine will help to keep the herpes under control
And they better hurry up with the test results otherwise I'm personaly coming to get them!

Keep sending healing vibes

Tasha2511

Lairian
LOL @Toa and Ross
When I spoke to the vet yesterday, he said another patient had the same test done a week before Luna (which was last week)...and they just got their results this week...so it may be that it just takes time to run this test. I know he is doing his very best with her...

We will see what he says tomorrow.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
All fingers and paws crossed for the vet visit. Really hope results are back now! More healing vibes to Luna and hugs to you.

Tasha2511

Lairian
Hi All,
We have received the final result for FIP testing. That, together with the progress she had made, and various other results, they concluded that she is FIP Negative.
So thats that...

Eyes...they had sort of returned to normal, but in a weird way. They are no longer cloudy, which is a great sign, and they are no longer green / yellow. But...they are not blue either.
They have gone grey on the outer, and grey blue towards the pupil. Both pupils react normal, but at certain sizes they blurr out. Which I find weird. I had mentioned this to the vet but he said they look fine. This weekend I almost panicked...well I did...because she was looking at me, and it looked cloudy. But then I got close, and I think where her eye colour is now more grey than blue, and it was bright, it looked like that from the distance.
She is still producing goo from her eyes...its like beige / brown...and very very sticky! Comes out like a ball, so I wipe it off with my finger sometimes. And where its gooey, you can see it stretching from her eye a bit as well where it still hadn't "cooked" fully.
They still dont know whats caused the eyes to go like that.
But I think, I found what may have caused it. Which I will mention to the vet on Friday.
I was watching her in her litter tray. Normally cats just dig with their paws, to create a little well for them to pee into. OH NO, NOT LUNA!! She was digging with her paws, and spreading it with her nose. She had litter all over her face!

Lymph nodes - they still dont know whats caused it, or where to begin looking. What lymph node swelling is typically caused by, has been tested, and she was negative.

Intestinal Inflammation - Same, no idea. I know that at the end of June / beginning of July, we tried a different brand of raw - it was day old minced chics and minced rabbit (bone included). After chics, she had diarrhea. Then the minced rabbit...she was on and off with diarrhea. All in all, she had the runs for 2 weeks, on and off. We took her off raw, and started her on boiled chicken. She got better...then we put her back on her usual raw mince (beef mince with supplement). She was fine for 2 days...then back to runs. Then she stole whiskas, and then the eye started. Hence we are on GI Royal Canin until further notice.

Yesterday, she started something weird.
She would sit and cry. Look at you and cry. You approach her, she runs away. We tried everything - taking her in the garden. She laid down on a chair and cried. She didnt want to be cuddled. She was constantly being naughty jumping on the TV, and almost pulled it down - the tv stand lifted...she got a little telling off. I dont know if this was crying for attention or what. But this is definitely the first for her. She didnt want to play...we tried. With her favourite stick and everything...Eventually, bed time, i put the tv on in the bedroom with birds on it, and she was watching it sitting on the bed. Then fell asleep. So I dont know if its because she had a tummy ache, there was no poo all day! She had the runs on Saturday...gave her imodium and she was fine after.

Last edited:

Tasha2511

Lairian
We have diagnosis.
The lab ran a test for Bartonella and it came back positive, higher than 9. Normal range is 5.5 or below.

We have antibiotics for 10 days, and a follow up ultrasound to check her lymph nodes and intestines

Tasha2511

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow thank you, so happy that it's just a bacteria!!

@Toa and Ross of course. From my understanding it's a bacteria, from coming in contact with infected fleas and ticks. Weird thing is, she hasn't come in contact with either one.
No one in the house has them.

It's not common in UK, the vet has never diagnosed it before. So...this is a first.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Thanks for explaining! Good to know it's a bacteria and she'll get better. Pfffew what a relief.
Strange that she did get this bacteria. But now she will be forever the first naked girl that had this bacteria!

Back